Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 5 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
NYE in Amsterdam Questions
Posted: 2014-12-07, 8:04 pm

lilji
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
I've tended to go back to Glasgow for NYE since moving to London, but the last couple of years haven't been as wild as before. I am really tempted to go to Amsterdam for NYE (tho hostel wise, probably camp up somewhere else in commuting distance as prices are ridiculous). Trying to find folks but it looks like I might be solo if I do go for it.

I've read there are lots of fireworks everywhere, including the centre. I've also read that it's pretty much fit your beer in a bag from the supermarket and that it's more or less allowed on NYE to drink on the street. Anyone been and can confirm this?

Is it a proper all night party? And do train services run on 1st?
Re: NYE in Amsterdam Questions
Posted: 2014-12-08, 12:21 pm

french7034
Hi mate. I went last year and am going again this year (via Belgium for some beer tasting). You will not be disappointed.
We had tickets to a dance event last year but everyone was having a great time getting merry / high in the streets that we just stayed out partying all night and missed the event. We ended up on Nieuwmarkt for the countdown and fireworks and then stumbled around De Wallen for hours going into different bars / clubs / windows and just generally letting our hair down.
It is extremely busy, noisy and crazy in the centre on NYE and if you are after that sort of thing then I would 100% recommend. We had no problems drinking on the streets as literally everyone was. Everyone (and I mean everyone) was spraying champagne around and letting off fireworks. It was awesome. We arrived home at 9am on 1st Jan which was quite a night out (not my first or last all nighter in De Wallen it must be said, which I always find a character building experience!).
What I would say is that things start to turn a little ugly after 4am on NYE. The police seem to just leave and it's pretty much carnage until 7/8am. If you're a little unhinged like myself, you might quite enjoy that atmosphere, otherwise I would make your way back around 4 to avoid 4 hours of lawlessness.
This year I'll head over to Gashouder where Carl Cox is playing a set and probably end up getting back to my apartment around 9am again...
CANNOT WAIT :)

Posted: 2014-12-10, 9:40 pm

Roland Power Kat
If you go, I recommend that you wear a scarf and a hat or at least have them with you.

The first time, that was recommended to me, I went "duhh! I know it can be cold".

No silly, I was told, it is a good idea to protect your hair from sparks and be able to pull the scarf up over your face so that you could breathe.

When the first handheld rocket hit the overhang of the stoop I was standing on and a few errant sparks fell down on my head and shoulders, I knew it was very good advice.

The smoke can be particularly thick if you are at the Waag or the Dam, so take the scarf <grin.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards, Roland.

Posted: 2014-12-13, 1:30 am

george47 Power Kat
Roland wrote:
When the first handheld rocket hit the overhang of the stoop I was standing on and a few errant sparks fell down on my head and shoulders, I knew it was very good advice.

Every year I read about the trouble Holland has with fireworks (and also setting cars on fire). They can only legally be sold for a few hours yet there is still a lot of trouble and moronic people throwing them around with no thought whatsoever. In the UK we can buy them all year round and problems are fairly minor. For once it is Holland with the strict rules, intolerance and poor behaviour and not the UK.
Re: NYE in Amsterdam Questions
Posted: 2014-12-15, 9:09 pm

Roland Power Kat
Just a little look..................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3zdT4lIYhA

[ 5 posts ] 

Jump to: