Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 18 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
currency
Posted: 2015-01-28, 3:41 pm

soliva80
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
hello I have a question for usd to euro's . I was wondering how do you get cash in Amsterdam . do you take it from a atm or do you exchange before you leave for Amsterdam . I was wondering what was the best way to exchange thanks for any info
Re: currency
Posted: 2015-01-28, 4:53 pm

kanweas
What i do, and my recommendation: bring a few euros in cash,for the train ticket and other needs as soon as you land, and get the rest from ATM's. In most cases the exchange rate on the atm is as good, or better than the exchange places. (Remember, "no fee" most often means: lousy exchange rate....)
Posted: 2015-01-28, 5:32 pm

kg6iro
I agree. If the ATMs give you a choice of withdrawing Euros or converting the amount to USD $, withdraw it in Euros. You will get your bank's rate which I have found is a better deal.
Posted: 2015-01-28, 8:19 pm

grimnul Power Kat
The only problem with the ATMs, I've found, is for whatever reason, all the ATMs around the De Wallen area seem to sometimes just go down at once inexplicably. I've had days where getting cash was no problem, then I've had days where I had to walk around for hours because every single ATM was out of order for some reason. I have heard this is not an uncommon occurrence is Amsterdam.

Personally, I just keep an eye on the exchange rate when I'm at home, and when it dips, I go out and buy whatever I think I'll need for my next trip. I have a safe in my hotel room, so I can keep my extra euros there. If I need more, I can hopefully find a functional ATM, if I don't spend it all, then I save it for my next trip.

Also worth considering, many banks charge a fairly substantial fee for withdrawing money out of country, and you also pay a service fee to the bank in Amsterdam, so you double dip on service charges whenever you withdraw cash. I find I save a fair bit by just bringing my cash with me.
Posted: 2015-01-28, 8:34 pm

BlutoBlutarsky Admin
grimnul wrote:
The only problem with the ATMs, I've found, is for whatever reason, all the ATMs around the De Wallen area seem to sometimes just go down at once inexplicably. I've had days where getting cash was no problem, then I've had days where I had to walk around for hours because every single ATM was out of order for some reason. I have heard this is not an uncommon occurrence is Amsterdam.

Yeah, they sometimes tend to run out of money on the weekends. :-/

Tip: Go in an Albert Heijn and use the machine in there. It doesn't tend to occur to visitors and many's the time I skipped a line of about 10 people for the Rabobank ATM on the Nieuwmarkt, walked inside the Albert Heijn a few metres away and used the ING ATM without having to wait. :-) Or if it's late and AH is closed, there's also another Rabobank ATM on the opposite side of the square that people don't seem to notice. There's also another big AH behind the palace.

Posted: 2015-01-28, 8:56 pm

Stratosphere
I always use the ones at Dam square. Never been down whenever I have been there. Also there are two in the beginning of Klaverstraat from Dam Square.
Posted: 2015-01-28, 9:22 pm

grimnul Power Kat
Huh. Good to know. I'll keep that in mind for next time.
Posted: 2015-01-28, 9:41 pm

greenhoffSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Order mine online and pick up @ Moneycorp {Gatwick] or Travelex [Heathrow]
regards

Posted: 2015-01-28, 10:14 pm

dayman
Idk if the rate is good and atm's are probably better but I like that pott change place on Damrock. I like that the amount that is calculated on their website is what you get.
Posted: 2015-01-29, 2:05 am

neurosynthPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
Look into the Charles Schwab checking that is tied to an investment account. There is no minimum, and you can leave your investment account at zero forever. The linked checking account has no monthly fees, will automatically *refund* atm charges regardless of the brand of atm you use, and they have no foreign transaction fees. I've used it once so far on this trip and it looks like the only charge was the foreign transaction fee of the German bank whose ATM I used, and the exchange rate was good. Oh, and the debit card comes with a chip in it!

Posted: 2015-01-31, 7:44 pm

Brunettes
I usually bring enough Euros to buy a train ticket and then exchange a wad of American currency at one of the booths on Damrak.
Posted: 2015-02-12, 9:33 pm

DogsAfirePower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
The ATMs have another limitation - a daily limit on the amount withdrawn. I tend to spend more time with a girl than many and, as a result, can go through the daily limit very quickly. An hour long session is standard with my favorites.

I allocate the amount that I amount that I am willing to spend on girls and weed for the amount of time I will be there, get a suitable amount of dollars from my bank (which charges a ridiculous exchange rate if I buy euros), and then change them in Amsterdam. Typically I go to Sun Ro, just a little way down Damrak from CS, as I have not found anywhere yet with better rates (Lorentz apparently has gone out of business).

the dogs
Posted: 2015-02-12, 10:16 pm

BlutoBlutarsky Admin
DogsAfire wrote:
The ATMs have another limitation - a daily limit on the amount withdrawn. I tend to spend more time with a girl than many and, as a result, can go through the daily limit very quickly. An hour long session is standard with my favorites.

I allocate the amount that I amount that I am willing to spend on girls and weed for the amount of time I will be there, get a suitable amount of dollars from my bank (which charges a ridiculous exchange rate if I buy euros), and then change them in Amsterdam.

Yup, I used to get around this by having two bank accounts. It's also a useful thing in case one of them stupidly gets locked by the anti-fraud dept (always a possibility when travelling, despite precautions.) Not practical for everyone maybe but I'd say this is the best (and cheapest) option.

Posted: 2015-02-13, 4:09 am

weasel9x9Supporting Member
Supporting Member
I plan my trips like Dogs, but I also have to pay cash in advance for a week at the apartment that I rent.
Between the apartment, renting my bike, getting gear at Grey Area, and being ravaged by Maxx, I spend a ton of money on my first day. I always call my bank to let them know that I need a lot of cash when I land. As long as they get notice, they will let me withdraw whatever I want, subject to the limit of the ATM machine, usually 250 euros per transaction. So I have to make ten ATM stops that morning!

Weasel

Posted: 2015-02-13, 12:42 pm

Shinken69 Power Kat
I always find the best delivery deal via......

http://travelmoney.moneysavingexpert.com

Posted: 2015-02-13, 7:13 pm

kingconan
Travelex for me - always seem to get a nice rate!
Posted: 2015-02-13, 8:19 pm

DogsAfirePower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
kingconan wrote:

I'm not sure which Travelex locations you are going to, but my experience is that Travelex consistently has the absolute worst exchange rates, plus fees. The rate that you see on the Sun Ro sign is exactly how much you will get.
Posted: 2015-02-13, 8:22 pm

kingconan
DogsAfire wrote:
kingconan wrote:

I'm not sure which Travelex locations you are going to, but my experience is that Travelex consistently has the absolute worst exchange rates, plus fees. The rate that you see on the Sun Ro sign is exactly how much you will get.

Oh really? I always pre-book my Travelex online and then pick it up at the airport commission free.
 [ 18 posts ] 

Jump to: