Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 27 posts ]  1, 2  Next
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Favourite Places to Eat
Posted: 2014-07-11, 2:24 pm

kingconan
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Hey all,

Interested to hear where currently is everyones favourite places to eat whilst in Amsterdam.

Be it breakfast/lunch/dinner/take away/restaurant/FEBO, I'd be interested to hear your opinions!

For me - when drunk/stoned and needing some food I usually go for FEBO, 0 nutritional value but tastes so good! Greenwoods is a good choice for breakfast and burger bar was good when I stayed at the Inntel hotel.

Conan
Re: Favourite Places to Eat
Posted: 2014-07-12, 3:22 pm

Carice Liefde Power Kat
kingconan wrote:
Hey all,

Interested to hear where currently is everyones favourite places to eat whilst in Amsterdam.

Be it breakfast/lunch/dinner/take away/restaurant/FEBO, I'd be interested to hear your opinions!

For me - when drunk/stoned and needing some food I usually go for FEBO, 0 nutritional value but tastes so good! Greenwoods is a good choice for breakfast and burger bar was good when I stayed at the Inntel hotel.

Conan

Hi,

I never took any FEBO whilst there was one that was facing Burger King (and still is) located in Reguliersbreestraat where I used to love taking a box of fresh fruits and lemonades at Hema.
There are other all around Amsterdam. You can't miss them

I have to say that when I used to walk back to the hotel, and lately, at Old Quarter, I used to enjoy taking an hamburger at the place right next to Chicas Sex Shop on Warmoesstraat, on the left

And I have to admit that a good cheeseburger at 2.00 am on Damrak at McDonald's is enjoyable as well. Did it twice.

Wok to Walk provides ok chinese food. But the best restaurants are probably in the chinese district which is not hard to find.

Right next to Baba Coffeeshop on Warmoesstraat, there is a nice restaurant. There's a big black screen at the back and long tables, it's the point you cannot miss from the outside. Quite long to serve but nice, rich food.

Old Quarter was my favorite spot, including the time I was sleeping at the hotel. Best apple pie I ate in town with creme chantilly (the one at Latei, close to Molensteeg & OZA, is also very tasty).
Posted: 2014-07-12, 11:00 pm

redstar75
Hi there. I love FEBO too but there is a place outside central station. its the same set up as febo but their burgers are definitely better. I wish I could remember their name and I am sure they are all over the Netherlands.
When I go in September I will get the name and let you know. also a lot of train stations have a chain that do good wraps!!! however, I have personally had good and bad from them. again, I don't remember the name but will do soon.
I cant wait to do a trip report.
I was thinking just for fun in the interest of ignatzmice I may take lots of photos that would take some guessing as to their location. for fun!! I thought maybe everyone on here would enjoy guessing where the pics were?? I would like to know if that's a good or shit idea??
Cheers,
Posted: 2014-07-13, 2:00 am

molby
redstar75 wrote:
Hi there. I love FEBO too but there is a place outside central station. its the same set up as febo but their burgers are definitely better. I wish I could remember their name and I am sure they are all over the Netherlands.
When I go in September I will get the name and let you know. also a lot of train stations have a chain that do good wraps!!! however, I have personally had good and bad from them. again, I don't remember the name but will do soon.
I cant wait to do a trip report.
I was thinking just for fun in the interest of ignatzmice I may take lots of photos that would take some guessing as to their location. for fun!! I thought maybe everyone on here would enjoy guessing where the pics were?? I would like to know if that's a good or shit idea??
Cheers,

Smuler perhaps? There's loads of them about
Posted: 2014-07-13, 10:16 am

redstar75
That rings a bell mate. I think you are right.
Posted: 2014-07-13, 3:16 pm

tonymunch Power Kat
De Bekeerde Suster on Nieuwmarkt. Best burgers, great beer. For pub grub you can't go wrong.

Posted: 2014-07-13, 5:15 pm

greenhoffSupporting Member
Supporting Member
tonymunch wrote:
De Bekeerde Suster on Nieuwmarkt. Best burgers, great beer. For pub grub you can't go wrong.

totally agree with this !!
huge portions, pretty quick service, even when busy [ and it does get busy ] and some very tasty waitresses.

Steenbruggel Dupel is a very strong ale [7.5%] but is gorgeous !!

regards

Posted: 2014-07-13, 6:54 pm

TurricaN
One of my favourite places is The Bazar on the street where the Albert Cuyp market is (i.e. quite far out from the center). Both food and drink is pretty cheap for Amsterdam, the portions are large and the type of food is quite unusual and interesting compared to the kind of thing I normally go for. The place is also really big (two floors) and nicely decorated with tons of coloured lights.

An old favourite of mine is the Koh-I-Noor Indian restaurant on the main road that runs south from Dam Square, though I should admit that I may be biased due to my love of Indian food. I used to go to Koh-I-Noor almost every time I went to Amsterdam at some years ago (I only stopped going because an Indian restaurant has opened locally to me since then).

Durty Nellie's seems like a good place for pub food, which is north from the northeast corner of Dam Square (heading toward the RLD). Although I've only been once, the chilli con carne was pretty decent and good value, and the rest of the menu looked decently priced compared to most other Irish pubs I've tried. They have pie, chips and a pint on the menu for €10, although I've yet to try it. For Irish pubs, I used to go to St. James Gate on Rembrandt Plein, but I think it's a bit on the pricey side for what it is.
Posted: 2014-07-13, 8:23 pm

ThirstyTraveller
Dine at the Y is a very nice place to eat!.........You guys are sooo slow :P

Cheers!

Posted: 2014-07-14, 1:14 pm

Carice Liefde Power Kat
ThirstyTraveller wrote:

Nice one ;-)
Posted: 2014-07-14, 9:41 pm

retro Power Kat
Quote:

Cheers!

Lol :)
Posted: 2014-07-14, 10:05 pm

BlutoBlutarsky Admin
Café 't Gasthuys (link) is nice. Decent food and reasonable prices for the area. Just outside the RLD... walk down Oudezijds Voorburgwal (passing Dolleb/Tromp/etc on your right) until you reach the end (it's maybe a 10 minute walk), then take a right at the bridge and it's down on your right. If I'm hungry I'll get a plate of bitterballen as an appetizer (better to share these as it's a large portion, 10 or 12 ballen, for about €4,50 or so) and then maybe the cheeseburger with pancetta... good stuff. Haven't seen this place mentioned recently but I've paid the occasional visit over the years and always enjoyed it.

Molly Malone's next to Hotel France (on Oudezijds Kolk, off the Zeedijk) also does nice food but can get pretty crowded. I've had a few good meals in there washed down with a few pints.

Café de Klos (near Leidseplein somewhere, google it) was good the one time I went. They're known for their ribs, but it's the only barbecue/rib place I've been to that doesn't have barbecue sauce! Just this pink crap... something like thousand island dressing, I don't know. But if you can get over this sacrilege, the ribs are still pretty good. Come hungry.

Posted: 2014-07-15, 12:09 am

poodooms123Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Hi Bluto, thanks for that, I had a 'google' search,
I am sure it's the place that Mr.(sir) Greenhoff said about the burgers a while ago.
tried, but gout said no.
Definitely try to have a go in December. ( God willing lol)
Posted: 2014-07-15, 12:19 am

poodooms123Supporting Member
Supporting Member
just done a google 'walk'

same place!

roll on December.
Posted: 2014-07-15, 8:59 am

ams2008damPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
Not sure if said already burger bar on kolksteg 2 is very good.You can also see all the cooking in front of you which is nice also.

Have a read on trip advisor and view pictures of there food.
Posted: 2014-07-16, 12:22 am

glasgowguy_69
Absolutely love Burger Bar.

Actually, when thinking about it, i probably spend most of my eating time in Amsterdam in kolksteeg between burger bar and walk to wok.

Posted: 2014-07-16, 7:54 am

ams2008damPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
I used to also like the Chinese food place nam kee but not visit there in a few years I normally go for quick easy junk food when in Amsterdam.Damrax has plenty of food places to sort you out.
Posted: 2014-07-18, 6:41 pm

DogsAfirePower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
No one has mentioned Wok to Walk yet?

I'll throw in Tempo Doeloe because the rijsttafel there has become a must-do for me these days. Probaably not everyone's cup of tea. Indonesian food. It's pricier than FEBO for sure, it's tiny, crowded and you need reservations at least a day ahead, but it's worth it.

the dogs
Posted: 2014-07-18, 8:15 pm

Carice Liefde Power Kat
Hi,
DogsAfire wrote:
No one has mentioned Wok to Walk yet?

I did .-)
Posted: 2014-07-18, 10:10 pm

neurosynthPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
I like Wok to Walk, but I wish they hadn't dropped duck from the menu.

[ 27 posts ]  1, 2  Next

Jump to: