Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 18 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Dodgy RLD
Posted: 2015-11-01, 11:32 pm

AMSBIKER
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Right. I've been going to the dam for about 15 years now and my most recent trip was about a month ago. First thing I noticed was a distinct lack of police in the rld and lots of people fucking about and dodgy geezera handing about. While wandering around the old sexyland area about 10pm ish , which was packed full of people at the time. Three, what I would describe as Arab looking blokes tried to mug me. Not a blatant "give me your wallet" type of thing but a bundle you into a corner while talking to you and laughing. And then hands into your pockets. I didn't cop what was happening at first especially as the place was full of people. One of them was saying "football yeaaa" and saying "kick" as he was as he was trying to kick my legs out from under me. Now, unfortunately for them I have studied aikido for 26 years to I took two of them out rather abruptly and the third one ran away. As the two picked themselves up from the floor and started to come back at me I shouted very loudly "leave me alone" and "muggers" at which point the crowd around realised what was going on and turned on them and they legged it. Shame really. It's the only incident I have ever had in Amsterdam over the years but there is a distinct sinister atmosphere in the RLD nowadays and I for one shall be avoiding it whenever possible

For your info

AB

Posted: 2015-11-02, 12:21 am

Anglofil
Sad to hear about that experience of yours. Personally, I found it being worse 15 yrs ago, then gradually getting better/safer thanks to more policemen and fewer bridge trolls, but the last 3 yrs it's gotten worse again.
I used to carry pepper spray, Swiss police extra strong 13%, which I almost had to use once, in the north end of Achterburgwal, 3 yrs ago.
Re: Dodgy RLD
Posted: 2015-11-02, 12:26 am

Aldebran LinkbatSupporting Member
Supporting Member
I've not really experienced or seen anything like this in the RLD, but then again it would be odd if a crowded place full of tourists and people with €50 notes didn't attract a few pickpockets and various neer'-do-wells.

Quote:
I shouted very loudly "leave me alone" and "muggers" at which point the crowd around realised what was going on

Leaving aside the aikido (not too sure what that involves but I hope it was painful for them) that's probably the best thing to do. If the police are made aware of this kind of thing they might be able to look at the CCTV.....but filling out forms in a Dutch police station is not much of a way to spend a holiday, and possibly they already know the "usual suspects" for this kind of thing.

I thought the atmosphere in the RLD was fairly mellow and touristy during my visit last week, I did see a few police around, the main problem was trying to get anywhere fast through the evening crowds. I'm more worried about pickpockets when I'm carrying baggage around stations e.t.c

The funniest dodgy character I saw was some guy whispering "ecstasy" who looked just like Tariq Aziz who used to be in Saddam Hussein's government....surreal.

Posted: 2015-11-02, 3:07 am

grimnul Power Kat
This is one of the perks of looking like a hulking mob enforcer. No one ever hassles me. Absolute worst I've experienced was some dude coming up to me in FEBO begging for change and he was promptly told by the guy behind the counter to get the fuck out of his store.

Obviously, no one is immune to being a victim, but in my case, it seems people are much, much more likely to pick another target before they decide to try their luck. Also, I do have a background in Muay Thai and boxing, though I've never had to use it. Last time I was in a fight, I had to have been 15.

I should also say, I did notice the police around a lot, and I tend to be careful and avoid going down dodgy alleyways on my own and usually ignore people who may try to get my attention (not that it happens often).
Posted: 2015-11-02, 4:38 am

Aldebran LinkbatSupporting Member
Supporting Member
One unusual scam I heard about a couple of years back is when a girl working in Molensteeg 41-5 (opposite the Old Sailor) warned me that she'd had trouble with a guy outside who would hassle customers as they left, claiming to be her pimp and demanding money. Basically she just told me to ignore them if it happens, that they weren't dangerous or connected to her in any way, just "trying it on" with some people. In the event nothing happened when I left the kamer, although the suspense did put a bit of a buzzkill on the session.....

Posted: 2015-11-03, 8:03 am

davey1800Power Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
AMSBIKER wrote:
While wandering around the old sexyland area about 10pm ish , which was packed full of people at the time. Three, what I would describe as Arab looking blokes tried to mug me. Not a blatant "give me your wallet" type of thing but a bundle you into a corner while talking to you and laughing.

Ewww, the horrible little fuckers. The temerity of these type of vermin... they see it as a job, not as something risky. I wish a very painful chain of events on them all.

p.s. all this talk of you guys having so many years of this type of karate, or that type of ju-jitsu... I have so many years of running away screaming like a little girl ;)

p.p.s. I remember I was outside a bar/cafe leeching wifi just off Damrak and these arab guys (sorry, but it's always them) started sidling up to me, casually trying to engage me in conversation as they tried to stand in front of me and behind me. I just ignored them and walked away before anything happened. It can happen to us all.
Posted: 2015-11-03, 2:11 pm

drizzle
Well done AMS. Sounds like you handled it well. I'd agree with all points. Like Grimnul, I'm a big lad and that puts most (but not all) of these cunts off. I just have a blanket ignore policy in the RLD and urban areas that I don't know well. If I want to talk you, I'll already know about it. If you're approaching me on the street there's a good chance it's dodgy. Just brush 'em off and they'll keep looking for someone else.

Personally I think it feels much safer than when I first went in the early nineties.

My second trip I was visting family. I think I was fifteen. Family member drops me off in a coffeeshop opposite Centraal on the night that I was going home. Like I could see the place through the window. They left to go to to work, I just had to sit tight for an hour or two until it was time to go. But the munchies got the better of me and I left in a daze to search out falafel. Somehow I ended up going round and round the nether regions of the red light in paranoid circles, all the narrow little alleys with fuck all street lighting. I got in this loop that I should stride round purposefully to avoid looking like a tourist instead of working out where I was. I swear there were pimps and dealers in every doorway, like zombies they just kept on coming. Saw some kind of Rasta looking coffee shop and thought 'Rastas are cool, I'll be OK in there'. Walked in and it's chock full of dodgy Turkish geezers with scars. Who all turned to look at me, Werewolf in London style. So then I had to stay, or else they would know I was freaked out. And smoke another joint...
Posted: 2015-11-03, 6:00 pm

Stratosphere
Luckily I haven't experienced anything bad. Just the occasional: Hey you want charlie or cocaine. Especially around Oude Kerk.

I like to think that its easier to get scammed inside the kamers than outside.
Posted: 2015-11-03, 8:45 pm

kroona
A friend of mine got robbed the summer of 2013. It was late, around 1-2 at night, and 3-4 guys got him in an alley and pushed him up against a wall and said give me your money. He said 'no' so they pushed again and he gave them the money, and then it was over. So shit happens, but only incident in several trips.
Posted: 2015-11-04, 2:51 am

ams2008damPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
Ive never had a problem but its always in my mind because of the area im in i have my valubles tucked right down under my trouses in a secret wallet away from pick pockets.also when im in town i dress quite scruffy so the mugers proberly think im not worth it.I genrally have under 100 euro in my pcket so hopefully that would be all they find if someone grab hold of me.

When i was a young kid walking home with my dad he see 3 people walking behind us closing in my dad was very handy in the boxing game he turn round punch one who went out like a light the other 2 ran off will never forget that as long as i live when i was a kid my dad was like a hero to me lol.
Posted: 2015-11-04, 1:26 pm

drizzle
Super-dad!
Posted: 2015-11-05, 5:28 am

Carice Liefde Power Kat
Hi,

Sorry to hear that AMSBIKER.
The only issue i met in the last six or seven years was the drug dealers keeping asking for "Coca ? Coca ?" on the way to the RLD, near to OudeKerkplein at midnight or something. ONLY one. Always a firm "NO" said was the solution to keep them away with no big deal. It always worked.

For the rest, always keep an eye open on what was going on, carry not a lot of money on me in my pockets. I'm surprised to see many people holding their Iphones in the back pocket clearly visible, great chances to get stolen but that is their choice. I wouldn't move in any area like this...

I 've never found the RLD to be seedy at any moment of the day or night, been walking once till 3 am (which was quite rare, the most common was 2 am at max, after a La Vie en proost visit) and never met any problem. I'm kind of reassured when i see many cops on their bikes during nightshift, it's a very touristic place, so they have to stay on alert but all in all is a VERY safe place if you don't look voluntarily for problems.
Posted: 2015-11-05, 7:59 am

neurosynthPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
I used to respond to the drug pushers who repeat "coca? coca?" by saying "No coke. Pepsi."

That's a joke that only a fan of the original Saturday Night Live would get, but I found it hysterically funny.

Posted: 2015-11-05, 8:00 am

ams2008damPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
in ams once i see 2 drug dealers having a very big argument one saying cant we just talk about this the other replying f off lol.Maybe about who sells where.

In this day and age im afraid you can get mugged scammed pickpockets at any time anywhere.

thinking back to my last trip i felt quite vulnerable when i had a very early train to catch at 6am and had to walk from hotel torentz in the dark with very quiet streets,was very surprised there was a couple of kamers still open.
Posted: 2015-11-06, 11:28 am

kingconan
I guess this can happen anywhere but still not nice to hear.

It's very difficult to know what to do - I can handle myself fairly well but you never know who is going to have a knife on them!
Posted: 2015-11-07, 1:36 pm

officematt2002
I was in the RLD two weeks ago and come to think of it did not notice as much of a police presence as in the past. Last May I witnessed a big take down of some angry and very drunk English bloke who claimed to have done nothing over and over again (I am sure he did something) in the main public area by Sexyland. Even a cop on horse came into the area so I got the fuck out but it was entertaining.

My policy is to walk with purpose with a grumpy don't fuck with me face. By the time they ask me something I am well beyond them and they move along. I'll be watching out for dirt bag Arabs in the meantime as I am back tomorrow. I don't tend to stay out too late anymore and if I do it is outside of the RLD. Although I find that the Nieuwendijk area can be a bit sketchy after dark once all the stores close. I just get onto Damrak asap.

It is all the charm of Amsterdam though and I like it. I do recall my first visit in 2003 being quite an eye opener. I was in Chinatown by the temple and it was quite foggy and I did not know where I was and ran straight into a band of babbling wandering junkies. My sister in law said that they must have been getting their benefits or food there when I walked into them. Reminded me of something out of the Walking Dead. Also many junkies throughout the area then and hardly any if at all now. My brother told me them just to ignore and not engage them and all will be good. I had friends the following year who got mugged but they violated every rule possible on that trip and it was their just desserts. I had bailed on them by that point as I knew the gig would be up for them quickly.
Posted: 2015-11-08, 1:57 pm

kaiserscouse
Around 3 years ago I was having a smoke outside the Kras before going up to my room for the night. It was late, maybe 3 in the morning, and I'd had a full day of drinking, smoking and mongering. I probably looked like an easy mark. I was approached by a young eastern European looking lad in an Italy shirt, who asked me for a cigarette. I duly obliged and we chatted about football for a couple of minutes. He said goodbye and then hugged me! I felt his hand go into my trouser pocket as he did so. As we parted I checked my pocket and discovered that the 50 euros that had been there had gone. “Give me my money back” I said. He immediately handed it back laughing. “Good one!” he said and walked away. I did think about following him and giving him a smack but, as I already had my money back and didn't know if he was carrying a knife, I just let him go.

2 years ago I was walking along outside Remember at around midnight when I was approached by a black guy trying to sell coke, or more likely washing up powder! I told him I wasn't interested but he was persistent and carried on walking alongside me, telling me what a good deal he would do. At one point he put his arm around my shoulder and dipped his hand into my shirt pocket, which contained 50 euros. “Give me my money back” I said, expecting a similar outcome to last time. Instead, he squared up to me and growled “You're gonna die now”. Unlike AMSTBIKER, I have not studied aikido. Nor am I particularly brave. This was, however, my last 50 euros and I had been on my way to see Agnieszka! “Give me my fucking money back!” I said. “I'll fucking kill you!” he retorted.

I glanced down to make sure he wasn't carrying a knife and saw that the only thing in his hands was my 50 euros. I fixed the centre of his forehead with an intense stare. I've used this technique before and it really disconcerts people. My shaved head, bulging eyes, Scouse accent and manic grin probably also helped. “Come on then” I said, “Let's fucking do it!” He looked puzzled. “I'll fucking kill you?” he repeated, with little conviction. I grabbed my money from his hand and he didn't resist. “Yeah, yeah, yeah” I said and walked away leaving him looking somewhat deflated. I had an excellent session with Agnieszka!

These vermin who prey on who they perceive to be easy targets are cowards. They don't actually want any confrontation. Stand up to them and they'll back down. This is by no means unique to Amsterdam.
Posted: 2015-11-13, 11:14 pm

Fitz
I've been here over 10 years and generally it is toytown.
However, if you do get into a situation, you are better off making the first move in order to get the other party to back down. That move can be as subtle as you like, or not. Anyone wanting to mess with you without knowing you is fair game. But if they know who you are, you might want want to have a rethink about why you are here if hey are still persistent.
 [ 18 posts ] 

Jump to: