Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 10 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Amsterdam Safety Question
Posted: 2005-10-06, 1:52 pm

m69
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Hi i'm going to a'dam in a couple of weeks and i hope you all can help?

Been twice before but as part of a large group, now going solo, and i was wondering how safe it is to wander around on my own.

Thinking of going to the RLD to 'partake' for the first time, is there a safer time to go e.g. in the daytime?

Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Re: Amsterdam Safety Question
Posted: 2005-10-06, 2:33 pm

Earthly1hereSupporting Member
Supporting Member
I have been in A'dam a bunch of times alone. You'll be just fine wondering around on your own, day or night. Take only enough money that you need for the excursion and be smart about the way you walk. Do not let yourself get surrounded by the pushers on the corners of the rld as they will try to get your attention and maybe reach in your pockets. Keep your money and valuables in your front pocket or better yet inside pocket of your coat. Even the alleys are ok to walk thru late at night as there are always people around. There are always police around and none of the pushers want any trouble. If you should run into a problem, just scream police, watch how fast they run away. If you do some homework on the device, you can plan for some really great action. The rld by the old church is where I've had the most fun, although it is a blast to wonder through the main strip as well. Remember, keep your eyes open, pockets closed and if anyone starts to bother you or sell you something, just ignore them and if they persist, say no. One last thing, if you smoke cigs, don't give them out to anyone as I've seen where people will pull them out to give away one and their pack gets snatched. I've traveled to many places and always feel very safe in A'dam. Hope this helps!!!!!
Posted: 2005-10-06, 8:39 pm

ignatbandit
solid advice, just mind your own business and look ahead of where you are going. ignore the pushers. i find it a little difficult because i get paranoid when stoned, but even i manage so you'll be fine.
Posted: 2005-10-07, 6:26 am

EdAmsterdam
I find it very easy and safe to get around the city stoned out of my mind, just plan ahead, don't look that stoned and appear as if You know exactly where you are going even if you don't.

If you get lost don't take out a map on the street go to a bar take a breather and regroup.

EdAmsterdam
Posted: 2005-10-07, 8:19 pm

dizbuster34
I've done a few solo trips over there. Just remember to keep aware where you're at, who's around & don't carry anymore than you think you might need while you're out & about. Amsterdam's a relatively safe city. Don't make yourself a target. Have fun.
Posted: 2005-10-28, 3:44 am

curiious
relax...city is very safe. never had a problem, people are always worried the first time they're in a city alone. after a while you'll probably get lost a bunch until you learn the city streets, but take a good map with you, you'll be fine. eventually, you won't need a map.
Posted: 2005-10-28, 4:23 pm

luther vandross
I have been visiting Amsterdam for 24 years and have had a couple of problems, but nothing serious. It is generally safe, but it is a big city with a lot of easy marks, so just use some healthy discretion. Pick pockets in busy tourist areas are probably your worst fear. The chance you will be shot in the face or raped have got to be almost nil.
Have fun, but be on your toes and don't be a sucker.

Posted: 2005-10-28, 11:48 pm

Raven
Got back from Ams. several weeks ago. No worries. Just take the advise from the fellow punters on this site and stay away from Damrack. Raven
Posted: 2005-10-29, 4:11 am

cyborg43Supporting Member
Supporting Member
I've been to A'dam 16 times over the past 11 years and will be back in paradise December 2.

I have always felt safe walking around the city. That's not to say that your safety or piece of mind comes without any effort on your part. You will invariably encounter the pushers as you cross each bridge in the RLD. I just keep walking and mind my own business. I avoid eye contact and march on as if they were invisible. You'll also encounter the beggars throughout the city.
Again, I just ingore them.

Prior to leaving on my trip, I make a couple photo-copies of my passport. I leave my real passport in the hotel safe and carry the copy with me throughout my stay. Having to visit your Consulate to acquire a new passport would be a real buzz-kill.

I generally hang out in the Wallen until around 2am. Things will start to thin out when Sexyland and the Sex Shops start to close, between 1am and 2 depending on the day of the week. I also look around to see how crowded the streets and steegs are. If punters are few and far between, its time for this Yank to call it a night.

About 5 years ago I spent some time with a lovely spinner-type in the corner room of the Covered Area, the room straight in front of the entrance. I was stoned prior to entering and remember smoking with the young lady before I left. I had been back on the prowl about 10 minutes later when I noticed my wallet was missing. I rushed back to the room in a complete panic only to find the curtain drawn. I hung out there about 25 minutes and the girl finally came out, dressed in her regular attire. I told her that I thought I had left my wallet in the room. She told me that she found it and was about to turn it into the "management". She returned it without incident. Although I don't keep my Euros in wallet, it did contain a credit card, ATM card and about $50. I don't think she lifted my wallet, rather I think it fell out of my pocket when I dropped my trousers.

Since that frightful moment, I have taken great care to make sure that my valuables are within view when I disrobe to feed my sexual jones. Some rooms have corridors or doors to adjoining rooms. I make sure that my gear is away from doors to minimize the risk of being a victim. I now take my time to double check that I have all my belongings prior to leaving. If you treat the lady right she'll have no problem with you taking an extra minute or two to get your act together.

Hope this helps
Posted: 2005-10-29, 11:03 pm

Cuckoo4wahoo
Very safe city in my opinion !!!
Just dont make eye contact with the pushers, tell them no if they persist, and keep walking......

In about 10 trips, the only problem I have ever had was at a bar in the RLD oudes area. Apparently one of the bartenders ( a big gay fella) took a liking to me and slipped something in my beer... It was probably the 2nd beer of the night for me, and I had only smoked a joint a couple hours earlier, and I'm certainly not a lightweight..., but I started feeling peculiar....
Only reason I was suspicious of the bartender, is becuase the guy followed me into the bathroom a couple times asking me if I was okay before I started feeling the effects..
I was so out of it, I took my first taxi ever in Amstedam and got back to the Rembrandplein area, passed out in my room with the help of my buddy, and woke up the next day feeling extremely groggy and disoriented. BUT feeling no pain in my bum!!!!
 [ 10 posts ] 

Jump to: