Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 11 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Train Tickets
Posted: 2014-07-08, 6:59 pm

liam
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Has anyone ever been asked to show train ticket? In every time I've took the train I've never been asked once.
Re: Train Tickets
Posted: 2014-07-08, 7:04 pm

DogsAfirePower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
Yes, I have been asked for my ticket probably about half of the time that I take the train. In particular, morning runs to Schiphol seem to be popular with the conductors
Posted: 2014-07-08, 7:46 pm

george47 Power Kat
liam wrote:
Has anyone ever been asked to show train ticket? In every time I've took the train I've never been asked once.

Yes, loads of times but it will never happen again because there aren't tickets any more!
Posted: 2014-07-08, 8:01 pm

BlutoBlutarsky Admin
george47 wrote:
liam wrote:

Yes, loads of times but it will never happen again because there aren't tickets any more!

Well, starting tomorrow they'll just check your OV chipkaart (or the single use chipkaart you can buy in lieu of a paper ticket... I haven't actually seen what it looks like yet) with the handheld card readers they carry and then fine fare evaders just like they always have.

http://www.nltimes.nl/2014/07/01/end-pa ... erns-many/
Quote:
From next week Wednesday (i.e. tomorrow --Bluto), the ticket machines on stations will no longer give out paper tickets, but only plastic OV cards fitted with a chip.

After my first few trips to Amsterdam, I also started to get the impression that they don't often check. But, in the end, it feels like they do check at least 1/3 of the time if not a little more. If I go to Alkmaar, for example, I'll expect to either get checked on the way there or on the way back. I've almost never been checked both ways, but it's unusual that I'm not checked at least on one leg of the trip. Like Dogs, I've also been checked going to/from Schiphol on occasion. So, I don't recommend trying to avoid the fare. You will get caught out sooner or later and the fine is something like €40 (edit: or possibly more now.)

Posted: 2014-07-08, 9:27 pm

greenhoffSupporting Member
Supporting Member
any train between 05.00 - 08.00 from CS to SCH, its 99.9% certain, you will asked for your ticket, normally before boarding !!!
Coming the other way, very seldom, but I never take a chance, and always get a ticket !!

e40 fine, could be having a fcuk + e10 !!

regards

Posted: 2014-07-09, 12:54 am

walle
I get asked at least once every trip and I travel mainly to Central Station, Schippol, Zandvoort aan zee and Alkmaar.
Posted: 2014-07-09, 12:05 pm

kingconan
I've been asked twice out of 14 or so journeys.
That being said, the service is an incredibly cheap way to get around so hope people are paying up...
Posted: 2014-07-09, 7:25 pm

BlutoBlutarsky Admin
kingconan wrote:
I've been asked twice out of 14 or so journeys.
That being said, the service is an incredibly cheap way to get around so hope people are paying up...

Hmmm... I actually don't consider it cheap at all, but I guess it's a question of what you're used to. Round trip Den Haag <-> Amsterdam costs €20. It's about 45 minutes each way. To me, that's not cheap. Compared to the UK, I guess it might be though (don't really know to be honest, but I certainly consider that "Gatwick Express" thing to Victoria an utter rip-off and found myself missing the prices NS charge the last time I was there.)

Posted: 2014-07-09, 7:37 pm

TurricaN
The trains are cheaper if you can get the 40% discount. That would make Amsterdam to Den Haag €13.20 return.

You don't even need to pay for your own discount subscription if you happen to be travelling with someone who can get it (up to four people can get the discount on one card). I always take advantage of it when I have friends and family visiting, so we all can travel for cheap.

The discount subscription is only €60 a year; which isn't even that expensive if you're doing a decent amount of travelling by train in a small group. I actually saved money in 2005 by getting it, even though I was only in the Netherlands for a week with three friends (although we did do a fair amount of travelling outside Amsterdam).
Posted: 2014-08-10, 11:28 am

cmanc
I've travelled a lot on the trains in Holland, only a few times I've been asked for my ticket.
But if your caught without one it's hefty fine.
And really, the trains are very good, bang on time, not expensive really.
So I'd say get a ticket.
Posted: 2014-08-10, 1:10 pm

lilji
greenhoff wrote:
any train between 05.00 - 08.00 from CS to SCH, its 99.9% certain, you will asked for your ticket, normally before boarding !!!
Coming the other way, very seldom, but I never take a chance, and always get a ticket !!

e40 fine, could be having a fcuk + e10 !!

regards

Or a fuck - e10 in Molensteeg :p

Amstell station (eurolines base for pick up and drop off) to Centraal I've never been checked but tthat's only 5 mins journey or so.
 [ 11 posts ] 

Jump to: