Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 6 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Wonderful Tram Software for PDA's
Posted: 2005-05-13, 5:32 am

abc123Power Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
I really apologize for not posting this sooner. Anyone with a PDA (Palm or Pocket PC) should go to http://tinyurl.com/ddw59 and download a freeware program called METRO. It is a fabulous guide to public transport systems throughout the world including Amsterdam's tram, bus and metro system. Once you download the software, you can then download whatever cities you choose. It's not easy to describe but let's say you want to go from Leidseplein to Albert Cuypstraat. You use pull down menus to get to your starting and ending spot (every stop in the system as well as most tourist attractions are in the menu). You click on the run icon and you get a list of the the fastest route, and the route that involves the fewest transfers. it will list each stop along the route and the approximate time of the journey. If you click on another icon it will provide a list of every tram, metro and bus line. Click on the line and each stop is listed. It's also time sensitve. If you seek a route after the trams have shut down it will only return the night buses (if you're coming from another time zone, make sure to reset the clock on the PDA). I've used it in London, Paris, Rome, Amsterdam, New York and Chicago and it's flawless. It's updated frequently and if you sign up for their mailing list, you get an e-mail whenever there's an update. It's all free (not even any ads) and it's brilliant.
Re: Wonderful Tram Software for PDA's
Posted: 2005-05-13, 6:36 am

Oldster
Or one could walk from Leidseplein to Albert Cuypstraat. I'm not a Luddite but still, sometimes...
Enjoy, Oldster
Posted: 2005-05-14, 1:40 am

popemadmitch
Theres a PalmOS program called 'Tube' kicking about too,
it has downloadable maps, but you get actual graphical maps,
yet can still do the auto-route style direction finding for you.

I have the amsterdam streetmap and tube/tram map loaded in mine, you can ask it to show you where a given tram stop is on the streetmap etc and it can graphically trace the route for you to take.

Although that said, im not daft enough to wave expensive electronic gear about on public transport, as i would still like it to be there when i leave :)
Posted: 2005-05-15, 2:24 am

WoofieeSupporting Member
Supporting Member
I run it on my P800, and I've never had a problem. Then again, I scowl pretty well.

Metro is a great app - It has saved the day touring Paris more times than I care to think..
Posted: 2005-05-18, 2:31 am

buark
I loaded some software into my PDA from this site:

http://www.mapopolis.com/

I has detailed maps for all of Western Europe (including the Netherlands).
The level of detail is really amazing. One aspect of the program I like
is the fact you can simply type in an address and the software will pinpoint
the exact location on the map. It can then be stored as a "landmark".
While it does not have any metro or tram information, it is still some of
the best travel PDA software I've ever used.
Posted: 2005-05-19, 8:54 am

osb
Hmmmm, found metro (yeah kinda handy programm) on the palmOS site and on tucows.com. As said not bad
 [ 6 posts ] 

Jump to: