Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 14 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Belgian Beer
Posted: 2005-09-21, 9:54 pm

abc123Power Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
I know a lot of you are Belgian beer fans. Today's New York Times had an interesting piece about Trappist Ale, http://tinyurl.com/c5jxz
Re: Belgian Beer
Posted: 2005-09-21, 10:07 pm

uberchef
Great article ABC, thanks for the heads-up!

I'm admittedly a lover of the Belgian brews and although I've never had much of a taste for the trappist variety (I'm a big fan of the Saison variety) I'm going to give them another try, starting at the top, with a Westmalle, per the article's suggestion!

I've been drinking an organic saison ale, Saison Dupont precisely, which I can heartily recommend to anyone who might be thirsty:

http://www.belgianexperts.com/Dupont.php

Chef's off to Whole Foods after work to pick up a little something cold to go with supper....!

~U.
Posted: 2005-09-21, 10:36 pm

Rainer
The one Belgium beer I've had was called Chimay. It was pretty good. Belgium is an odd place. The three things they do best are beer, chocolate and pomme frites. My take on that is that they know how to live well.

Posted: 2005-09-21, 11:02 pm

blondofil
I definetly agree, Chimay is a great beer. There are two different versions, one darker than the other.
Monks from Belgium makes the best beer in the world, but i also think that Newcastle Brown Ale is fantastic.
Posted: 2005-09-21, 11:20 pm

fallen_buddha
actually there are 3 different Chimay brews, the premiere, which is 8% dark in color and has a red label, the cinq cents which is basically a tripel with a white label and 8.5% content, and the grand reserve which is a blue label and a mighty 9% and also a darker brew. Belgian ales are a true passion of mine as well as cannabis, i make my own versions of the belgian abbey styles, as in the states they are prohibitively expensive. Gollem, In De Wildman, and cafe belgique all come to mind as places to enjoy the bounties of belgium.

peace-fb

Posted: 2005-09-21, 11:55 pm

Mr.Plug
Yes, fb, and lets not forget Bekeerde Suster, who serves up a mean Westmalle dubbel, as well as other assorted goodies.
Posted: 2005-09-22, 3:29 pm

Rainer
I have seen about 4-5 different versions of Chimay. I haven't tried them all, but I suspect that they are all good. As for Newcastle, I too think it is excellent. Odd, isn't it though, that the Thyme River (? spelling) is supposed to be the most polluted in England. I wonder how much that impacts the taste of Newcastle.

My favorite beer is the Amstel that you get in Holland (as opposed to the Amstel light that they sell in the USA), but I can drink just about any beer you serve me and be happy.

Posted: 2005-09-22, 4:43 pm

Joehorse
I saw advertising yesterday for a new beer here in NYC:
Heineken Light
I'm sure it ain't over in A-Dam
Posted: 2005-09-22, 9:09 pm

madeyes
in Amsterdam also try www.arendsnest.nl at 90 Herengracht, they have some top quality Dutch beers which are every bit as good as the Belgians.

and, if in Brussels, try this place: www.deliriumcafe.be

Posted: 2005-09-23, 5:57 pm

uberchef
My perennial recommendation for beer-lovers when in Amsterdam is of course, a visit to the Brouwerij Het Ij at the De Gooyer Windmill:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~patto1ro/hetij.htm

Now, drink.
~uber.
Posted: 2005-09-23, 7:44 pm

DesertFox
Gentlemen -

Great stuff from all of you. I have had my mind on the Belgian brews quite a lot recently, as my "supplier" (who commutes from his home in Brussels weekly) just made a run for me last weekend, so my fridge is full. I had Chimay blue last night and tonight I think it'll be some Rochefort or Westmalle.

I frequent the Cafe Belgique (on Gravenstraat, just off the Nieuwendijk) when in town, which although quite small, has a tremendous selection. Last time I was there, the owner let me try a bottle of Westvleteren, which can only be purchased at the monastery, and thus was in very limited supply. I think it is worth a trip to west Flanders to get some more!

I also have been to In den Wildeman a few times, which boasts a large rotating selection on tap. I also like Het Elfde Gebot, near the end of Zeedijk, close to the Centraal Station. They also serve food and play nice music.

I have had some great seasonal/specialty beers from t'Ij and I must visit the old windmill brewery during my next trip.

My favorite variety I have sampled thus far in my travels is Reinaert Grand Cru, which does a nice job of providing a flavorful, robust, unfiltered ale, without an astronomically-high alcohol content (I like to be able to drink more than 2-3 at a time). I have some difficulty finding it in bars and stores, so perhaps another brewery tour is in order . . .

There is a great little book called the "Serious Drinker's Guide to Amsterdam" written by a man named Hugh Shipman. It is available for sale at many bars. It is specifically oriented toward Belgian beer and has lots of useful information. When in town, I don't leave home without it. Well worth the small price.

I have seen information about a few upcoming beer festivals here in Europe (aside from the infamous ones in Munich and Stuttgart that I am visiting these next two weekends): Diksmuide, Belgium 22 and 29 OCT; Amsterdam (Oude Beurs) 28-30 OCT; Hasselt, Belgium 4-6 NOV; Sas van Gent, NL 4 and 11 NOV. Not sure how many I'll make it to, but I hope more than one!

Cheers to all!

-DF
Posted: 2005-09-23, 9:07 pm

DedalusPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
"I have seen information about a few upcoming beer festivals here in Europe (aside from the infamous ones in Munich and Stuttgart that I am visiting these next two weekends)"

I hope that whatever is left of you after those two weeks will be up for some Palace/World/Oase inspections. ;-)))

Prost!!!

Dedalus
Posted: 2005-09-23, 10:15 pm

madeyes
"I frequent the Cafe Belgique (on Gravenstraat, just off the Nieuwendijk) when in town, which although quite small, has a tremendous selection. Last time I was there, the owner let me try a bottle of Westvleteren, which can only be purchased at the monastery, and thus was in very limited supply. I think it is worth a trip to west Flanders to get some more! "

I hear that they have sold it all for this brewing season. The monks only make enough to ensure that the abbey has enough money to get by. Am told the yellow cap was the top beer in Europe this year, a fact only made known to me after I had passed up a chance to drink some, opting instead for the green cap.

Worth a call to the monastery prior to making the journey.

Posted: 2005-09-26, 8:35 pm

DesertFox
I am pleased to report that I survived my visit to the Wies'n this weekend, though Saturday night was a bit rough for me at the Hofbrau tent. Weather in Munich was absolutely gorgeous. Not a cloud in the sky on Sunday. My head was so cloudy on Saturday that I can only remember it being rather warm.

Thanks for the warning about the Westvleteren -- per the advice on their website, I intended to call first. There are other monasteries around . . .

Tune in next week for a report from the Canstatter Volksfest . . . and perhaps a stop at FKK-Haus.

-DF
 [ 14 posts ] 

Jump to: