Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 5 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Amsterdam’s plan to save prostitutes is a billion euro gentrification project.
Posted: 2015-02-01, 8:37 pm

burn out
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
https://medium.com/@lalalalinder/amster ... 5183088650
Re: Amsterdam’s plan to save prostitutes is a billion euro gentrification project.
Posted: 2015-02-04, 6:30 am

officematt2002
Thanks for sharing this. So is city council really turning against this underhanded scheme?
Re: Amsterdam’s plan to save prostitutes is a billion euro gentrification project.
Posted: 2015-02-04, 7:18 pm

grimnul Power Kat
I sure hope so, but I don't have a ton of faith after what our government pulled here. The world really seems to be turning on sex workers in a big way recently. First Sweden, then several other Nordic countries, then 1012, now this bullshit in Canada. I think politicians have realized that prostitutes are a group that can very easily be marginalized for political gain due to how ignorant your average person is of the intricacies of the sex trade and how sex workers' need for anonymity prevents them from fighting back.

That said, even if 1012 goes through unimpeded, I still think Amsterdam will always be a fun place to visit and always have its share of good providers.
Posted: 2015-02-05, 7:38 am

officematt2002
The Federal law in Canada is being ignored...the police cannot be bothered with it, newspapers continue to advertise, municipalities continue to issue licenses (hypocrites, mind you). It won't stand up to its first legal challenge.
Posted: 2015-02-05, 7:14 pm

grimnul Power Kat
Yeah, I know. A buddy of mine is very political, he's interned for the Conservatives a couple times, both federally and municipally. We've discussed this a lot, he's very against the law as well. He actually put me in touch with the MP he was working for who I talked to a bit before the law passed. Didn't go anywhere, of course, but I tried.

Anyway, we were actually just talking about this yesterday. To date, there have been zero arrests, and our Premier has essentially flat-out said she doesn't like the law and is expecting it to be overturned. Regardless, I feel like the government really dropped the ball on this one. There are quite a few Americans who come here pretty regularly just for the legal prostitution. The government could have used this opportunity to regulate the sex trade in a way that would make things safe for all parties and also generate a lot of tourism and tax dollars.

We badly need a better subway system here in Toronto, a privately funded and highly regulated Red Light District could've gone a long way towards funding that.

Anyway, the point is, whether effective or not, it seems like torpedoing sex workers has become a popular political practise these days.
 [ 5 posts ] 

Jump to: