Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 12 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Time of year to visit Amsterdam Micerz? and Attractions?
Posted: 2014-06-03, 1:04 am

Amsterdamaged1
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
What do you think?

Personally I like Amsterdam of a more Autumn/Winter season. dark nights, gets dark earlier, bit chilly. I like to coffeeshop crawl when Amsterdam is like that, when does Amsterdam start to get in that kind of season? I was booked to go summer, but backed out as I just don't really want to visit Amsterdam when it's really hot! especially if I want to session a lot with different girls in different kamers. I remember how hot it got last time lol. I really need to go back Amsterdam!! I've only been once and want to visit a lot of coffeeshops etc. all a side the most obvious things to do in Amsterdam, I would like to know of more attractions? the city for itself?

Kind Regards.
Re: Time of year to visit Amsterdam Micerz? and Attractions?
Posted: 2014-06-07, 12:07 am

Guilders
I've done the summer a couple of times when World Cups were taking place, but always preferred autumn or winter time. There's a lot to be said for walking around those canals in the dark with hat, scarves and gloves then dipping in and out of coffee shops or kamers for a hot chocolate or to warm your bones.
Posted: 2014-06-07, 10:12 am

Carice Liefde Power Kat
It depends. During summer, especially in the first two weeks, there are lots of tourists (I'm including myself in as it's like that I visited the city last year), and the nights are crazy in term of crowd in the RLD, especially during week-end nights (ie Friday & above all Saturday, strangely or not I found Sunday was a little quiet in comparison around 1 and 2 am).

Prices are lower in Fall, and even before that, during the last days of summer, early in September you can find hostels with lower rates and so you'll be able to stay longer if you wish. That's what I noticed. In October, mostly during the last two weeks was my favourite period those recent years, because it's not too cold (but having a scarf, a parka and gloves is not silly), and not too hot either (well Amsterdam isn't known for that anyway, but if there's a wave of high temperatures in Europe, for one or two weeks, you can be sure that you won't freeze).

Winter is often very cold, windy, rainy, and it's not only rain but also snow rain, which can be very special if you like to walk under the snow by day or night. You have to stay on alert every step you make.

Spring is wonderful. You can visit the flower market on the canal, move around all the city by walk, the girls are wearing the first skirts, sometimes you can be lucky enough to see some nipples popping out and seeing riding their bikes with hot panties is definitely sexy.
Posted: 2014-06-08, 3:30 am

Amsterdamaged1
Carice Liefde wrote:
It depends. During summer, especially in the first two weeks, there are lots of tourists (I'm including myself in as it's like that I visited the city last year), and the nights are crazy in term of crowd in the RLD, especially during week-end nights (ie Friday & above all Saturday, strangely or not I found Sunday was a little quiet in comparison around 1 and 2 am).

Prices are lower in Fall, and even before that, during the last days of summer, early in September you can find hostels with lower rates and so you'll be able to stay longer if you wish. That's what I noticed. In October, mostly during the last two weeks was my favourite period those recent years, because it's not too cold (but having a scarf, a parka and gloves is not silly), and not too hot either (well Amsterdam isn't known for that anyway, but if there's a wave of high temperatures in Europe, for one or two weeks, you can be sure that you won't freeze).

Winter is often very cold, windy, rainy, and it's not only rain but also snow rain, which can be very special if you like to walk under the snow by day or night. You have to stay on alert every step you make.

Spring is wonderful. You can visit the flower market on the canal, move around all the city by walk, the girls are wearing the first skirts, sometimes you can be lucky enough to see some nipples popping out and seeing riding their bikes with hot panties is definitely sexy.

I see Carice, as for Hostels? how cheap are you talking for 5 - 7 days? do you have to share with people? I don't get how they work, what's the difference in staying in 1 of them and a hotel? I am thinking to go around November now. This will be the 3rd time I will book Amsterdam and hopefully visit this year (Third time lucky, eh?)

I did visit Amsterdam in Spring and found the weather great in fact. cheers for the heads up. :)
Posted: 2014-06-09, 10:39 am

Carice Liefde Power Kat
Hi,

Youngstarz wrote:
I see Carice, as for Hostels? how cheap are you talking for 5 - 7 days? do you have to share with people? I don't get how they work, what's the difference in staying in 1 of them and a hotel? I am thinking to go around November now. This will be the 3rd time I will book Amsterdam and hopefully visit this year (Third time lucky, eh?)

Hostels do offer minimal comfort, but if you're looking for a certain ambiance with young guys and girls, it can be fun. This is where students like to have some time in the Dam for their vacations, one or two days off before the exams, etc. Shared toilets and bathroom are generally on the menu. The price is also lower than other places around, it can starts from 9€ to 25-30 €. In a Hotel, you have different accomodations, king size bed, breakfast included (but not in every hotels neither). And you can even find funny shower gel bottles like the ones loolz had during his very recent trip).

Quote:
I did visit Amsterdam in Spring and found the weather great in fact. cheers for the heads up. :)

In April, the weather can be very mild. Nights are fresh but days are cool.
Posted: 2014-06-09, 11:56 pm

george47 Power Kat
The only rules about Dutch weather is that it's unlikely to snow between May and September and it probably won't be warm enough to sunbathe between November and March. Other than that anything can happen. I remember a few years ago people were sunbathing on the artificial beach at Blijburg in mid October. In other years it's been chilly and wet most of August.
I do hate hot kamers and feel embarrassed when I'm sweating over a sweety. Luckily several have decent air con but it's by no means guaranteed.
Posted: 2014-06-10, 6:42 pm

Mister Mingeater
My favourite time is during early October, over the years mostly the weather has been aired and sunny, daytimes often out in a shirt or lightweight jacket.
The odd drop of rain some years but mainly good, often possible to sit outside for a drink and watch.
Gets dark early so the bright lights turn on and the atmosphere changes, leading towards mongering time.
Traditionally prices for hotels and travel drop at this time too which is worth considering.
The girls have the heat turned up to 11 though so you are still likely to be hit with a blast from a flame thrower when the door opens !
Less knob head behaviour on the streets in Autumn too.
Whenever you go you will work it out and have a good time.
All the best,
Mr M

Posted: 2014-07-03, 8:47 pm

kingconan
I've said the same in a couple of threads before but for me the best time to visit Amsterdam/RLD is in Winter.
Less crowds, cooler temperatures and dark nights.
Posted: 2014-07-04, 3:13 pm

uncletedSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Hello Folks
For years I would visit Amsterdam in the middle of November. It was a little cheaper and less crowded.
The manager of Amsterdam Choice apts would bring me an extra heater since he woudn't turn the main heat on until 5PM
I am from Florida where we don't have a winter and the only time that I wear a coat is in Europe.
Nowadays I go in the summer. I especially like the outdoor restaurants when it is warm. In Florida we say that if the temperature in Farenheit is lower than your age it is too cold and I am getting older.
The girls are great summer or winter!
Ted
Posted: 2014-07-16, 5:28 pm

TheEjaculator
Must admit I'm a winter man, you'll always get bellends in Amsterdam but they seem to thin out a bit when it gets cold. It's hardly the Costa del Sol in the summer but it can get pretty hot at times, especially if you haven't put a plan in place and are walking around hoping for the best. As someone said I'm not keen on being hot and sweaty even before I get in a kamer.

Winter on the other hand is great, I can't think of a better way to warm up. I've been over a couple of times for New Year, I would certainly recommend this as the whole place goes crazy, just make sure you book early as the prices rocket closer to the time. Also love walking around the canals when it's snowing, I just don't get scenery like that at home.
Posted: 2014-07-16, 9:37 pm

Roland Power Kat
When to go depends on what you want to do.

If it is the RLD then anytime is okay though it is really busy in summer. The C Cup is in November.

Summertime is cafes, outdoors, festivals, the beach and boats in the canals.

If you are looking for a more Dutch experience (bit quieter, more cultural, less touristy) then late September to mid December and mid April to mid June is your best time.

Mid December to mid April is quiet except for weekends and New Years IMO.

Regards, Roland

Posted: 2014-07-16, 10:41 pm

Carice Liefde Power Kat
Roland wrote:
When to go depends on what you want to do.

If it is the RLD then anytime is okay though it is really busy in summer. The C Cup is in November.

Summertime is cafes, outdoors, festivals, the beach and boats in the canals.

If you are looking for a more Dutch experience (bit quieter, more cultural, less touristy) then late September to mid December and mid April to mid June is your best time.

Nice sum up Roland

Quote:
Mid December to mid April is quiet except for weekends and New Years IMO.

Regards, Roland

If Christmas is on a Friday/Saturday it can be frenzy, especially during night.

I would add that generally in April is not too busy, except for one day, the Kingsday. VERY busy during that day, even if it's April, but in that particular case, can be more spectacular than in July/August.
 [ 12 posts ] 

Jump to: