Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 13 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Romantic Two Day Getaway from Amsterdam - Suggestions?
Posted: 2005-10-15, 11:56 pm

RockyBeach
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
I will be in A'dam for 10 days with the GF and I am looking for suggestions on a good getaway trip for us to take. Ideally, we would be able to take a train (although we can drive), and ideally the traveling part would not take more the 3+/- hours from downtown. In terms of what we are looking for -- countryside, mountains or small village feel (no big cities like Paris or Prague); something to do outside the room such as hiking or sightseeing; a couple of good to decent places to eat...Not looking to spend a fortune but also willing to pay for quality.

Does anyone have any suggestions for us? If anyone has great suggestions that do not meet the above parameters, I am certainly willing to consider. Thanks for the help.
Re: Romantic Two Day Getaway from Amsterdam - Suggestions?
Posted: 2005-10-16, 12:40 am

Wim Admin
Amsterdam is "small town", Holland is "small country" , a trip to the mountains ? , for some wide horizons and pitoresque citycentre I suggest a train to Alkmaar or Haarlem, or even better, a Connexxion bus to Leeuwarden or Groningen .....
Posted: 2005-10-16, 2:15 am

Earthly1hereSupporting Member
Supporting Member
You may want to consider a trip to Maastricht! There is a lot of history there and you are close to both the Belgian and German border. You could visit both countries in 1 day. The shopping area in Maastricht is beautiful, the countryside is as well. There are many cool little stores and coffee shops as well. They have a huge boat that is a coffee shop by the name of Easy Going. Very cool place to see and hang. Great city to visit for a few days!!!!

Posted: 2005-10-16, 6:25 am

mrtin51
With 2 days at your disposal, I'd highly recommend making a trip to Bruges, in Belgium. It's a 3hr train to Brussels (worth a quick stop itself), and another 45min or so to Bruges. There are trains running about every hour as I recall, and it was a very affordable ticket. Compared to other small towns in The Netherlands that I've visited, it has alot more to see and do. Everything's still small scale sightseeing though. There's a couple places to rent bikes, and some nearby villages to bike to. Bruges gets crowded with day-tripping tourists in the day, but is beyond comparison at night. I walked around for hours my first night there. The food is pretty much can't miss, and more often it was off the charts.

All I can say is, after 4 intense days in Amsterdam, this place probably saved my sanity.

Mr. TIN
Posted: 2005-10-16, 11:36 am

RockyBeach
Thank you to all who offered suggestions. Certainly enough to allow me to start some research. Any further suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks - this board rocks.
Posted: 2005-10-16, 4:59 pm

luther vandross
I was just in the American Hotel Cafe yesterday and it is definitely a great place to unwind, have some coffee and cake or maybe even a traditional English Tea, which it appeared the folks at the next table were having. There is also a bar along the wall as you walk in. It definitely has that old world charm that we Yanks enjoy while were in Europe. Nice art deco interior. If you want to impress your girl, take her here.

Posted: 2005-10-16, 6:13 pm

banana61Supporting Member
Supporting Member
I often take visitors to Leiden or Delft for an alternative to Amsterdam. The former is about 45 mins from A'dam by train and the latter about an hour; both are good for a day walking around. In your case, I think I would recommend Leiden, there are several hotels and lots of restaurants so you could do it as an overnight trip. For the romantic in you, the botanic gardens are good.

Depending on the weather a trip on the canals through the countryside is nice. The preserved village and windmills at Zaanse Schans - not so far from A'dam - are good too. Hotel desk or the VVV (tourist info) can help with providers and transport.

For a really relaxing day I recommend a good sauna (eg http://www.saunadeco.nl/ in Amsterdam) but be warned this means nudity all round which you may not comfortable with. Personally, I find this a great way to chill out and the environment is non-sexual.
Posted: 2005-10-16, 8:39 pm

MikeDeHavillandSupporting Member
Supporting Member
The sauna on herengracht looks a superb way of relaxing on a freezing day in Amstrdam.

Prey tell more about this place. After FKK I have no fear of public nudity any more, which would have been a problem only six months ago.

The website mentions renting towels which implies you should maybe take your own, and sounds a little meanspiritedfrankly.

what are the meals like, and are people willing to chat / talk, is there plenty of places to relax, read and so on between saunas. How long would you typically spend there?

Regards,

Mike
Posted: 2005-10-16, 9:36 pm

tw25rw Power Kat
I went to Zaanse Schans last Tuesday with my friend.. I found it incredibly dull. Scenic, but dull. And the museum is the most depressing I've ever been to (not having been to Auschwitz yet). A big, modern (probably EU tax payer funded)building containing an exhibition about how crap life was for the people who lived out in the marshes operating windmills. And I usually like the cultural side.

Posted: 2005-10-17, 10:35 pm

Supporting Member
Mike

I learnt to enjoy (straight, single-sex) saunas in the Far East so was keen to carry on when I moved to NL. The fact that they are mixed & fully naked took a bit of getting over but I quickly adjusted and now really enjoy the non-sexual nudity. I live near The Hague so mostly go to places near there, have only been to Sauna Deco once, but it's a similar atmosphere. People don't seem to talk much and as a single man there (with lousy dutch) I don't try to change that - could be misunderstood. Meals tend to be basic; let's face it, who comes to NL for the cuisine? On a winter's day there is a great feeling walking outside (small garden area at SD and most other saunas) with steam coming off your body; just be ready for the fact that your manhood is in hiding. Towels or bathrobes are required in most of the relaxation areas. Most of the locals bring their own ("careful with their money" the dutch) but for me towel rental makes the whole visit easier. With a book or a magazine for the rest periods it's a great way to dodge the weather.

Take a deep breath and give it a go. If you are a first timer most places will give you a quick guided tour of the facilities.
Posted: 2005-10-17, 10:38 pm

Supporting Member
Zaanse Schans - didn't enjoy the place much myself but my mother seemed to like it so maybe Mrs Beach will too.
Romantic Two Day Getaway from Amsterdam - Suggestions?
Posted: 2005-10-18, 9:59 pm

Roland Power Kat
By car I'd do Luxembourg. By train or car Brugge (Bruges) or Brussels. Regards. Roland
Posted: 2005-10-19, 8:49 pm

Texan
My wife and I can vouch for the suggestion of Brugge. We did an overnight there from Amsterdam. Very romantic and beautiful city. We have also been to Sauna Deco. It is a very relaxing place. You will have a great time.
 [ 13 posts ] 

Jump to: