Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 33 posts ]  Previous  1, 2
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Re: Best place for a good old English Breakfast
Posted: 2005-07-26, 1:37 am

ChokDi
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Don't knock it 'til you've tried it!

Chok DI

PS And yes, I HAVE eaten American breakfasts, in the US and other places. I'll take pig's blood over spuds any day!

Posted: 2005-07-26, 1:51 am

burgerbhoySupporting Member
Supporting Member
dirty nellys does a good breakfast menu, opens at 9am because they have a b&b there as well, close to the rld and they serve beer to!
Posted: 2005-07-26, 8:26 am

WoofieeSupporting Member
Supporting Member
> Don't knock it until you've tried it!

I **HAVE** tried it - and, to be polite, it's not for me. To be impolite, it's FERAL! I'm OK with the oatmeal - love a good rough-cut oatmeal - but you lose me with the blood and the suet. A half-pound of suet...

Quick! Pass me a fruit smoothie...I need an antidote!

Still, to each his own - if we're at breakfast together sometime, you can have my blood pudding and tomato..
Posted: 2005-08-04, 6:50 am

losfor
He wants to know where he can get a good English breakfast. I don't know, i just wanna comment on a good breakfast. I have relatives from England and i live in United States. So i'm a well rounded breakfast expert. Give me eggs, bacon, toast and orange juice. If you wanna fr;y some tomatoes, mushrooms, and onions. Fine with me. I prefer that in an omelette.
But i'll take some pancakes, french toast, or some Waffles with some thick maple syrup. Sausage is nice. Hell, go to Mc Donalds, at least you will get all the ingredients. A biscuit with some grape jelly. I'm not even high, in fact i've quit smoking for a while. Just look for a good breakfast. English style food isn't very good. But i guess that beats a continental breakfast with a hard boiled egg and a piece of toast, and maybe some orange juice.
Posted: 2005-08-18, 8:07 pm

twisel
does anyone know what is in a dutch breakfast?? Is it like a german breakfast??

which is bizarely very similar to their evening meal starting with muesli, then going onto fruit compots with yogurt, heavy bread, liking of the rye and black breads they have with multiple cheese's and salami's/hams.... dunno but i do remember the yogurts and fruit compots vividly when traveling europe as a kid and living in germany.... ok i seriously dislike german bread... too heavy... french bread's tasty but there's not usually enough of it there... and as for american bread.... toooo sweet by far!! British bread is by far the best or maybe it was just the way i was brought up??

Traditionally the great english breakfast was served at 11am...

Right, now for the definitive Old English breakfast... according to constance spry (first published 1956).. anyone who wants to argue better have a MRS BEATONS (1865??) handy to back them up....

Tea
Grilled Bacon (arranged so that the fat of one rasher is over the lean of the next)
Eggs boiled, scrambled, poached or fried (fried eggs should not be put directly into hot fat but basted)
Mushrooms; should be sauted with butter NOT bacon fat; Or grilled
Fried bread (Either dipped in bacon fat from the grill and toasted or with each side dipped quickly into water before frying without allowing the bread to soak)
grilled kidneys
Kippers
finnan-haddock (flaked with cream if served with toast)
kedgeree
fishcakes
fried savory drop scones
fresh fruit
Baked apples
stewed fruit <<< Yes I know everyone, tomato is a fruit too!!)
orange, grapefruit & tomato juice
toast
brown bread
hot rolls
crumpets which may be served with egg
fried prunes
fried desert apple sprinkled with brown sugar
cerals
and porridge

for occaisions when breakfast is a gathering or formal:-
cold game, in particular grouse
a fine york ham
glazed tongue

It then goes on for a page and a half on how to make coffee properly

This is where the expression "An Englishman can survive on his breakfast" comes from.

Now I'm really hungry.....

Oh yeah the original thread.... think i once had a breakfast in one of the irish bars... filled a hole, wasn't bad/expensive but also nothing to write home about. Hey I could of eaten anything that week!!
Posted: 2005-08-18, 8:50 pm

madeyes
"O'Donnels on Heinekenplein (Pijp) does the best English breakfast imo. It's 9 EUR which is reasonable especially compared to prices around the touristy parts. Don't buy a breakfast anwywhere in Leidesplein."

An English breakfast in an Irish bar, how quaint.

Posted: 2005-09-01, 1:23 am

CalicoJack
Hoot!

I remember my first "full english" (sic.) in the 'Dam. I can't remember the name of the place, but regulars I'm sure will recognise it - something along the lines of "Bubbles!" or "Balloons!" sounds about right.

The bar advertised a full english. It said so on the board outside. There were also lots of lovely waitresses in tight t-shirts and orange hotpants, so it seemed like a really good idea at the time.

Said breakfast was technically correct, but obviously made (with great care) by someone who has only ever read a brief description of the Full English Breakfast, but never actually seen one.

To use the definitive list as above:

Bacon (Note 1)
Breakfast sausage (Note 2)
Black pudding (Note 3)
Mushrooms (Note 4)
FRESH tomatoes (Note 5)
Eggs (Note 6)
And I'd like to add Beans to this list for the purposes of this post (Note 7)

1. Yes. But that streaky belly stuff we don't like. 2 rashers of rather anaemic crispy stuff.
2. Sausage, yes. But a long thin lonely frankfurter.
3. I asked, and got a funny look. "No, I don't think we have that."
4. Tinned, button mushrooms - the tiny slick ones that seem skilled in fork avoidance.
5. Yes. Uncooked, whole tomato.
6. Scrambled, and solidly so. I'm pretty sure it was egg at some point before it went into the kiln.
7. Red Kidney Beans, cold, served in a little seperate glass bowl.

I can live without the FEB, which was probably for the best!
Posted: 2005-09-01, 11:50 am

tw25rw Power Kat
The tomatoes and beans are really for those who are weight conscious (read women), men with heart problems and vegetarians.

Normal people don't eat them and stick to the healthy egg, sausage and bacon with a fried slice and a cup of tea.

Posted: 2005-09-01, 11:53 am

tw25rw Power Kat
if you're on a student budget, why are your staying at the Victoria anyway?? There are tons of €60 a night places about.

Posted: 2005-09-01, 1:26 pm

dwj
I've tried lots of different places in Amsterdam purporting to do a decent breakfast.

Barneys used to do a good breakfast but I stopped going there due to the fuck off and die attitude of the staff.

These days I head into Amnesia for opening time, get a decent coffee and a couple of space cakes followed by a big fat spliff of Diesel.......Breakfast of Champions.

Dave
Posted: 2005-09-02, 12:22 am

JohnnyGuilder
Now thats what I'm talking about..
Posted: 2005-09-04, 12:13 am

iloveamsterdam
pink floyd coffeeshop..
good english fry up
great friendly staff
cheap quality weed
good music
just down the road from barneys..man,that place now sucks!
Posted: 2005-09-04, 2:31 am

tw25rw Power Kat
I got a room at the Winston - midweek - in October for €50 a night.. with shower and toilet..

Not as nice as the Victoria, but closer to the action.

[ 33 posts ]  Previous  1, 2

Jump to: