Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 14 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
hotels...
Posted: 2014-07-07, 5:01 pm

somelanger
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
hi all.havent been on here for a few months as we were supposed to have gone in march but work committments put paid to that.we are now planning to go late sept/early oct but we are finding it hard to get a hotel that allows smoking.anyone any ideas,i already asked this a while back and appreciate the feedback but we are still no wiser.is there a particular hotel website thats useful other than the usual expedia/bookings etc etc.
Re: hotels...
Posted: 2014-07-07, 5:35 pm

liam
Old Quarter allows smoking in rooms.
Posted: 2014-07-07, 5:37 pm

somelanger
cheers,have you stayed there?
Posted: 2014-07-07, 6:38 pm

liam
Stayed in it once in 2011. Rooms were basic, quite a smell of smoke but we didn't mind. Great bar and nice food served. Discount on the food when staying in the hotel also.
Posted: 2014-07-08, 9:56 pm

TurricaN
I've booked a night at the Greenhouse Effect in November, which allows smoking if the TripAdvisor reviews are to be believed. It kind of makes sense anyway since the hotel also operates a coffeeshop next door. It's pretty cheap, has decent ratings for the price, includes breakfast and is very close to the RLD. It can get pretty noisy apparently though according to reviews since it's in a busy area, has no lifts and the typical Dutch steep stairs. It certainly doesn't appear to be luxury accommodation.

I'm looking forward to seeing it anyway. :)
Posted: 2014-07-08, 11:51 pm

stix
Bren_McGuire wrote:
I've booked a night at the Greenhouse Effect in November, which allows smoking if the TripAdvisor reviews are to be believed. It kind of makes sense anyway since the hotel also operates a coffeeshop next door. It's pretty cheap, has decent ratings for the price, includes breakfast and is very close to the RLD. It can get pretty noisy apparently though according to reviews since it's in a busy area, has no lifts and the typical Dutch steep stairs. It certainly doesn't appear to be luxury accommodation.

Good location and bar, smoking is ok in the rooms, just forget air conditioning! Some of the rooms get stupidly hot!
Posted: 2014-07-09, 8:38 pm

LifeOfBrian
Voyagers hotel above Voyagers coffeeshop.

Just over the road from the station.
Posted: 2014-07-09, 9:00 pm

Amsterdamaged1
liam wrote:

I can vouch for this, as when I visted Amsterdam, that is where I stayed during the period of time. very welcoming staff, fantastic food I must say and overall a very nice stay. I asked when I arrived if it was ok, to smoke cannabis in the rooms and the staff said ''Yes'' but not too heavy and to cover the smoke alarm. fantastic hotel, I rate it 4 outta 5 stars. perfect location, Hunters next door and is located amongst everywhere.
Posted: 2014-07-09, 9:03 pm

Amsterdamaged1
Bren_McGuire wrote:

How do you mean by this, might I ask?

I have reserved a stay there and previously I know of friends who have stayed and they all smoked in there and was very much allowed, but it states on likes of booking a room that they are no smoking? but you can actually smoke in them.
Posted: 2014-07-09, 9:09 pm

Carice Liefde Power Kat
Youngstarz wrote:
liam wrote:

I can vouch for this, as when I visted Amsterdam, that is where I stayed during the period of time. very welcoming staff, fantastic food I must say and overall a very nice stay. I asked when I arrived if it was ok, to smoke cannabis in the rooms and the staff said ''Yes'' but not too heavy and to cover the smoke alarm. fantastic hotel, I rate it 4 outta 5 stars. perfect location, Hunters next door and is located amongst everywhere.

Hi,

I'll second this on every points.

The most funny thing I've seen in a hotel was on second floor (or third, I'm not sure) to have the bathroom actually into the bedroom itself, and not in a dedicated room (bathroom+shower and toilet in the same place which is pretty common everywhere else). The shower is also right in front of toilet, so just think about doing your "stuff" when needed before taking a shower. When you arrive, if you feel that the room is too small you can ask to change for the same price for a bigger one if available.

Very friendly, laidback staff, you can talk between dishes, no problem, and they won't urge you to leave the place for someone else to eat. The only downside is probably for greenhoff, as they have one cat perching up and looking on a suitcase with his malicious eyes around the place. And sometimes he just say hello and slides himself right next to your leg.
They are cool about smoking too, even if I'm not a smoker myself
Posted: 2014-07-09, 9:24 pm

Amsterdamaged1
Carice Liefde wrote:
Youngstarz wrote:
liam wrote:

Hi,

I'll second this on every points.

The most funny thing I've seen in a hotel was on second floor (or third, I'm not sure) to have the bathroom actually into the bedroom itself, and not in a dedicated room (bathroom+shower and toilet in the same place which is pretty common everywhere else). The shower is also right in front of toilet, so just think about doing your "stuff" when needed before taking a shower. When you arrive, if you feel that the room is too small you can ask to change for the same price for a bigger one if available.

Very friendly, laidback staff, you can talk between dishes, no problem, and they won't urge you to leave the place for someone else to eat. The only downside is probably for greenhoff, as they have one cat perching up and looking on a suitcase with his malicious eyes around the place. And sometimes he just say hello and slides himself right next to your leg.
They are cool about smoking too, even if I'm not a smoker myself

I would say the only slight downside really is the rooms tbh. welllllll, the twin rooms for 2 is a bit cramped if I must say, it is reasonable, but am a fairly large guy and so is my friend and if we wasn't out and spent a lot of time in the hotel? it would not of been comfortable at all if I must admit. however, there is other rooms and the Quadruple room looks fantastic and the double room with canal view, would be my opted choice if I stay there again. The twin room I stayed in was with a shared toilet, yet there was a sink in my room lol. but the toilet/bathroom was next door literally, which I found convenient if I must say.

Hahaha!! you brought me back there Carice :D indeeeed there is a pet cat that sleeps in a basket. it's very friendly and I am not sure if it is still there though? as, the old quarter got took over by new staff etc. a Romanian waitress informed me, she lost her job because the new staff never kept her on. but, yes a very great stay and I would recommend entirely.
Posted: 2014-07-09, 9:29 pm

TurricaN
Youngstarz wrote:
How do you mean by this, might I ask?

I have reserved a stay there and previously I know of friends who have stayed and they all smoked in there and was very much allowed, but it states on likes of booking a room that they are no smoking? but you can actually smoke in them.

I've never stayed there myself, so I can only rely on the information I have available to me via the web.

It was some months ago that I read the reviews on TripAdvisor, but I seem to remember seeing some people complaining about the rooms smelling of smoke and saying that it's because the hotel allows smoking. Still some other reviews recommended the hotel because they were allowed to smoke weed in the rooms, which is apparently because they have a coffeeshop next door.

Finally - and I might well be wrong about this - I seem to remember at least one review complaining that ONLY weed smoking was allowed in the rooms, and NOT tobacco, although I can hardly imagine them checking up on exactly what customers are smoking.

It might be worth checking out the reviews on TripAdvisor rather than relying on my vague memories of them. :)

P.S. VERY IMPORTANT: The Greenhouse Effect online booking in NOT SECURE. You're risking exposure of your credit card information if you book through the website. They also sent me all my credit card details UNSECURED by e-mail to confirm my booking. Very shoddy, but I didn't realise at the time that I made my booking. Be very careful with this hotel.
Posted: 2014-07-09, 11:24 pm

george47 Power Kat
somelanger wrote:
is there a particular hotel website thats useful other than the usual expedia/bookings etc etc.

http://www.amsterdam-red-light-district ... oking.html
Posted: 2014-07-11, 5:56 pm

Carice Liefde Power Kat
Youngstarz wrote:
I would say the only slight downside really is the rooms tbh. welllllll, the twin rooms for 2 is a bit cramped if I must say, it is reasonable [...] if we wasn't out and spent a lot of time in the hotel?

I agree about some rooms, but the tiniest ones I've seen were at Y Boulevard close to Prins Hendrikkade. Not friendly staff at the reception desk. Very average breakfast, well been there only once during Christmas in 2009. Never went back in, but it still a place I link a lot of souvenirs to (mainly for the RLD just behind).

Rooms at Old Quarter can be indeed small, but I was really surprised to see that two steps from the entrance door of the main building on the other side, there is a steep stair to take, and then is leading to a bigger room for the price of a double room. Of course you'll have the noise of the street and it's very animated on Warmoesstraat during nights, but if you're a guy who likes to spend a lot of time out (which is basically what I think you should looking for by coming in Amsterdam and see its nightlife), it's ok, even if it's not very quiet.

Quote:
it would not of been comfortable at all if I must admit. however, there is other rooms and the Quadruple room looks fantastic and the double room with canal view

There are nicer.

Quote:
Hahaha!! you brought me back there Carice :D indeeeed there is a pet cat that sleeps in a basket. it's very friendly and I am not sure if it is still there though?

He is.

Cat.jpg
Cat.jpg [ 810.12 KiB ]
 [ 14 posts ] 

Jump to: