Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 42 posts ]  1, 2, 3  Next
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Brit Lads...
Posted: 2011-06-12, 10:37 am

Silverback
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Hi all,

Now I'm a Brit lad. I know we Irish and English are well known across the globe for our binge drinking but all I seem to read on this forum, mostly in trip reports, is the same old cliche:

"The Dam is filled with single men roaming the streets, a few curious couples and some drunk British lads--"

Is it really that bad?

Now I've been to Dam like 10-15 times, often with a Brit lad or two, and can honestly say I don't see or hear many British accents when walking through.

If I would, my ears would prick up as I know I'd found someone to have a good ole chinwag to.

I've come across a few Brits, but mostly middle-aged single blokes looking for a good time.

Meh.

Peace

Silverback.

Last edited by Silverback on 2011-06-12, 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Brit Lads...
Posted: 2011-06-12, 10:53 am

Aardvark
I am from the U.K. (so maybe I have a slightly biased view on this) but I tend to agree with you.

I went to Amsterdam in July 2010 and in March 2011 and spent the majority of the time in the Red Light District of a night. Both times I went were with another friend (a different one each trip) and both times over weekends (Friday through Monday and Thursday through Sunday respectively) so my friends and I should have saw a varied representation of Amsterdam tourists.

I can only recollect 3 groups of lads from my first trip and 2 from my second. They certainly weren't marauding everywhere being loud, drunk and vomiting everywhere. The Liverpudlians from the first trip were very friendly in fact and we had a good laugh and some banter whilst walking down the Tromp.

Whilst I have no doubt the stereotype holds some truths (especially in certian places in the world), I consider Amsterdam to be one place where there does not seem to be one type of tourist. It is truly varied!

It confuses me how people from such a small island seem to be everywhere. People say we are a blight on Amsterdam, Prague, Riga, Dublin, Barcelona, the Costa Del Sol, Berlin, Hamburg, Ibiza, Magaluf, Zante, etc, etc. Surely it can't all be true?!
Posted: 2011-06-12, 11:00 am

Silverback
I agree with ya mate, and despite being from the UK myself, I wouldn't say I'm biased at all.

In fact, coming from this island, I'd be more inclined to be overly critical of my 'homeys'. (I use that term for lack of a better word lol)

Perhaps those with little knowledge of the wide variety of white Europeans roaming around in the Dam may jump to conclusions when seeing a 'marauding' drunken group of tourists. They could write them off as just being 'Brits' 'cos they reek of alcohol...

However, despite spending both day and night in the Dam (mostly the RLD for all it has to offer), I'd say my 'mongering' times are after 1am... I'll find myself getting back to the hotel by 5am most times...

So perhaps the drunk Brits are sleeping it off by the time I venture out for a proper 'visit'.

=P

Peace

Silverback.

Posted: 2011-06-12, 1:11 pm

Anglofil
Dear Britons, and all forum members, let me give my little opinion on this subject, as being non-British.
Given I'm a globetrotter, I must agree with thousands that 'a group of loud revelling Brits' does exist in most places where you go on vacation, and you'd tell your friends at home about them. Amsterdam is just one of the places where you bump into them.
But, what is also typical about the British group of lads is how cheerful and friendly they are. It always givs me a good mood to see and hear them. Very very seldom they are annoying or aggressive.
As someone else said, virtually every nationality is to be found in Amsterdam, and I feel they all have their differencies for better or worse depending on your own origin. Without pointing someone out, I've found a few nationalities to be rather cocky and aggressive when being drunk and in groups. They have to challenge other males, by nature, it seems.
As I'll be spending a brave 2 or 3 weeks of in Amsterdam RLD in July, I'm sure to meet many cheerful Brits!
Posted: 2011-06-12, 3:57 pm

Silverback
Well said.

Guess it depends on the season too.

I usually go Winter time...

I'll be headin over in July next so maybe I'll witness a different 'scene' hehe

Either way, really looking forward to it. As always.

Peace

Posted: 2011-06-12, 4:40 pm

slim-bergh
When I'm in Amsterdam,I can spot "The Brits" a mile off.
In all the years I have been visiting the place,I have never seen them causing any trouble.
I see a few in fancy dress,probably on a stag do,& it makes me smile to see them.
I had one northern English guy trying to take the piss out of my push bike,saying 'where'd you get your bike from',replied 'err,from a bike shop',it was all good humored.
Other than that,I hardly even notice them.
All I see in Amsterdam is a mish-mash of different nationalities.
The only bad thing (about the English),that anyone in Amsterdam has told me,came from Alex (Tromp 7-5).
She wasn't happy about the amount of piss taking (from the English lads),about her eyebrows.

I think,it's the hotter counties where the Brit lads get their bad (mad dog) rep from.
They can drink all day in hotter countries,& the sun definitely has an effect on their behavior.

Last edited by slim-bergh on 2011-06-12, 5:44 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Posted: 2011-06-12, 5:05 pm

Silverback
I'm glad I started this thread as I'm slowly realising 'our reputation' might not be as bad as it's been painted out to be...

Interestingly, (on your comment from Alex) I've been noticed alot of the Italian and Greek folk (and I don't wanna generalise too much, so I'm not limiting this attribution to them alone) seem to take the piss out of the girls.

On many an occasion, I've walked through the crowded alleys near Sexyland and seen a group of 3 or 4 of these lads just messing around with the women.

It's clear they won't go in, they just see how cheeky they can get and how far they can push it.

Still, I've never been one to submit to prejudice so I know it's not just them - but this does piss me off.

But as we all have seen, alot of the girls can handle themselves very well when this happens. =P

(Which is even greater to see!)

And as we've said before, one of the Dam's highlights (for me at least) is the mish-mash of cultures.

I love chillin out in a coffee shop and chattin to random folk from all over the globe. Met alot of people that I'll remember for my lifetime.

Speaking of the Brits, I remember meetin a cool Manc lad and a Southerner... Got on well with them but it made me laugh as the Manc lad asked if I'd been in prison before. I told him 'Nah mate'.

Then he whipped out his iPad and started showin us some YouTube vids. xD

So prejudice flies in all directions. =P

Posted: 2011-06-12, 7:13 pm

invictaguy123456
Here's the reality check as they say...

As an English bloke who has been visiting since the mid 80's, nearly every instance of trouble I have seen over the last 25 years has involved, unfortunately, my fellow countryman and too much alcohol. I can't recall an incident that didn't have some English voice involved somewhere...

It was because of these "wankers" I stopped going at weekends over 10 years ago, and now enjoy a peaceful midweek trip where there is usually very little trouble, or no trouble, simply because there are very few English there.

Girls immediately have their defence up when they know you are English, and because of that one has to work twice as hard. The more educated here could enhance their visit considerably by learning how to speak another language and not drink so much...

But I doubt it...
Posted: 2011-06-12, 9:42 pm

davey1800Power Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
invictaguy123456 wrote:

Girls immediately have their defence up when they know you are English, and because of that one has to work twice as hard. The more educated here could enhance their visit considerably by learning how to speak another language and not drink so much...

But I doubt it...

No... the girls love it when they know you're English, I can assure you of that. The Brits have a very good reputation, and rightly so. Sure, the majority of groups of men on a weekend are Brits, but they're having a great time. Being drunk and walking the streets singing and dancing whilst wearing a "mankini" isn't a crime is it? (legally it may be I suppose, but you know what I mean...)

I won't even muddy the waters by saying who the worst offenders are, but it certainly isn't your fellow countrymen.

Silverback, you may have meant well when you posted this thread, but I can assure you it will only end in tears. Let's fast forward a day and we'll be witnessing yet another thread getting locked by our poor friend Bluto. Let's give him a break and keep all threads positive, yeah? :P
Posted: 2011-06-12, 10:06 pm

BlutoBlutarsky Admin
davey1800 wrote:
Silverback, you may have meant well when you posted this thread, but I can assure you it will only end in tears. Let's fast forward a day and we'll be witnessing yet another thread getting locked by our poor friend Bluto. Let's give him a break and keep all threads positive, yeah? :P

No, no, we encourage spirited debate here. It's fairly entertaining so far. And it would be premature to lock this one... we haven't even seen true bigotry or savage personal attacks yet! ;-)

Posted: 2011-06-12, 10:42 pm

slim-bergh
Nice one Bluto! No need to put the brakes on yet.

I don't really know where invictaguy123456 is coming from when he states that "the girls have their defences up",when dealing with the English.Most of the girls (Bulgarian) I've seen tell me 'I thought you were from here' ,when I tell them that I come from the UK.There is no change in their mood at all towards me.If anything it helps with communicating: my English is good,there's is too (most of the time),so everything's cool.
With regards to "Brits causing trouble",I've never really witnessed this happening in Amsterdam: I can't buy that either.
There are a few dick heads,but that's the same with any other type of nationality.
The English are great! There's no other humour like it,most of the time it's good spirited,& rarely turn nasty (in Amsterdam).

Respect!

Last edited by slim-bergh on 2011-06-12, 11:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Posted: 2011-06-12, 11:37 pm

retro Power Kat
I've never had any problems with any of the girls , quite alot of them have said they like the british guys

and i can't recall seeing any causing any trouble ,maybe being a bit loud after a few drinks but that's it.
Posted: 2011-06-13, 12:11 am

invictaguy123456
You call it as you see it...

After a quarter of a century and many, many visit's that's what I've seen. If there's a group of loud drunk blokes, they're usually British. Outside a girls window, being obnoxious and gesturing stupidly, usually British, windows smashed, urinating in the street when there's a Uri 10 yards away, yup, you've guessed it...and on it goes...

Tell a girl where you are from, and the first words are usually "You all drink too much"....The reputation precedes, and it's not positive.

I'm glad I never have to suffer another Stag weekend there again...
Posted: 2011-06-13, 12:20 am

davey1800Power Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
invictaguy123456 wrote:

Outside a girls window, being obnoxious and gesturing stupidly, usually British, windows smashed, urinating in the street when there's a Uri 10 yards away, yup, you've guessed it...and on it goes...

I have to disagree 100% here. If you don't like your own country, then that's fine. But don't drag the rest of us down with your malaise please ;)
Posted: 2011-06-13, 12:29 am

neurosynthPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
My perception is that the young Brits *do* tend to block commerce for the girls. Just about every day on every trip I'll see a small loud crowd of them blocking a window/door as they dare and taunt each other to go in. Generally the girl will just smile and wait, hoping that there will be some kind of payoff even though there usually isn't. In any case the crowd doesn't really last all that long.

Most importantly I don't think I've ever seen *mean spirited* behavior from the Brits towards the girls. It's usually just a crowd of young guys well into their drink, and maybe they are a bit oblivious to others because they are too busy having their rowdy fun.

But small groups of (typically) Moroccan young men *are* often mean spirited. They may be nice guys when alone, and there are probably groups of them I don't notice because they are well mannered...but...there is no doubt in my mind that there have been a disproportionate number of times I've seen groups of these guys expressing absolute contempt for the working girls. It's beyond disrespect, it's obvious and overt contempt.

This is hard for me to say because it may come off as a type of racism. I don't believe it is, I believe it's objective observation. I certainly don't think it's somehow genetically determined behavior. But I do think that the expectations and attitudes towards women found in many Islamic cultures simply do not play well in the RLD.

Posted: 2011-06-13, 12:52 am

invictaguy123456
davey1800 wrote:
invictaguy123456 wrote:

Outside a girls window, being obnoxious and gesturing stupidly, usually British, windows smashed, urinating in the street when there's a Uri 10 yards away, yup, you've guessed it...and on it goes...

I have to disagree 100% here. If you don't like your own country, then that's fine. But don't drag the rest of us down with your malaise please ;)

That's fine. You have your point of view, and I have my 25 years of experience.

The country's fine too...it's a certain small minority of people that's the problem. That sort of denial doesn't help either. You probably didn't think there was anything wrong with football hoolies in the 70's and 80's either...

Of course not every British bloke there is a problem, but the majority of what I have seen has usually involved us. I have for many years made a point of telling the girls where I am from, but always counter with "But not the normal type", which is usually greeted with a big smile that speaks volumes...

So, brush up on your foreign vernacular, try to like a nice Pinot Grigio, and watch the girls be suitably impressed and your experience enhanced...
Posted: 2011-06-13, 1:49 am

Roland Power Kat
My view is that a loud or obnoxious or rowdy (any combination) drunk group within Amsterdam but especially in the red light district between the hours of 6 pm and about 1 am is usually British.

While I never seen them cause fights they most certainly do urinate in undesireable places, obstruct alleys, block pedestrian flow and congregate in front of girls' windows making fun and yelling.

Actual troublemakers, in my opinion, tend to be from other nationalities.

Regards, Roland

Posted: 2011-06-13, 1:55 am

akaDrPussy Moderator
With all those years of experience invictaguy and having joined the board in 2007 I was wondering have you ever had any inclination to share your experiences and make a meaningful contribution to the site?

Posted: 2011-06-13, 2:39 am

invictaguy123456
akaDrPussy wrote:
With all those years of experience invictaguy and having joined the board in 2007 I was wondering have you ever had any inclination to share your experiences and make a meaningful contribution to the site?

I thought that was what I was doing now. Silly me....

A nice try at deflection DP, but let's keep on the subject matter please!
Posted: 2011-06-13, 6:04 am

davey1800Power Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
invictaguy123456 wrote:
So, brush up on your foreign vernacular, try to like a nice Pinot Grigio, and watch the girls be suitably impressed and your experience enhanced...

No thanks, I'll give that a miss. You're the type of Brit I'd avoid tbh. If you don't like Britain so much, perhaps don't mention it?
 [ 42 posts ]  1, 2, 3  Next

Jump to: