Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 21 posts ]  1, 2  Next
  Previous topic :: Next topic
high prices
Posted: 2015-05-01, 2:46 pm

ams2008damPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
good day to the forum im looking at at trip in june near my birthday.

the euro is good but the travel and hotels seem to be high,do hotels adjust there prices to the rate as there is normally a few hotels under 50 euro a night on booking.com,my fav citizen m is way up like 120 euro a night.

not sure what to do,change my money up now and whay for the low season before i go,

i dont really like the thought of a hostel any thoughts on a cheap place during 2nd week in june

thanks ams
Re: high prices
Posted: 2015-05-01, 3:09 pm

kingconan
Hi mate,

Hotels definitely jack up the prices in Summer. That plus the busy crowds is why I travel in Winter.
You may find the link below interesting in regards to GBP-EURO rates, it will let you know the general trend.

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=EUR&view=1Y

Regards,

James
Posted: 2015-05-01, 4:49 pm

lilji
Some hostels offer private rooms for around the price you are after. Whilst prices do go up in the summer, I've found travel and accomodation to be more expensive this year.
Posted: 2015-05-01, 5:31 pm

grimnul Power Kat
lilji wrote:
Some hostels offer private rooms for around the price you are after. Whilst prices do go up in the summer, I've found travel and accomodation to be more expensive this year.
Seems like it depends. I have a very cheap package booked for October. Granted, cheap is a relative term, given that I'm Mr. Fancy and stay at 5-star hotels, but I'm basically getting four days for free (this trip will cost about 200.00 more than my last trip, but my last trip was 12 nights and the next one is 17). Overall, the cheapest per-day trip I've ever had in Amsterdam.
Posted: 2015-05-01, 10:44 pm

retro Power Kat
I've also been looking and some of the prices are ridiculous, some 1-2 star hotels wanting £150 a night!
Try the Hotel Brouwer in the Singel. They don't change the prices all year round, but try them soon as they do get booked up.

Hotelbrouwer.nl
Posted: 2015-05-02, 11:34 am

technolight
Do what I have decided to do and have done for my last 2 trips and my latest one starting tomorrow , move out of town.

I have been using Inntel at Zaandam 10 mins by train to central , large room with own sauna and Jacuzzi for 70 odd euros per night, right next to train station , In central Amsterdam you would pay that for a shitty room the size of a prison cell with a shared toilet , believe me Ive been there and done it , got the flea bites to prove it .
Posted: 2015-05-02, 1:35 pm

molby
technolight wrote:
Do what I have decided to do and have done for my last 2 trips and my latest one starting tomorrow , move out of town.

I have been using Inntel at Zaandam 10 mins by train to central , large room with own sauna and Jacuzzi for 70 odd euros per night, right next to train station , In central Amsterdam you would pay that for a shitty room the size of a prison cell with a shared toilet , believe me Ive been there and done it , got the flea bites to prove it .

I'm with you technolight tho i usually stay at sloterdijk station at either meininger or the holiday express hotel right by the station...sounds a pain in the arse but its really easy...5 minutes by train and very regular trains, only downside is last train back to sloterdijk is 1.30 am usually...but this is fine for me. Gonna check out your suggestion sounds great..especially with the sauna and jacuzzi.
Posted: 2015-05-02, 3:02 pm

G H Bone
Agree with the previous posts - staying out of town is worth thinking about. I stayed in Haarlem for my last trip, train to Amsterdam Centraal takes 15-20 minutes and the hotels definitely better value than what you get in Amsterdam.
Posted: 2015-05-02, 3:21 pm

kingconan
For November I managed to find the Doubletree Hilton for around €100 a night which is a pretty good rate.
Last May when I visited I paid a stupid amount of money to stay at the Inntel - more like €250 a night.
Posted: 2015-05-02, 5:31 pm

technolight
kingconan wrote:
For November I managed to find the Doubletree Hilton for around €100 a night which is a pretty good rate.
Last May when I visited I paid a stupid amount of money to stay at the Inntel - more like €250 a night.

That will be the Inntel next to In DE wildeman pub , tried it once before and it was expensive , just priced 3 random nights at Inntel Zaandam for mid July £80 a night , for that price anyone can manage 12 mins on a train.
Posted: 2015-05-02, 5:37 pm

kingconan
technolight wrote:
kingconan wrote:

That will be the Inntel next to In DE wildeman pub , tried it once before and it was expensive , just priced 3 random nights at Inntel Zaandam for mid July £80 a night , for that price anyone can manage 12 mins on a train.

Yeah that's the one!

It all comes down to personal preference. I only visit a couple of times a year (and even that is hard at the moment) so I when I visit I like to make the most of it. I like to stay in the centre and enjoy all of the nice things that the city has to offer. I would rather pay more and get to soak up the atmosphere a bit more :)
Posted: 2015-05-02, 6:43 pm

grimnul Power Kat
kingconan wrote:
technolight wrote:
kingconan wrote:

Yeah that's the one!

It all comes down to personal preference. I only visit a couple of times a year (and even that is hard at the moment) so I when I visit I like to make the most of it. I like to stay in the centre and enjoy all of the nice things that the city has to offer. I would rather pay more and get to soak up the atmosphere a bit more :)
I agree. I only make it out twice a year or so, so staying in the Centrum area is mandatory for me. Also love the convenience of being able to literally roll out of bed and be able to be getting a blowjob within 15 minutes, should I so choose. That alone is worth the premium I pay to me.
Posted: 2015-05-04, 6:46 pm

glasgowguy_69
I am only managing a trip once a year just now, and thats only for a few days at a time so I'm perfectly happy staying central. I don't always stay in the same place, i tend to just stay wherever seems like the best price for somewhere basic but clean and centrally located. For the amount of time i spend in the room its not essential i stay somewhere too fancy. I don't like hostels however.
One of my reasons for staying central is i am quite a night owl and sometimes dont go back to my room and go to bed until after 4am. I'll walk de wallen, stopping in pubs then end my night walking round the singel rld before hitting the pillow.

Posted: 2015-05-04, 6:56 pm

Stratosphere
Personal preference indeed. And it also depends what you want to do. I always stay around Wallen til really late and end it all with maybe a lap dance. Too late for a train out of centraal.
Posted: 2015-05-04, 8:29 pm

Carice Liefde Power Kat
Hi,

June-July and September (early days) are three months on the high season so the price rises. In october you can find nice hotels for half the price or so, and it's evencheaper in January, February, but also the time when rain is sometimes heavy as well as the freeze.

I've never really stayed in a hotel located in the centre of Dam. Been only once on Prins Hendrikkade which is the closest hotel I've been in, late in 2009 for Christmas. It was Y Boulevard for the ones that this hotel rings a bell you know what I mean about "cheap and tiny" rooms. Price was ok, hotel room cheap, basic breakfast, but it was a fantastic trip and basically I stay in the hotel just for sleep.

I used to stay at Hotel Atlanta, it's a very nice hotel for staying a week, especially for the double rooms. Right in the middle of Rembrandtplein, so if you have the chance to have the room on the other side of the hotel, on the sewer, it's better. View is not the best, but you'll be in a safe and calm environment, whilst it's VERY noisy if you're facing Rembrandtplein with Escape Club and the smaller club on the right, next to Smokey Coffeeshop.

I used to stay two times at Tulip Inn, the rooms are quite large and with nice accomodations. It's the only hotel I've done that provides magnetic cards for the in and out.

Stayed as well at Old Quarter at the time when lunch and diner were still served. Very relaxed diner room at the time, with the luggages and Mickey the cat above your head. Tiny rooms too, sometimes quite noisy, depending who are your neighboors, but food was excellent, waitresses friendly and very well located (5 minutes walking distance from the main RLD). Plus it was just right next to Hunter's Coffeeshop.

Stayed very recently at ITC on Prinsengracht. Ok hotel, friendly staff at reception desk, very nice breakfast. And even a can disributor with mix of whisky/coca & razor blade with shaving foam in case of emergency. Very tiny rooms and bathrooms in the one I stayed (two people in), nice view on the canal just in face of the window, very noisy during afternoon but it doesn't matter as I don't stay in room at this time. But I suppose that it can be a problem for someone who likes to have a little rest early in the afternoon before getting laid later around 4pm in the RLD ( :-)

Prinsengracht environment is very nice : lots of cafes, bars, restaurants, shops.

I never really thought about the distance between the RLD and the hotel. I never thought it would be a problem to be on Rembrandtplein or Prinsengracht. I do love to walk (and walk a lot) so night walking is very ok for me, even if it includes twenty five minutes of walk between La Vie en Proost and my room (which was the case) and more than 40 minutes to Centraal Station.
Posted: 2015-05-04, 10:27 pm

Stratosphere
We are thinking of going all in with the Grand Hotel Amrath 5 star hotel in july. It's on discount right now. Very short walk from RLD. Not that much more money than 3-4 star in Dam area.

http://www.amrathamsterdam.com/default-en.html

Then again. Hotels are usually only for sleeping so whats the point.

Last edited by Stratosphere on 2015-05-04, 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Posted: 2015-05-04, 10:54 pm

grimnul Power Kat
Stratosphere wrote:
We are thinking of going all in with the Grand Hotel Amrath 5 star hotel in july. It's on discount right now. Very short walk from RLD. Not that much more money than 3-4 star in Dam area.

Then again. Hotel are usually only for sleeping so whats the point.
The Amrath is where I stay.

Rooms are nice and not TOO small, though it seems to depend. Some rooms, even within the same room type are bigger or smaller than others. Bathrooms are very nice, big bathtubs, which is good for me because I like to take a good soak after a day out. Also, the minibar is free (although they no longer have liquor in them, just beer, wine, water, and soft drinks).

Very cool old building too, if that matters to you at all.

I'd recommend it and it does seem to be very cheap for a 5-star hotel in general.
Posted: 2015-05-04, 11:01 pm

Stratosphere
grimnul wrote:
Stratosphere wrote:

Then again. Hotel are usually only for sleeping so whats the point.
The Amrath is where I stay.

Rooms are nice and not TOO small, though it seems to depend. Some rooms, even within the same room type are bigger or smaller than others. Bathrooms are very nice, big bathtubs, which is good for me because I like to take a good soak after a day out. Also, the minibar is free (although they no longer have liquor in them, just beer, wine, water, and soft drinks).

Very cool old building too, if that matters to you at all.

I'd recommend it and it does seem to be very cheap for a 5-star hotel in general.

Cool, thanks a lot. Might just go with the Amrath then
Posted: 2015-05-05, 6:18 pm

Aldebran LinkbatSupporting Member
Supporting Member
The main thing that's been annoying me about the hotel prices is that the pound is something like 30% stronger compared to the low it reached a few years ago against the euro, but the hotel prices in £ have stayed much the same.

The height of the summer in July or August doesn't always seem to be the most expensive time, I find that April, May or September the prices are higher (don't have much experience of June trips due to family birthdays). I do like the bargains available on out-of-season trips in February, November and so on, although I worry about weather disrupting travel in the middle of winter. Amsterdam is very pleasant when there are less people about.

Looking at Hotels.com for 5 nights in mid-June avoiding Fri/Sat (14-18), it does seem quite expensive but there are a few budget places that pop up at cheap prices - e.g The 2* ITC hotel near the Skinny Bridge on Prinsengracht (not far from Rembrantplein) pops up for £225 (for 5 nights..... that's only £45 / €60 per night) within walking distance of the RLD.

I usually book on Hotels.com, you collect "free nights" (for every 10 nights you book through them, you get a discount worth the average £ value of the ten nights) which is basically a 10% discount. There's also that Priceline website, I don't use it myself but I think you can name a price, specify the centrum for a particular star rating and see if it has anything to offer. Could be good if you are willing to chance the specific hotel.

If you absolutely have to stay in the centre you will get tend to get higher prices and smaller rooms.....or you can slum it more cheaply in "interesting" accommodation, hostels e.t.c

There are also events, conferences e.t.c (e.g the Amsterdam Dance Event) that push prices up in specific weeks.

I do 5-night trips, generally in 4* hotels, and I find that staying Sun-Thu nights is usually cheaper than staying over the weekend (e.g £345 vs £435).

I tend to stay on the periphery of Amsterdam but within the "ring road" area that you see on the maps. My next trip is in the rather nice Amsterdam ID Aparthotel at Sloterdijk, which is basically a kind of hybrid between a hotel room and a one-room apartment - you've got quite a large room with a bed at one side, a basic kitchen area (microwave and hobs but no grill or oven), a kitchen table, and a TV with a comfy chair - or even a sofa in some of the slightly bigger rooms. In July you could get an "executive" apartment, with the kitchen / living area separate from the bedroom, for £88 (€120) per night. The normal rooms were about £70 / €95 per night. A lot of extra space for the sake of a 5-minute train ride.

I've also stayed recently at the new Best Western Premier Hotel Couture down by the World Fashion Centre, verrryyyy nice big rooms but a fair trip on tram 2 to the centre.

Another couple of new (?) places that look interesting are Room Mate Aitana in the dock area just outside Centraal Station (too pricey for me but it but looks nice, the views must be good) and Grand Hotel Downtown on Eerste Constantijn Huygenstraat.

I like some of these purpose-built 4* hotels slightly outside the centre, it's nice to check into a room and think "wow, this looks just like the photos on the website" instead of "fucking hell this is a bit pokey".

.....but why am I writing such a long post on hotels? Must be bored

Posted: 2015-05-05, 10:20 pm

Stratosphere
Your post is not boring to me Aldebran. Important information. Can't sleep in the streets :)
 [ 21 posts ]  1, 2  Next

Jump to: