Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 4 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Micers Favorite Restaurants & Pub Fare
Posted: 2014-11-01, 3:28 pm

dustybottoms
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
I would like to hear fellow micers favorite grub spots in Amsterdam. Both the fancier sit down restaurants as well as the standard pubs with a small kitchens but killer food.

There's a plethora of information on "The Girls" and "The Weed" but after doing a search on this site I couldn't really find any posts devoted to food. My apologies in advance if it's there and I was unable to locate it.

Right now I've got my eyes on The Seafood Bar near Vondelpark as well as Kobe House in the city centre. Has anyone been to either of these restaurants? How about any recommendations on pub fare?

Chances are pretty good we get 95% of our daily caloric intake from FEBO (and truffles) but I wouldn't mind visiting a few new places this upcoming trip and I'm hoping the micer community can steer me in the right direction.

Thanks

DB
Re: Micers Favorite Restaurants & Pub Fare
Posted: 2014-11-01, 7:33 pm

TurricaN
I haven't been to those you mentioned, but here's a list of some places I've been to in Amsterdam:

Bazaar (World Restaurant)
I've been three times, and it's a great place to go if you want to try something different (I guess what I had was Moroccan or something?). It's a big place with a nice casual relaxed atmosphere, and very reasonably priced (not just the food, but also the beer). It's fairly far from the centre though, on the street of the Albert Cuyp market, which is also worth seeing by itself if you haven't been already.

Hard Rock Cafe (American Bar)
I've only been once, although it seems identical to other Hard Rock Cafes in terms of food, so I guess if you've been to one elsewhere then you'll know what to expect. The chicken wings with Heavy Metal sauce are absolutely heavenly. It's not really cheap, but the portions are American sized, so you'll definitely be full after a meal. It seemed to get quite busy though, so getting a table might be difficult (I ate near the bar instead). The Purple Haze cocktail was amazing too. It's near Leidensplein, so it's a bit far from the centre.

Tempo Doeloe (Indonesian Restaurant)
Not far from Rembrandtplein, I've only been once, but it was by far the best Indonesian food I've had anywhere in the Netherlands. Indonesian food in general is very popular with the Dutch, but it seems most is changed to cater to the Dutch taste and tends to be kind of bland for me. From what I understand, Tempo Doeloe is far more genuinely Indonesian, which is why it's so different and so much more tasty (and can be much hotter, depending on what you order). You'll probably need a reservation, since it seems to always be full. It's not really cheap either; the main meals were all around €25 if I remember correctly. It's worth it though.

St. James' Gate (Irish Pub)
I used to go here a lot before I became more adventurous, mostly because I really liked the smoked chicken salad, which is sadly no longer available. It's pretty decent food, but I consider it a little pricey these days for what it is, especially if you're drinking pints at ~€6 a round with your meal too. Last time I went earlier this year, I just had the nachos from the snack menu, which I'd definitely have again.

Durty Nellies (Irish Pub)
Seems like a cheaper alternative to St. James' Gate. I've only eaten here once, although I've been many times to drink. I had a Chilli Con Carne, which was very filling and good value for money. They advertise pie, chips and gravy with a pint of beer for €10 too, which seems like a great deal (especially in Amsterdam), but I haven't tried it myself yet. It's also very close to the RLD, so very convenient location too.

The Old Bell (English Pub)
On the corner of Rembrandtplein. This is another place I've only been to once. I had a very nice fish and chips for lunch whilst listening in to some British tourists in the middle talking very loudly in detail about their experience the previous night in the RLD. The food was great; I'd definitely go again.

There's lots of other places I've been that I don't remember or didn't impress me enough to make a recommendation: There's a South Indian restaurant as you head west away from Centraal Station which doesn't come close to the Koh-I-Noor. There's Molly Malone's (Irish pub) north of the RLD where I had a Sunday dinner that was OK, but didn't really impress me too much, although the other menu options may be better. There's Favorite Chicken (Fried Chicken) in the RLD near the church, which is another place I used to frequent as a student before I became more adventurous. I'm sure there are a few other places I'm forgetting.

During my next trip, I'm planning to visit Cafe Wau (Malaysian Restaurant) and De Bekeerde Suster (Dutch?) based on the recommendations I've had from members of this site. I would also be interested in reading more recommendations from others, since I always like to try new places when I'm in Amsterdam these days.
Posted: 2014-11-02, 12:03 am

kingconan
Hi Dusty!

It's been discussed a little bit before :)

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22989
Posted: 2014-11-02, 5:21 am

BoneJockeyPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
Castell's Bar Be Cue on Lijnbahnsgraacht off Leidseplein. Great steakhouse.
 [ 4 posts ] 

Jump to: