Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 22 posts ]  1, 2  Next
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Going to amsterdam on your own
Posted: 2015-02-24, 2:00 am

eyeballpaul
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Hi i am looking to go to amsterdam but cant get any of my friends to go with me and really want to go . would you recommend me going on my own would it be safe round RLD's
Re: Going to amsterdam on your own
Posted: 2015-02-24, 2:04 am

trumpets1234
I came home yesterday (and i'm just about to book another flight out, maybe wednesday), I went with a group of friends but ended up strolling round the RLD Saturday night around 3am. I had no problems as such, stayed away from any really empty alleys, but did have some rather friendly middle eastern guys chat to me on the walk back to hotel then offer me some "charlie". Never had a bad experience in the RLD but never say never.
Posted: 2015-02-24, 2:06 am

eyeballpaul
thanks for you quick response i was also thinking of going on queens day now known as kings day what you think. also i would need an excuse for going on my own ideas welcome
Posted: 2015-02-24, 2:29 am

grimnul Power Kat
I always go on my own, never had any problems. De Wallen is pretty safe, you'll get the occasional drug dealer, but you can mostly just ignore them. I have never felt even remotely threatened at any point when I was in Amsterdam. Just take the usual precautions you'd take anywhere; don't wave your money around, be aware of your surroundings, and don't put yourself in bad situations and you'll be fine.

De Wallen is also heavily patrolled by police and the area is always quite crowded, so your odds of being robbed or something really are slim to nil.

Personally, I don't like King's Day. It's way too crowded, you can barely get anywhere because of how many people there are on the streets. Also, most of the girls won't work on King's Day because it's just too crowded to be worth their time. Matter of taste, I suppose, if you like huge crowds, you may have a fun time, but for me, it's just too much.
Posted: 2015-02-24, 2:44 am

ams2008damPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
I would say if you walked a full lap of the main rld area you would see the police somewhere on every round.Its safe as any place just be advised its a very busy place so pickpockets and a few beggars.Just be carefull with id and money best place is to be left In hotel safe when your out and just take out enough money for the next couple of hours.
Posted: 2015-02-24, 3:33 am

theoregonian1
yea, echoing these posts.

I've went solo nearly every time i've been there. Besides the ccasional random drug dealer who you can easily ignore, safety is not a concern in the RLD.
Posted: 2015-02-24, 10:03 am

bt12610
I've gone solo almost 90% of the time for the past few years. In terms of safety, I think it's all okay. Although it can get quite lonely at times especially if you're going for a week. But that might just be me!
Posted: 2015-02-24, 9:43 pm

Carice Liefde Power Kat
Hi,

Surprisingly (or not) there is pretty much always someone in the RLD anytime of the day or night if you want to be reassured. Even at 4 am you can cross people, because they either go out from the last session of the night of a working girl or some people getting out from a club/danceclub (the escape for example for the most well-known on Rembrandtplein).

People are usually very friendly even at that time lol.

The only thing is to avoid drug dealers and all those people who try to sell shit under their coat, playing beggars or hassling you. The best answer : a firm "No" to the classic quote "You want coca ?".

Stay cool, keep your eyes open (there are many things to see apart from girls and weed), act politely with working girls/locals and it should be fine
Posted: 2015-02-25, 5:48 pm

greenhoffSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Always gone on my own. and always will !!

regards

Posted: 2015-02-25, 6:11 pm

ams2008damPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
Amsterdam can be best on your own,unless you have a very close. Friend you can share your hobby with it is hard to get away for the girls
Posted: 2015-02-25, 6:40 pm

kingconan
I would echo what some people have already said... I would say that Amsterdam is more fun travelling on your own - although meeting up with fellow micers is great!
Posted: 2015-02-25, 11:09 pm

bt12610
ams2008dam wrote:
Amsterdam can be best on your own,unless you have a very close. Friend you can share your hobby with it is hard to get away for the girls

precisely why i go on my own. i'm also terrified of ever bumping into anyone i know in DW or coming out of a kamer... especially during the busy summer months.
Posted: 2015-03-03, 12:30 am

robotron
I always go on my own. Best way to go in my opinion. I've never had a problem
Posted: 2015-03-08, 10:25 am

Bunny84
I have gone 4 days before my mates and hung about for days before my mates got there

never had a problem . I was told a story from a guy about loads of men getting raped that he knew from work . Most likely bullshit with all the gay places if they want sex they can get it .

Like anywhere you could have trouble but I would say it's much safer than London . As it gets later of a night stay away from the darker quieter streets . It's just common sense . Get your hotel in the red light district . I have stayed in a hostel before and ended up hanging round with loads of people having a great time
Posted: 2015-03-15, 3:07 am

lilji
Going on your own is great. The only trouble I've really had is on my first trip where a guy spotted me as a tourist, asked if I wanted weed then said it would be 40 Euros. I told him where to go and he got the message.

Go to the bars and sit at the bar if you get lonely, you'll always find someone to chat with.
Posted: 2015-03-15, 12:50 pm

bt12610
Has anyone ever gone for just a day trip? I'm thinking about going a few times for an early morning flight and then a late flight back. Hotels are getting pretty expensive during the peak summer months, as are flights, but it's such a short distance form the UK I think it's doable.

My only concern is getting really really bored in the day between sessions - I reckon I can hack 3 sessions in one day and that's only an hour of the whole day probably.
Posted: 2015-03-15, 2:49 pm

lilji
bt12610 wrote:
Has anyone ever gone for just a day trip? I'm thinking about going a few times for an early morning flight and then a late flight back. Hotels are getting pretty expensive during the peak summer months, as are flights, but it's such a short distance form the UK I think it's doable.

My only concern is getting really really bored in the day between sessions - I reckon I can hack 3 sessions in one day and that's only an hour of the whole day probably.

There was a poster in the distant past called loolz who has written great 1 day trip reports.

Half the time I've been to Amsterdam I've went for 1 day (arrive early morning, leave later at night) and 3 sessions is probably about the same for me. I filled in the day by going around the city and seeing different things as a tourist, going to a few bars, having some nice food, going for massage, just walking around the RLD and taking mental notes as to what my next session might be.

Amsterdam is a great city. Tourist stuff doesn't have to cost anything, nor does doing laps of the RLD between sessions. I've never got bored when I've done it. In fact, I always felt bad that I hadn't booked a hostel bed and could do it again the next day.

A hostel might be an idea at avoiding crazy hotel costs, for the sake of 20 Euro you can get a bed in the middle/near to the RLD.
Posted: 2015-03-16, 9:02 pm

anonymauz
Always going alone.. feeling safe strolling around anywhere at 3 am and im quite a small guy.. dont worry so much ;)
Posted: 2015-03-28, 7:46 am

Brunettes
Always gone on my own with no problems. Although I haven't really stayed in the RLD past 10:00. Usually in the bar by then.
Posted: 2015-03-28, 11:21 pm

Against_Reality
Last year i visited Amsterdam Solo, i enjoyed it so much .. sure it is different being a guy but i am talking in general about safety, friendly people and quality of streets.
u will face what u can see anywhere else, maybe a drunk guy or a dealer selling Charlie but nothin more serious i believe..
in less than two weeks i will be there again for 6 nights, 3 with some friends and rest by my own :)
 [ 22 posts ]  1, 2  Next

Jump to: