Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 10 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Amsterdam in winter
Posted: 2014-05-08, 9:37 pm

grimnul Power Kat
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Well, I just got back from my last trip a few days ago, and I'm already missing Amsterdam. I'm thinking I might take another trip out towards the end of the year. Maybe October, November, or December. I've been out in October before, but never later in the year than that.

What's Amsterdam like in winter? Does the RLD slow down at all? Most of the girls still be available? Does it get less crowded? Would it be cheaper for me to go then? I talked to Max about it briefly, she said everything was basically still the same, except everyone wore more clothes and was grumpier. Sound about right?

Are there any events or holidays or anything I should be aware of?

The cold doesn't bother me. I'm Canadian, and I doubt it gets as cold as it does here. Having less crowds around would be great.
Re: Amsterdam in winter
Posted: 2014-05-08, 10:16 pm

Carice Liefde Power Kat
Hi,

grimnul wrote:
What's Amsterdam like in winter?

Been there in October, November and December.

Quote:
Does the RLD slow down at all? Most of the girls still be available? Does it get less crowded? Would it be cheaper for me to go then? I talked to Max about it briefly, she said everything was basically still the same, except everyone wore more clothes and was grumpier. Sound about right?

I was always in the dam late in October because it was during vacations, and the weather is very unpredictable, though generally cold and windy during day. Nightshift can be very cold too.

November is slow in term of business, grey sky, lots of clouds, but sometimes, when you don't expect that, a little shiny moment pops out between two clouds, and that's is very enjoyable. Nights are still cold but for me there's nothing to do with January or February, with temperatures below zero in a twist.

December is not less crowded, especially during christmas time. A bunch of girls are already out of town with their families and they taking a good week or two of days off, they spend some time with their families and relatives. December is cold, night can be very tough in that department, but if you enjoy or are used to (which is something you seem to be as a canadian) snow, fresh breeze, cold weather it's an ok period, just think about booking soon enough as it's usually taken very fast. I had a few ones of my best night adventures in the RLD during that time and I still enjoy thinking about those long nightwalks with a hot parka and gloves.

Quote:
Are there any events or holidays or anything I should be aware of?

December 6th. Saint Nicholas or Sint Niklaas. Big party, very popular.
Posted: 2014-05-08, 10:52 pm

kingconan
I personally prefer Amsterdam in the winter...
Less crowds/cheaper hotels/usual rld girls.
Posted: 2014-05-08, 11:40 pm

grimnul Power Kat
Alright, sounds good then. I just wanted to make sure that the RLD didn't shut down in winter or anything.

I should probably email Dita and find out if she's going to be going out of town at any point, because she is an absolute fixture in my Amsterdam visits from now on, but outside of that, I guess I'll just keep my eyes open and see when I can get a good price to go.
Posted: 2014-05-08, 11:44 pm

skipexcaliburSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Hi, Eh...

Sorry, I couldn't resist speaking the language of the Great White North.

I have been seven times in the "real" (if you can call it that) winter meaning January and February. You won't miss a step. The temperature is very similar to New York City for your reference. (Sort of like late spring in TO.)

I have seen one snow that almost came up to the tops of the grass blades and that had disappeared by the afternoon. I don't even take a heavy winter coat. Their "0" temp is in celsius, btw.

There are very few tourists there that time of year and the plane flights and rooms are generally much cheaper, especially after January 15 and before March 15. The young ladies are back from holiday and in need of cash. Everything is more relaxed and the only noise comes from the drunk Brit's in the bars who came over for the weekend for bachelor parties.

The only thing that you really need is a rain coat and a small umbrella because it does rain often and is pretty windy.

It is grey a lot and the sun rises late and sets early but I would imagine that is something you are used to in the Great White North. They do, however, have excellent lighting in de Wallen, Singel and de Pijp...

Hope this helps and good luck. If you need more information let me know, eh...

Best,
Skip
Posted: 2014-05-09, 12:53 am

greenhoffSupporting Member
Supporting Member
When it snows and there is ice in the RLD !! BEWARE
Amsterdam street cleaners seem to " miss out " this area, and it can be quite lethal

Ive had many a slip, and those cobbles are bloody painful. but as stated, rooms are cheaper, not so many tourists especially the Japs,all in all, a good time to go

regards

Posted: 2014-05-11, 3:44 pm

grimnul Power Kat
Well, I managed to find a pretty good price on a twelve night package (it's a 7 or 8 hour flight from Canada, and the flight alone runs me probably more than most of you guys spend on an entire trip, so it's not worth it to me to only go for a few days) in November, so I jumped on that. Already got a session with Dita booked, so it's pretty well guaranteed that this trip will not suck.

Thanks again for the tips, everyone.
Posted: 2014-05-11, 5:27 pm

BlutoBlutarsky Admin
greenhoff wrote:
When it snows and there is ice in the RLD !! BEWARE
Amsterdam street cleaners seem to " miss out " this area, and it can be quite lethal

Yup, can confirm. I remember winter 2012/2013 (we actually had no snow this past winter in Amsterdam... mildest winter in 100 years I read) cycling up Oudezijds Voorburgwal, turning a bit suddenly to avoid a pedi-cab (bastard!) and going down right outside the Oude Kerk, the bike just sliding out from under me. I quickly picked myself up and was cheered by a crowd of tourists who witnessed it. I acknowledged them and went on my way. :-) On foot, the iced up bridges are particularly treacherous. Be careful and bring suitable footwear.

Posted: 2014-05-11, 6:53 pm

grimnul Power Kat
Thanks for the warning.

No need to worry about me. We Canadians are as sure-footed as mountain goats.
Posted: 2014-05-11, 7:40 pm

greenhoffSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Quote:
Yup, can confirm. I remember winter 2012/2013 (we actually had no snow this past winter in Amsterdam... mildest winter in 100 years I read) cycling up Oudezijds Voorburgwal, turning a bit suddenly to avoid a pedi-cab (bastard!) and going down right outside the Oude Kerk, the bike just sliding out from under me. I quickly picked myself up and was cheered by a crowd of tourists who witnessed it. I acknowledged them and went on my way. :-) On foot, the iced up bridges are particularly treacherous. Be careful and bring suitable footwear.

Yes, i know, i shouldnt laugh, i tried my dam hardest not to, honestly, but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

picturing my friend Bluto falling off his bike on the ice had me in stitches.... sorry bluto

and those fcuking pedi-cabs do my fcuking head in, ringing their poxy bell, taking up almost the whole street.

grimnul, you may be used to snow & ice, but to try and walk on packed snow after 1,000"s have trod before you, well all i can say is.......................................... nah, you will find out !!!! enjoy your trip anyway

regards

[ 10 posts ] 

Jump to: