Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 17 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Amsterdam for New Years Eve
Posted: 2004-11-01, 8:39 pm

autodeist
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Thinking about going to Amsterdam this New Years. What, besides the usual, will be happening? I have been 4 times already, but never for the holidays. Also, how bad are the crowds?
Re: Amsterdam for New Years Eve
Posted: 2004-11-02, 3:33 am

fallen_buddha
it will be like being in a war zone. huge crowds, maniacs with monsterous pyrotechnics, lots of drunken partiers, pickpockets, etc etc etc . the next morning the street is littered with spent fireworks and vomit. always a good time.

peace -fb

Posted: 2004-11-02, 12:53 pm

ToughFerret
Sounds awesome - my ticket is booked for the 31st Dec.

See you then !!!
It is like no other place to be but you ................
Posted: 2004-11-02, 4:36 pm

Roland Power Kat
have to wanna (as George Carlin said) to be there. The Waag is a riot as are the other major squares like Rembrandt's, Leidesplein and the Dam. It is indeed a good time just be careful as there are lots of drunken folks throwing firecrackers and shooting off fireworks rather indiscriminately. Best advice I can give (particularily if you are planning on the Waag) is to wear a scarf and a wool hat (it will be cold anyway) but mainly to protect your hair and to pull the scarf over your face when the smoke gets too thick and it can and it often does. Lots of places offer parties but they sell out early so do some searching if that is what you want to do. Try AUB or the VVV to see what tickets might be available. There are some bars and clubs that you can walk by and enter for a cover charge but they will be few and far between. I have walked through the red paper from the fireworks in the mornings and have seen it a foot deep. By the way you are able to drink on the street so if you buy a bottle of champagne early in the afternoon you will have something to drink as you and your honey (or other friends) walk around. I think I have only ever seen one fight on NYE but I would be careful as Fallen Buddha suggested with pick-pockets. Hope this helps. Regards. Roland,
Re: It is like no other place to be but you ................
Posted: 2004-11-02, 7:10 pm

autodeist
Thanks for the info! As I am from New Orleans, it all seems pretty standard, what with Mardi Gras and all. Just reserved a room and bought my tix... can't wait!!
Posted: 2004-11-04, 3:58 am

muckypup
A very special war zone, though.

I've been for the last seven years at NYE. It wouldn't be the same without it, Each year, my stay gets longer.

At my last job interview, I checked with the bosses that time off over the NY period would never be a problem. It's _that_ important to me.
Posted: 2004-11-04, 5:31 am

ToughFerret
Muckypup

Which do you think is better for spending the midnight at?

Dam Square or the Waag?
Posted: 2004-11-04, 8:39 pm

Maxx
I have done Amsterdam on NYE many times, all that Fallen budda said is true, but it is still one of the best parties I have experienced. One note:

Get a hotel reservation EARLY, thousands of guys end up sleeping in cars parked due to lack of hotel rooms.
Posted: 2004-11-05, 1:54 am

muckypup
Undoubtedly Dam Square. What do you think?

I can't fucking wait...
Posted: 2004-11-05, 1:57 am

muckypup
"Get a hotel reservation EARLY, thousands of guys end up sleeping in cars parked due to lack of hotel rooms."

_Extremely_ sound advice.

On NYE itself, most hotels will actually place a sign on the door saying 'FULL' because they get so sick of turning people away.

Booking _now_ is almost too late. By the end of this month, any rooms left will be at premium prices.
Posted: 2004-11-05, 3:06 am

ToughFerret
Will be my first time in the Dam for NYE, but 3rd altogether though so i can't wait. I shall let you know what i think of Dam Square :-)

Got the hotel booked, Hotel Niuew Slotania, it's near Vondelpark (about 30-40mins walk from Dam Square) but a triple room was €325 for 3 nights starting NYE.
Any hotel closer than this was almost twice as much already - except one sketchy looking place on the outskirts of the Red Light (not my cup of tea for a hotel location)

All thats left, apart from flights, is to send an email to Grey Area and reserve some Grey Mist Crystals ~ if only!
Posted: 2005-11-10, 9:18 pm

autodeist
Thanks for all the advice. Can't wait till NYE!! My only problem now is that Northwest keeps changing my flights around. Maybe I can scam some 1st class tickets out of them if I play it right.
Posted: 2005-11-10, 10:26 pm

StarrDluX
we are flying KLM (NWA) and are staying at the Kras... we got what I think of as a steal of a deal at the Kras as at $199 a night starting from 12/28-1/3 is less than what we paid in February!

autodeist: when you say NWA is changing your flight around what do you mean?

Posted: 2005-11-11, 1:31 am

Full_MontySupporting Member
Supporting Member
I was there this past New Years Eve, and totally blown away at all the fireworks. You could look 360 degrees around the city, and eveywhere, every bridge, for as far as I could see, there were big time fireworks going off, and it lasted for what seemed to be hours. For a Californian (where fireworks are mostly illegal) it was a sight never to be fogotten.
Posted: 2005-11-11, 10:47 am

tw25rw Power Kat
Also, there aren't many girls working that night...

Posted: 2005-11-13, 1:51 am

autodeist
I'm in New Orleans and I suspect that it's from the lack of available flights. I was originally scheduled to leave AMS at 2 PM then NWA sent me an email and changed my flight to 7AM that day. I paid a good bit more for my chosen flight times in August and told a rep about it and she changed it with no problem. A few days ago, another change was made giving me a 2 hour layover in Memphis (outbound). What makes it really a pain is that I am asking my girlfriend to marry me on this trip, and the whole thing is a secret, so I have to sneak around to call NWA so she doesn't catch on.
Posted: 2005-11-13, 3:09 am

StarrDluX
gotcha gotcha...

good luck!!

as hedonistic as Amsterdam is i totally find it to be a romantic place!

[ 17 posts ] 

Jump to: