Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 7 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Where to get a SIM card in A'dam
Posted: 2005-10-20, 12:13 pm

RockyBeach
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
I am looking for a reputable (and economical) place to purchase a SIM card for use in Holland/Benelux when I arrive in a couple of weeks. I would like to figure out how to buy one prior to my arrival so that I have the phone number before I depart for A'dam -- and then pick it up when I arrive in A'dam.

Any suggestions?
Re: Where to get a SIM card in A'dam
Posted: 2005-10-20, 1:42 pm

AustonSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Here's a place that will send you a free sim card ahead of time. It's a UK phone number, but works perfectly in the Netherlands. You give them a credit card and simply pay for what you use. No commitment. No annual fee. No expiration.

I think their rates (for the above benefits) are rather reasonable, especially if you want to use the phone for basic "keepting in touch" activities. Their rates in the Netherlands are:
Incoming calls: $1.25/min
National calls: $1.25/min
Calls to the USA & Canada: $1.50/min
Calls to the UK: $1.50/min
Calls to other countries: $2.95/min
SMS text messages: $0.80/message

I got one from them last year for my travels and highly recommend them. They've also been written up in a number of travel publications, as you can read on the site.

http://www.mobalrental.com/gsm/sim.asp

Hope this helps.

- Auston
Posted: 2005-10-22, 12:38 am

StarrDluX
I assume you are from the US... Why not just use your regular US phone? Wrong type of network?

Posted: 2005-10-22, 1:02 pm

RockyBeach
Very little of the US has picked up on the GSM network...
Posted: 2005-10-22, 4:21 pm

banana61Supporting Member
Supporting Member
RockyBeach - If your phone is not GSM then changing SIM card won't do any good, you will need a different handset. Even if you have a GSM phone, watch that it is not locked to your current provider.

Assuming you have an unlocked phone then probably best value is buying a pay as you go SIM card from almost anywhere in NL. Only downside is you won't know the number before you travel - B61
Posted: 2005-10-22, 5:55 pm

vicgoo
Here,s a link to a site in the US to buy a Holland sim card www.cellularabroad.com

If your phone is locked which is probably the case if you bought it from a carrier(att,cingular,etc)and you have a Nokia,here,s a link for free unlocking software www.unlockme.co.uk/dct4free.html
If not Nokia just do a Google search -type in the brand of phone followed by(phone unlock)those will have a charge

Posted: 2005-10-22, 11:32 pm

StarrDluX
hrm.. i've traveled with two phones over (one Siemans & one Nokia) from AT&T and now Cingular with no problem... Sprint is the only one that I haven't been able to bring with because of the network thingie...

Always seemed to work better than popping in a prepaid SIM... I like having it for work/friends to contact us from home easily as well as having it for our European friends to already have the #.

[ 7 posts ] 

Jump to: