Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 7 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
should I move to Amsterdam?
Posted: 2005-08-23, 3:00 pm

paniked Power Kat
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
...the question is a rhetorical one for me; I'm not seeking answers from the gallery

but as it's a question that gets posed here for various reasons, I thought it would be worth sharing just this ongoing diary from Slate.com:
http://slate.msn.com/id/2124561/entry/2124562/

a.u.b.
-paniked

Posted: 2005-08-24, 4:39 am

luther vandross
I am moving to Amsterdam. I will touch down at Schiphol on Monday, God willing. I'll try to serve the board with some valuable smoking intel, among other things. Won't be much help with the "ins and outs" (okay, that was bad) of the RLD, as that isn't really my scene, but I will offer any helpful info I come across.
Geez, I'm sitting here at some wing joint in the midwest, thinking about Monday and I have amazed myself. I can't believe I pulled this off!

LVD

Posted: 2005-08-24, 7:36 am

abc123Power Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
There's a book, My 'Dam Life, by Sean Condon that people might enjoy. It's not particularly well written, but it's the true story of an Australian who's wife gets a job in A'dam. His tales of adjusting to Dutch life and dealing with what appears to be an absolutely out of control bureaucracy are pretty entertaining.
Re: should I move to Amsterdam?
Posted: 2005-08-25, 4:27 am

luther vandross
abc,
I'm reading it right now. He strikes me as a Dave Barry type humorist and I find him entertaining . What I like about it is that he doesn't get caught up in the Amsterdam as Gomorrah cliche, but writes about life in general. I don't know if I will write a book about my stay in Amsterdam, but I hope to at least live one.

Posted: 2005-09-04, 12:46 am

axxxtw Founder
We finally stumbled across this series in Slate, and remembered this post by Paniked, so we read the series. It's pathetic to see much of the predictable smug condescension, even though in some cases the intention is to be complimentary (a compliment wrapped in condescension)---and plain outright rubbish---the last paragraph of the following. Needless to say, this strikes a nerve with yours truly. We all know that there are ladies who do fit the description---but to provide the following, whilst ignoring the majority of women who are quite otherwise, perpetuates the widely held perception, endlessly repeated by the media, that the place is inhabited solely by scabby nasty toothless pockmarked creatures dripping with disease. I despise journalists of this sort---apparently the majority. They all smell like ass.

----

7: Hookers

Speaking of which, I suppose I should address the hooker issue.

I can give you no first-hand accounts. My girlfriend would not be coolio with that. Frankly, I would not be coolio with that, either, girlfriend or no. Paying for sex seems rather icky.

With your interests in mind, though, reader, I tried to enlist a few single guy friends as surrogate reporters. I was hoping one of these dudes might be willing to indulge in some red-light shenanigans. But I found no takers. What a bunch of nerds my friends are.

So, here's what I can say: Even if you never close the deal, it still puts a bit of a zing in your step when a stocky, pockmarked whore waves you over to her window, flashes a dun-toothed smile, and gives you her best bedroom eyes.

Maybe next time, you squat, sexy minx!

------

Ps: reading the forums we read this gem of a reply---the author of the Slate series and the nitwit who wrote this post actually have more in common than either realize..:

Subject: Liberals live in fog
Date: Aug 26 2005 6:12PM

Yeah, lets all fly off to Amsterdam so we can ride bikes, smoke weed and live a pretentious lifestyle because were oh so sophisticated, unlike these American bumpkins who elected Bush. Meanwhile it's these American bumpkins who are the ones doing the dirty work so these Euro trash "sophisticates" can enjoy their life of leisure.

Posted: 2005-09-05, 8:54 pm

Frans Hals
Yes, I saw the original series of articles in Slate and also thought that the quoted section was pretty pathetic, especially in that neither the author nor any of his aquaintances were prepared to give paid sex a try. In another section of that article not quoted here, the author dismisses out of hand the notion that paid sex could be fun or in any way enjoyable. I suspect that this is just pandering to what the author believes is the Slate readership. It certainly would be much more interesting to have a first hand account of a neophyte's impression of paid sex, or at the very least some conversations with some of the ladies. But then again, obviously our readership (people who read this board) is very interested in sexual experience, and quite possibly many people, including the author of these articles, are not particularly interested. Who is more healthy? Not any easy question.
Re: should I move to Amsterdam?
Posted: 2005-09-07, 9:01 pm

mentaloriental
ive got to say, i was very impressed and shocked when i saw the number of bikes. i loved the cleaner air unlike here in brooklyn or anywhere in/around nyc. plus the women are georgous beyong imagination...and i love that smoking freedom!

i don't know how cost of living is though. it seemed steep...then again i stayed mostly around dam square. and i wonder how working there is like...the kind of job i can get...its difficult enough here to get a good job! i hate my job thats another story though.

i wanted to move there before i even left schirpol airport =)

ill be back!

- tommy
 [ 7 posts ] 

Jump to: