Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
Post new topic  Board index » Amsterdam & Netherlands » Amsterdam  Page 2 of 3
 [ 42 posts ]  Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Re: Brit Lads...
Posted: 2011-06-13, 1:19 pm

gazzaSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Posts: 395
Location: England
Reply to topic 
invictaguy123456 wrote:
Girls immediately have their defence up when they know you are English, and because of that one has to work twice as hard.

I'm sorry but that is absolute nonsense in my experience. I've visited probably dozens of girls over the years and i've never once noticed any negativity because I am English.

neurosynth wrote:
there is no doubt in my mind that there have been a disproportionate number of times I've seen groups of these guys expressing absolute contempt for the working girls. It's beyond disrespect, it's obvious and overt contempt.

This is hard for me to say because it may come off as a type of racism.

It's not racism at all, it's fact unfortunately. There are lots of girls I know who will not let North African or Middle Eastern men into their room at all. No exceptions.
Re: Brit Lads...
Posted: 2011-06-13, 7:59 pm

invictaguy123456
Posts: 17
Reply to topic 
Well, Congrats Gazza...You've probably never turned up at a girl's door too drunk or stoned. We need more men like you wearing the flag. Keep up the good work and pass the word along...

Davey boy...All far too predictable from you I'm afraid. Remember though, you'll catch more flies with honey than you will do with vinegar...Or should that be Pinot rather than Lager. Oh well...

So, to recap...

Yes, there is a reason you get the many reports about the drunk English in Amsterdam. They're there!
For a far more chilled experience, visit midweek without the stag party crew mentality. Simply put, more drunk English blokes, less enjoyable experience. One real instance where less of something is more!

Here's three "EXPERIENCES" to share with you as requested by DP. Follow these and good times are sure to follow...

1. Stay at the Krasnapolsky.
2. Pay the girls a little extra. You'll be amazed at what you get in return.
3. Dim Sum at Oriental City should be mandatory!
Re: Brit Lads...
Posted: 2011-06-13, 10:18 pm

slim-bergh
Posts: 40
Reply to topic 
invictaguy123456 ,seems you have your big wooden spoon out,ready for some sirring : No real contribution in 4 years,apart from some exaggerated comments about British folk (probably commoners to yourself),& a sarcastic idiom response to Davey1800 (who --by the way-- has contributed over a 1'000 more positive posts than your kind self).

I look forward to a positive contribution,with your 9Th post (in 4 years).

Regards.
Re: Brit Lads...
Posted: 2011-06-14, 12:18 am

invictaguy123456
Posts: 17
Reply to topic 
slim-bergh wrote:
invictaguy123456 ,seems you have your big wooden spoon out,ready for some sirring : No real contribution in 4 years,apart from some exaggerated comments about British folk (probably commoners to yourself),& a sarcastic idiom response to Davey1800 (who --by the way-- has contributed over a 1'000 more positive posts than your kind self).

I look forward to a positive contribution,with your 9Th post (in 4 years).

Regards.


Coming from someone with only 37 posts that's laughable.

If you are going to get personal, please use spell check and proper grammar and punctuation.
Nothing makes one look more of a fool than trying to appear smart without the command of basic English and a keyboard.

I look forward to your 38th post presented in a proper manner.
Re: Brit Lads...
Posted: 2011-06-14, 12:27 am

brunno69Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Posts: 163
Location: Essex, UK
Reply to topic 
I agree with invictaguy123456 to a certain extent. Don't think I've ever seen a 'scrap' in Amsterdam, but in the shops, cafes, and in the streets, if you come across a loud obnoxious crowd that you'd rather avoid because you just want to chill out, they are usually British. But is this maybe just because so many Brits visit here because of the close proximity, or maybe because they are here on a 'stag' and not to chill out (don't know what stags are like in other countries)?
The bad 'rep' of Brits abroad probably started in the '70's with the Spanish tourist industry? All those Brits abroad getting wrecked on the cheap lager… but this was the market they wanted to attract so what did they expect? The main visitors to Benidorm I read are UK, Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands.
invictaguy123456, you cite football hooliganism in one of your posts, I think all of these countries have had their problems with this, so I don't think it is just a UK problem. Also, if you don't want to malign yourself, why don't you just say you are Scandinavian? All those guys speak excellent English and, it's unlikely the girl will speak that particular language herself, and you won't be attached to the Brit stigma ;-)

_________________
Wishing I was in the city of dreams
Re: Brit Lads...
Posted: 2011-06-14, 3:37 am

PlayItAgainSamSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Posts: 824
Reply to topic 
brunno69 wrote:
Also, if you don't want to malign yourself, why don't you just say you are Scandinavian? All those guys speak excellent English and, it's unlikely the girl will speak that particular language herself, and you won't be attached to the Brit stigma ;-)


This is along the lines of many Americans claiming to be Canadian? Personally - and I stress that this is totally personally - I'd rather not misrepresent myself. That said, I personally haven't encountered any specific nationalities that have been obnoxious in any way - but I have seen obnoxious crowds. Believe it or not, the crowds that irritated me the most were the family crowds in the RLD taking pictures like there's no tomorrow. I was amazed that nobody grabbed the cameras from Gramma and dunked her in the canal.

Just sayin'... :)

Sam
Re: Brit Lads...
Posted: 2011-06-14, 6:01 am

davey1800Power Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
Posts: 1311
Location: UK
Reply to topic 
lol, Invictaguy finally reveals himself to be upper class and/or very rich. We didn't know, so please forgive us. I thought we were commenting from a working class point of view. I checked my spulling, so I hope it is ok.

On a more serious note, as long as we here conduct ourselves well, then at least we've done our bit for UK-European relations.
Re: Brit Lads...
Posted: 2011-06-14, 6:52 am

Silverback
Posts: 141
Reply to topic 
Hi Invictaguy,

I'd never regret posing a question such as this on a board as 'open-minded' and reputable as ignatzmice.

I want real answers. Call it a little 'social experiment' if you will, and I'm pleased with most of what I've seen here.

In reply to your comments, I can say as a young Brit myself I've never encountered a negative experience when mentioning that I'm a Brit to one of the girls.

I must also state that I find it ironic that you say 'Silverback, you shouldn't have posted this as the insults will only get personal' and yet you are the only member who has done just that.

Ah well.

You also make it clear you're relying upon 25 years of experience in the Dam. That's fair enough. I have not even seen that amount of time on Earth.

Maybe things have changed now.

I think the number of Brits visiting the Dam in recent years has decreased. But hey, what do I know?

Peace

Silverback.

_________________
If you dance with the devil, the devil don't change. The devil changes you.
Re: Brit Lads...
Posted: 2011-06-19, 1:05 am

Lollipopz
Posts: 11
Location: U.K
Reply to topic 
Roland wrote:
My view is that a loud or obnoxious or rowdy (any combination) drunk group within Amsterdam but especially in the red light district between the hours of 6 pm and about 1 am is usually British.

While I never seen them cause fights they most certainly do urinate in undesireable places, obstruct alleys, block pedestrian flow and congregate in front of girls' windows making fun and yelling.

Actual troublemakers, in my opinion, tend to be from other nationalities.



To be honest, I am a female who will be travelling to the Dam with my b/f soon and I am not looking forward to seeing or coming across any brit lads/groups - urinating and obstructing alleys, blocking pedestrians and being a general nuisance - why cant they just behave?! It gives a bad rep to every british tourist and it will be the beginning of the end if they carry on like this.

In my past recollection of being abroad they do tend to cause the most trouble and its no wonder the girls in the RLD are starting to be weary of brit customers as Im sure they dont need that hassle.
Also, why do brits have to always over-do it (especially with alcohol) as the amount of vomit and piss Ive seen in the streets whilst hearing british accents shouting/singing is an absolute disgrace.
Just behave and show some respect when visiting any country - no matter what your citizenship.
Re: Brit Lads...
Posted: 2011-06-19, 2:10 am

Silverback
Posts: 141
Reply to topic 
Lollipopz.

Please realize this comment/rant is the viewpoint of one person.

I don't think it fairly represents the experience you'll have when you visit the Dam.

I'd be surprised if you come across many Brits at all. And the chances of you running into the sort that that lad describes are few and far between.

Enjoy your Dam trip!

Peace.

_________________
If you dance with the devil, the devil don't change. The devil changes you.
Re: Brit Lads...
Posted: 2011-06-19, 5:15 am

Roland
Posts: 474
Location: Amsterdam
Reply to topic 
Your comment is noted SB.

However if you check some of the public statements by Cohen and Asser over the last couple of years, you will note direct references to British males.

These contributed in part to Council passing the rules/laws that they did as well as providing the direction for the fashion windows.

Regards, Roland

_________________
There is a lot more to Amsterdam than weed and a RLD. If you have an open mind, and open eyes, you will find much much more.
Re: Brit Lads...
Posted: 2011-06-19, 6:44 am

davey1800Power Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
Posts: 1311
Location: UK
Reply to topic 
This Brit-bashing is not on tbh. I'd like to hear what our Amsterdam based friends here have to say. Come on, us good guys need your support ;)
Re: Brit Lads...
Posted: 2011-06-19, 11:39 am

tonymunch Power Kat
Posts: 682
Location: brighton, uk
Reply to topic 
i wasn't gonna get involved in this thread, having already been invoved with a similar one a few years ago...

first of all, and this is directed to Lollipopz, some people in this thread are making it sound like the RLD is always full of drunk shouting urinating puking brits causing obstructions all the time, and this is just not the case. you "might" be unlucky an see one of the above at some point in your trip. however in my many trips to amsterdam, the only drunk puking brit i saw was myself, and that was nowhere near the RLD!! (i'm not proud of this at all btw!!)

as for gangs of marauding drunk brits, i have to agree with some of the other guys - on a busy night in the RLD (weekends and Ajax matches!) you'll see all manner of gangs of drunk guys, but it'll be all nationalities.

my last weekend trip, during the world cup, i saw more foreign stag parties than i did english ones. and on that saturday night in the RLD i was definately in the minority.

its a shame that brit guys get a bad rep, cos theres many other nationalities that are just as bad (or worse). and it bugs me that as a brit, i automatically get lumped in with this type of person. i must say, that over the years, i've met more decent brits than "marauding gangs of", and as much as me and my friends like a beer and a smoke, and might get a little spirited at times, we are always polite and respectful to whoever we meet - and i've met many more brits who are exactly the same.

_________________
boobs, beer, tattoos and punk rock!
http://tonymunch.blogspot.com
Re: Brit Lads...
Posted: 2011-06-19, 1:15 pm

PlayItAgainSamSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Posts: 824
Reply to topic 
tonymunch wrote:

....as a brit, i automatically get lumped in with this type of person.... .


Welcome to the world of stereotyping. Although hardly in the same category, I recall once being in a restaurant in Amsterdam, and the waitress bringing over a bottle of ketchup that I had not asked for (yet!), and when I thanked her for being pro-active, I got a snooty "You people always want ketchup".

Granted, like most people Stateside, I do have a thing for ketchup and would have probably asked....but there you go!

Sam
Re: Brit Lads...
Posted: 2011-06-19, 5:46 pm

withnail Power Kat
Posts: 904
Location: amsterdam
Reply to topic 
I’ve had similar experiences where restaurant staff cannot reconcile the fact of you being English but with no requirement for chips (I very rarely eat them). In fact the notion of chips soaked in mayo fills me with dread. Guess I’ll never make it to true Nederlander status, however many haring broodjes I devour.
Re: Brit Lads...
Posted: 2011-06-19, 10:44 pm

BoneJockeyPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
Posts: 782
Location: New York, NY USA
Reply to topic 
I'll take the frites and pass on the haring. I guess that means it takes two of us to make one Nederlander.
Re: Brit Lads...
Posted: 2011-06-19, 10:49 pm

PlayItAgainSamSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Posts: 824
Reply to topic 
BoneJockey wrote:
I'll take the frites and pass on the haring. I guess that means it takes two of us to make one Nederlander.


Those frites could make you hard of haring... (rimshot!)
Re: Brit Lads...
Posted: 2011-06-24, 1:51 pm

Thepacifist
Posts: 295
Reply to topic 
I've never seen any Brits causing any significant trouble, making shouting.singing in the street but i see Dutch college/uni students doing this in huge numbers so who gives a toss. Never stop being proud of where you're from, forget how other people portray your country, just be yourself.

_________________
PEACE
Re: Brit Lads...
Posted: 2011-06-27, 10:46 pm

HolyShitBSE
Posts: 312
Location: England, UK
Reply to topic 
i gotta say i PERSONALLY find it's more the slick, street-wear / shiny jacket eastern males that are intimidating. i've seen more gangs of these pestering girls than drunk british lads. some of them just seem to have evil glints in thier eyes...and i mean all this in a totally non racist way. perhaps it's just me.

_________________
porno creep
Re: Brit Lads...
Posted: 2011-06-27, 10:49 pm

davey1800Power Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
Posts: 1311
Location: UK
Reply to topic 
HolyShitBSE wrote:
i gotta say i PERSONALLY find it's more the slick, street-wear / shiny jacket eastern males that are intimidating


Finally, somebody said it :) Got to love those HUGE puffed up jackets.. not!
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Board index » Amsterdam & Netherlands » Amsterdam  Page 2 of 3
 [ 42 posts ]  Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum