Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 17 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
when are you in Amsterdam?
Posted: 2014-09-04, 8:34 pm

peter craig
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Once you leave the train station, what do you look for that says YES I'M HERE.
If at night it's the blue neon "Jesus loves you" to the left of the station..if a day arrival the reclining woman outside Chickitas sex shop mixed with my first whiff of cannabis.
Maybe yours is the clack clack on a window but an oversized right and the call of 'can I ask you a question? ' beside the old church!
Re: when are you in Amsterdam?
Posted: 2014-09-04, 8:38 pm

TurricaN
Just stepping out of the doors of the station is enough for me. Seeing the Amsterdam buildings, hearing the bells from the trams, the snack place over the street, the canal boat cruises and the crowds of tourists walking to and from the station. I've never really thought about it much, but now that I do, it's always a very satisfying experience. :)
Posted: 2014-09-04, 9:40 pm

Carice Liefde Power Kat
As soon as you leaving CS you feel indeed the special atmosphere and the city's vibe in the air. There is something different (and it's not only the weed & the laidback attitude of people walking in the streets :-). Basically I love to watch people walking around and their reactions, the attitude, the smiles, especially in Damrak and/or from Zeedijk just a few steps from CS, I can feel that something can happen/come from anywhere near. I love to be surprised about something I don't expect and that I judge positive.
Posted: 2014-09-05, 3:00 am

dustybottoms
The narrow pedestrian streets/alleys, the lovely smell of good herb when you walk by a coffeeshop, beautiful women (both in the RLD and the locals), architecture and culture, bikes everywhere. Any of these are good indicators that I HAVE ARRIVED, but like TurricaN said, just walking out of the train station is usually enough to provide me with this sensation. God damn I can't wait to get back there in Nov!!!
Posted: 2014-09-05, 3:09 am

BadonkadonkSupporting Member
Supporting Member
I feel that I am in Amsterdam after I have checked in to my hotel and walked over to the RLD. And when I have made a round in the whole RLD and seen all the girls then I really feel that I am there! :)
Posted: 2014-09-05, 5:10 am

grimnul Power Kat
I usually take a taxi to my hotel from Schipol, because it's a pretty long flight for me, plus with the time zone difference, I don't usually get in to the next morning and just want to get to my hotel and sleep. Also, I'm lazy, so there's that.

Anyway, for me, it's that moment the taxi's getting close to the hotel, and as we drive by, I catch just the slightest glimpse of De Wallen from between buildings across the canal. Always puts that "it's gonna be a good couple weeks" smile on my face.
Posted: 2014-09-06, 9:03 pm

eddie69
This post really hit a sensitive spot with me. I would normally be in Amsterdam this week, but a daughter getting married has kept me broke and stateside.
When arriving at Schipol my childlike excitement starts when I see the crazy painted cow in arrivals terminal .
As I head to the train terminal I almost run leaving my wife behind each time. Once on the train to Centraal I get even more stoked as we pass Sloterdijk as I know my stop is coming.
I agree with all of you as to the unbelievable feeling as you emerge from Centraal and breathe in the city we all love so much. Such a wonderful feeling that has brought me back over 30 times.
Cheers
Ed
Posted: 2014-09-07, 10:26 am

berkshiretyman
for me the feeling starts to build as soon as the wife drops me off at Gatwick.........!!!!!!!!!
Posted: 2014-09-07, 6:41 pm

greenhoffSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Starts really on my walk at 6am to catch my train to LGW
Then what runway i land on, the Polderman always pissis me off, you know the one, but been lucky my last 2 trips mind !!
Leaving CS, i look to Dam Sq to see if the fair is there, [ love that fair, big kid i know] lol
Look for my 1st fem politie lol

but i guess its the 1st tram bell, or the 1st cyclist to nearly crash into me, to see the canal boats, to hear Dutch voices, the clock chimes, politie sirens etc etc etc

regards

Posted: 2014-09-07, 10:24 pm

hedgehog
I get a buzz a soon as I see the coastline from the plane, particularly if we fly over IJmuiden and the steelworks etc. and I know exactly where I am.

Similarly, there are a couple of landmarks seen from the train on the approach to Centraal that let me know I'm nearly there.

Finally, walking past the windows of the Singel RLD where there are usually a couple of early starters smiling enticingly. Then I'm definitely there.
Posted: 2014-09-07, 11:32 pm

lilji
Getting to CS from Amstel station (I always bus it from London). I always walk out the station, stop for a minute and listen to the trams and take a 180 Degree look and then begin the walk up Damrak. That's the best feeling.
Posted: 2014-09-08, 10:04 am

kingconan
Hmm either seeing the yellow double decker trains at the Schiphol station (don't get double decker trains in UK)
or when you exit CS station and see the buildings and tourist boat bit.
Posted: 2014-09-08, 2:47 pm

greenhoffSupporting Member
Supporting Member
ps

forgot to mention avoiding the 1st " doggie deposists" on the pavements !! lol

regards

Posted: 2014-09-08, 3:32 pm

weasel9x9Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Busting through the doors at Centraal Station, feeling the cool air, and hearing the first tram chime!
I love that moment. Does it for me every time.
But I get a big grin thinking about past adventures and old friends when I hear:
"The walkway is ending. Mind the step. The walkway is ending. Mind the step...."

Weasel

Posted: 2014-09-13, 11:35 pm

officematt2002
Rally when I get into the train station at Schiphol, but that isn't quite Amsterdam yet.

More like when the train doors open and I get that humid breeze of air and if lucky a smell of someone's last puff as they are about to travel the opposite way. God I love this city.
when are you in Amsterdam?
Posted: 2014-09-17, 3:29 pm

george47 Power Kat
The first site of the Amsterdam canals as I arrive by train. I often remember the first scene in the film Amsterdamned where there is a fantastic fly over view starting from that exact same location.
Posted: 2014-09-18, 12:12 pm

alexatmalta
I feel Amsterdam when I enter Schiphol, steping out of the plane.
I love Schiphol!
It's not exactly Amsterdam (well... it's not at all), I know, but it's so different from my departure airport.
I feel that multinational culture, it's beautiful, and though it's a big hub, it's so dutch!
I see those stewardess in KLM uniform going fast through it... and I'm happy!

Yes, after I get out of the Central Station - it's also impressive - you see city's panorama, trams, bykes and blondies... but Schiphol is the main feeling when arriving.
 [ 17 posts ] 

Jump to: