Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 8 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
How much do you spend on food daily in Amsterdam?
Posted: 2014-09-06, 6:18 pm

Amsterdamaged1
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Curious, as I am just working out my daily budget on food in Amsterdam. be interesting, to see just how much others spend daily on food, when eating out etc. I have got the idea of a 50euro budget on food for my upcoming trips. cheers
Re: How much do you spend on food daily in Amsterdam?
Posted: 2014-09-06, 6:23 pm

rugbywill78
It depends , I get breakfast at the hostel , may chips (fries) at lunch and go out to a restaurant ( normally walk to wok, or a Thai ) so roughly about 50 Euros .

I hope this helps in in a small way .
Will
Posted: 2014-09-06, 6:43 pm

george47 Power Kat
25 Euros approx. Never eat in hotel since I am not up that early.
Posted: 2014-09-07, 2:09 am

coolwhip45
I would bump that up to 75e if you plan to have some beers and weed/cakes. I saved a lot last time by eating free breakfast at the hostel too and buying a tub of cheese cubes I bought from a cheese shop. I just snacked on those delicious cubes of heaven for a few days and drank a lot of beer so didn't have much of an appetite..
Posted: 2014-09-07, 6:38 pm

lilji
I normally have breakfast in the hostel or a mcdonals cake and coffee ( so that's free or 2 Euro)

Then for lunch I have something for under 10 Euro

Then for dinner I always go Turkish/Kurdish which is about 12 Euro
Posted: 2014-09-08, 5:55 pm

jgramos Moderator
I get asked this often by friends/associates going over there for the first time.....but for me it's a tough one to answer!

The answer to the question you've asked is "not a lot". As I spend very little on food in Amsterdam - my time & money goes on drugs/alcohol/women so food doesn't really register in my order of priorities. I've been in the Dam for 3 or 4 nights, several times, and eaten no more than 2 bags of Lays (crisps) and maybe a cheese toastie....so I can do food over 3/4 days for under €5.
Needless to say, you want to know how much you need to bring with you. It depends on several factors such as whether you are smoking weed or drinking alcohol, whether you get the munchies from smoking weed, whether you're a night owl or not, how often/how much you eat at home, etc... etc.... also what sort of quality are you looking for? Febo (dirt cheap).....Macdonalds (cheap).....Argentinian Grill (average)....De Kas (expensive). De Kas would cost about €50 for a 3 course lunch, I believe....but also well worth it, from what I hear.

If you're a breakfast/lunch/dinner type person, then try and get your breakfast included in your room cost, and make the most of whatever it is. Then it all depends on the quality you're looking for....and also whether you want snacks in between main meals or for in your room at night.

I'd say an average person would be able to get all they need to eat through a day for under the €50 you're allowing for. But if you like luxuries or get severe munchies, then you'd be best allowing for extra.

Peace

Posted: 2014-09-08, 6:11 pm

davey1800Power Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
Depends if you like cafes/restaurants. If you just grab food from a shop then €30 per day would do. Having a steak or somesuch would bump that up by €25 or so. A breakfast from a cafe would set you back €10-15 for a good Full English.

Stocking up at the AH would set you back €15 per day, with €10 left for late night munchies from FEBO etc. So, €30 per day sounds ok that way.
Posted: 2014-09-09, 9:41 am

kingconan
When I go to Amsterdam I pig out so would maybe spend €10 on breakfast, €10-15 on lunch and maybe €30 on dinner. Then add beers/alcohol on top of that.
 [ 8 posts ] 

Jump to: