Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 6 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
OV chippenkart
Posted: 2014-10-30, 9:05 pm

technolight
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Coming back for another trip in mid Nov and have decided to go a bit upmarket on the hotel this time , Booked a suite at the Inntel Zaamdam, check it out WOW. (for about the same price as a shithole with shared bathroom on the Damrak )
And it is only 10 mins by trail to Centraal

What I would like to know is can I use my Chippenkart ( still 17 euros credit), on the sprinter trains.

Thanks troops and happy mongering.
Re: OV chippenkart
Posted: 2014-10-30, 9:21 pm

TurricaN
Yes, you can use your OV-chipkaart on Sprinter trains.

Just make sure that you check in with the correct point for the company of train you're travelling with. The majority of trains are NS, but some trains in the Netherlands are run by other companies (e.g. Arriva), who have their own OV-chipkaart check points, which you must use if you're travelling with one of their trains.

I'm not actually sure which (if any) other companies operate trains from/to Amsterdam, but it's worth bearing in mind just in case. You can check which company operates your route on ns.nl .
Posted: 2014-10-31, 12:14 am

technolight
Thanks that's good to know .

And just realised I should have looked at the card to find out how to spell,

OV-chipkaart
Posted: 2014-10-31, 1:38 am

hedgehog
You might find you can't check in with only €17 credit, because you reportedly need €20 credit to do so. There are other posts hereabouts that question how strictly that rule is applied.
Posted: 2014-10-31, 6:39 am

Aldebran LinkbatSupporting Member
Supporting Member
If you have the normal OV Chipkaart issued by the GVB, it won't actually work on the trains until you set it up at an NS ticket machine. You hold your card to the NS ticket machine reader and then it gives you various options. It should say something like "You are not currently set up to use the train" and directs you to the menu option that sets up the card for train travel (all they want you to do is select whether you will be travelling around in 1st Class or 2nd Class).

From a recent thread:

Quote:
If you want to use your OV Chipkaart on the train, you then have to go to an NS ticket machine and set it up for travel on NS (which is not that hard, basically you just tell the system if you want 1st Class or 2nd Class). The card is then permanently set up to allow train travel, and you check-in and check-out at the end of every journey on the readers. The only snag is that there is a minimum balance before you can use the train, I think it's officially €20 although someone mentioned that the actual amount might be lower. So you end up with a lot of credit sat on the card when you come back off holiday...or you forget to check-out at the airport and the system assumes you've travelled across the other side of Holland and deducts €20 or something silly.

I can't find the thread where someone was talking about the minimum balance accepted by the gates being less than the official €20 for train travel.....so I'd assume it really is €20 until someone gets concrete evidence to the contrary.

Posted: 2014-10-31, 2:04 pm

george47 Power Kat
There's a good read here- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OV-chipkaart
There's no harm in trying to check-in with less than 20 Euros but make sure you have enough time to top up if it doesn't work.
 [ 6 posts ] 

Jump to: