Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 33 posts ]  1, 2  Next
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Best place for a good old English Breakfast
Posted: 2005-07-24, 1:18 am

muhit2002
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Hello people,

Off to dame this month, and planning to stay at the Victoria hotel. The cost of breakfast at the hotel is something really silly like 20 – 25 euros.

Can anyone suggest a really good place for English breakfast?

Working with a tight student budget.

Thanks,

A.
Re: Best place for a good old English Breakfast
Posted: 2005-07-24, 2:17 am

luther vandross
I've heard a lot of chatter about the breakfast at Barney's coffeeshop, but have also read that maybe it's not what it once was. Haven't been there yet, so can't say either way, maybe others can clarify. Could be worse things than a wake and bake with breakfast, though.

Posted: 2005-07-24, 9:05 am

giarc
most if not all the irish bars do a breakfast , my favourite being the tara on rokin ( they let you smoke in there too ). barneys does get stick, in my experince it was expensive and i didnt even order one time after seeing the state of the chef at the smaller one on the corner once. but where else can you get breakfast and bong hits.
Posted: 2005-07-24, 10:51 am

madeyes
given that you will be in Holland, why not try a Dutch breakfast?

Posted: 2005-07-24, 3:23 pm

billybob69Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Nothing like lining the stomach with a greasy breakfast in preparation for a days drinking, smoking and mongering!

The best breakfast I've had in A'dam was at the The Globe Hostel - just a stones throw from the RLD - you should be to see their long blue 'Globe' sign from the Old Church.
I also had a good breakfast in a Dutch pub / restaurant in the middle of Leidseplein (sorry can't remember the name).
Posted: 2005-07-24, 7:21 pm

Boaby
Last time I was over The Highlander did a good fry up and a beer for 8 euros. Nothing better than grease washed down with beer to set you up for the day and send you into the RLD with your arteries fair clanging.
Posted: 2005-07-24, 7:48 pm

neurosynthPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
You know the old joke is "America and England...two peoples separated by a common language".

I think we are separated by breakfast! Stewed tomatos and baked beans for breakfast?

ewww ewww ewww!
Posted: 2005-07-24, 11:32 pm

ChokDi
"Stewed tomatos and baked beans for breakfast? ewww ewww ewww!"

I take it you've never had an English Breakfast, then? Or is that what they eat in the colonies?

Chok Di

Posted: 2005-07-25, 12:01 am

WoofieeSupporting Member
Supporting Member
That IS what an English breakfast has... now, I can get with the eggs, sausages, bacon, beans and toast, but the tomatoes? Nah. And where are the good old taters?

You want an American breakfast? 3 eggs, bacon or sausage, risen biscuits or toast (or maybe sausage gravy on the biscuits, yum!), hash browns or a side flapjacks and syrup, an unending cup of coffee and a huge orange juice. Not some dinky glass like you get here - something you're afraid you'll break if you touch it. No - I mean big - deep, like with an undertow.

Denny's breakfasts rule, especially at 3am. Le Peep's even better (if healthier, sorry to say).
Posted: 2005-07-25, 12:10 am

neurosynthPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
Well, when I stayed at the Tavistock Hotel in London, where a lot of British businessmen stay and so I assume it's an English breakfast being served up at 7 a.m., they had baked beans and stewed tomatos. Other places claiming an English Breakfast have had it too. A friend of mine (who's a Scot, but has lived in London for some time) who should know confirms same.

I mean...there *is* other stuff...but the dredded baked beans and stewed tomatoes tend to make an appearance on the buffet with an appalling frequency!
Posted: 2005-07-25, 12:14 am

neurosynthPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
Hey Woofiee don't get me started!

Do you remember the first time you ordered a Coke and they brought you a bottle that looked like it was a doll house accessory?

(to be fair, more so on the continent than in the UK...)
Posted: 2005-07-25, 12:28 am

WoofieeSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Oh man, when I land in the US, the first thing I do is get a big-ass drive-through burger (In and Out are tops) and a huge drink...and it cost just about what I paid for a small bottle of diet coke at the movies last night. 2 euros-60! For a stinking single-serving Coke!? I complained and they didn't flinch. "It's for the service".

I'll give them the service - Pow! Zoom! To the Moon!
Posted: 2005-07-25, 12:31 am

WoofieeSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Neurosynth:
> I mean...there *is* other stuff...but the dredded baked beans and stewed tomatoes tend to make
> an appearance on the buffet with an appalling frequency!

And you can get the whole thing in a can from Heinz, no less! Awful...I had some mates try to convince me to down it - likely a gag, which is what I nearly did.
Posted: 2005-07-25, 12:40 am

ChokDi
Your REAL English breakast consists of

Bacon (Note 1)
Breakfast sausage (Note 2)
Black pudding (Note 3)
Mushrooms
FRESH tomatoes
Eggs

All of the above are FRIED not grilled - preferably in butter or pork fat - and then a slice of bread is fried in the same pan to absorb the remaining fat and served with the meal. No beans, and DEFINITELY no stewed tomatoes!

If you are now remarking on the emphasis on fat and thinking, "heart attack on a plate," you're right; the proper English breakfast, like its cousin the continental farmer's breakfast (Note 4), should be an occasional treat unless you are a farm labourer who is going to burn off all that fat with ten hours of hard physical work before dinner!

Potatoes for BREAKFAST!?!?!?!?! Disgusting habit!

Chok Di

NOTES:
1. That's European bacon, which is made from the back of the pig, in thick rashers, not those nasty thin slivers of streaky belly bacon you get in the US.
2. Breakfast sausage is made from meat mixed with breadcrumbs to absorb the juices from the meat. That emphasis on fat again.
3. In deference to your delicate stomach, I won't tell you what goes into black pudding. But its lovely!
4. I have a friend who is half german, with kin who own a farm in Germany. His description of what is served to the workers for breakfast is much more in line with an English breakfast than some Health Nazi's concept of a "Continental Breakfast"!

Posted: 2005-07-25, 12:54 am

Boaby
It's fried tomatoes, who's going to get the pan hot for all that sausage, bacon, and egg then start stewing bloody tomatoes. However I'm with you on the ewww factor, beyond vile. The beans are a new addition but they are used because the establishment needs to bulk up the plate and are too cheap to get black or white pudding or add an extra sausage, the cheap Sob’s. Travel in GB and you'll meet the breakfat, sorry breakfast in all its guises with Scottish, English, Welsh and Irish, all meaning bacon sausage and egg in varying proportions and with co-stars of black or white pudding, maybe toast, fried bread or, up here, fried tattie scone.
True traditional Scottish breakfast is, of course, a kipper, half a bottle of whisky and an Andy Stewart song.
Posted: 2005-07-25, 6:10 am

JaimeSupporting Member
Supporting Member
There is a place right across the street from Crowne Paza City Centre......................nice place, good food, don t remember the name. Very friendly, and not expensive
Posted: 2005-07-25, 12:36 pm

DELETED
DELETED
Posted: 2005-07-25, 5:39 pm

neurosynthPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
ChokDi, I've no problem with the eggs sausage and so on. It's not really that different than an American farm style breakfast. Mushrooms? Well...maybe in an omelette!

Is black pudding a blood pudding variant?

Using "the whole hog" is an American tradition too. Back when the Chicago stockyards were the #1 meat processing factory in the US the saying was "they use every bit of the pig but the squeal".

Also there are fried tomato variants over here too...the fabled "fried green tomatos" involve breading and pan frying I believe. The breading soaks up the cooking grease. But it's more of a lunch thing I think.
Posted: 2005-07-25, 6:36 pm

ChokDi
The mushrooms and tomatoes are for contrast with the meat . . . it goes pretty well.

Black pudding ingredients:
1 quart pig's blood
1 quart milk
three quarters pound bread crumbs
1 cup cooked barley
a half pound suet
1 cup dry oatmeal
salt and pepper to taste
1 ounce powdered mint

(That's a Geordie recipe - there are probably thousands of regional variations)

Chok Di

Posted: 2005-07-26, 1:26 am

luther vandross
"Black pudding ingredients:
1 quart pig's blood "

...and you're dissing potatoes for breakfast? Get real, mate!

[ 33 posts ]  1, 2  Next

Jump to: