Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 7 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Walking Distance
Posted: 2005-10-23, 12:42 pm

igrowzmetrees
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
I love to walk around NY and have no problem walking for miles. My ? is how long would it take to walk from lets say Central Station to somewhere like Noon or Katsu, all the way down by like Vondelpark...also, how far is that in MILES please...i know every1 will say to just take the tram or grab a bike but more often then not i will prefer to walk from point A to point B...theres nuthin better then walking in some nice cold weather with a good coat and a couple of good blunts to keep you warm, in my opinion anyways...any1 else enjoy a good stroll while under the influence?

Posted: 2005-10-23, 3:01 pm

SunLover
Depends if you are strolling or walking with purpose. Most direct path or
zigs and zags. Figure about 45 - 60 minutes from CS to the Vondel Park area.
Amsterdam is very walkable, flat as a pancake, and easy to navigate.

SunLover
Re: Walking Distance
Posted: 2005-10-23, 3:50 pm

420 Power Kat
Some people will troll the "Walls" for an entire evening that would equal the walk time and distance to the Noon or Vondelpark areas. Heres a good itinerary.

Walk Damrak to Dam Square, take a left on Damstraat and stop at the Greenhouse Centrum
Go back down Damstraat to Kalvestraat and walk to the Spui and stop at the Dampkring.
Walk back along the Singel thru the Flower Market and head up Leidestraat towards the Leidseplein (Dont stop at Bulldog) Take a left on Stadouderskade and walk past the Rijksmuseum and take a left at the bridge (Nieuwe Spiegelstraat). Take third left(before Prinsengrachtt) and you will find the Noon about 200 meters to your left.

Takes about 1 hour with short smoking stops at the various Coffeshops, tram run-ins, near death experiences with Bikes,, and offcourse,, getting off the path!

Posted: 2005-10-23, 4:28 pm

Larry
As the crow flies it's 2.7 km or 1.7 miles from CS to the nearest part of the park. I think the previous walking times given are about right for a moderate speed walker.
Posted: 2005-10-26, 1:11 am

igrowzmetrees
pulled out the old mapquest and it said the funniest thing...1.65 miles from central to the noon in just about 7 minutes...guess whoever did that trip did it with his eyes closed and no intention of havin fun...i'm really surprised to see just how small Mokum is in a technical, size way...i'm pretty sure i wont even cover 60% of the town but thats just nuts how small it is...equipped with my Ipod and some nice road smoke i'll put some miles on my new kicks...

Posted: 2005-10-26, 3:05 pm

Joehorse
BTW, Mapquest sucks- it always adds miles/yards to any trip.
Posted: 2005-10-27, 9:44 pm

curiious
ha! yeah, I was just going to say take the #2 tram from Central Station headed south and you'll be at the northern tip of the vondelpark in about 10 minutes, or you could walk it in about 20 - 30 minutes. It's about 1.5 miles from Central station to the northern tip of the vondelpark on stadhouderskade to 2.3 miles or so to the southern tip of the vondelpark. There's a nice hotel right on the vondelpark, the Ramada on Koningsweg. If you stay you can take the tram downtown every 10 minutes or so and be at central in 10-15 minutes, or walk it cutting through vondelpark to the leiseplein, then across the canals to the rld and dam square in about 20-30 minutes.

Lot's of nice places along the way. But don't just head straight for Kudzu or Noon, there are lots of nice places in different parts of town, try Dutch Flowers, or Grey Area (Singel Canal), Ali babas (RLD), or Popeyes, Bluebirds, or Kadinsky's on Harlemmerstraat near Neuwendijk. Relax is a nice place just a block off Harleemerstraat south on Bindenorangje straat. Dutch Flowers is a small place, lots of locals but people behind the counter all speak english, and Relax is very local, often people working there only speak dutch. Much more interesting places than the huge very touristed places. And Barneys charges too much for breakfast. It's a great city for walking, but even if you walk 12 or 15 miles a day it's nice to learn how to use the trams so you can go from a hotel near vondelpark downtown to central quickly or out to Oosterpark or Westerpark easily without getting exhausted just from the walking. But it is also nice to just go for a long walk for the day and it doesn't matter how long it takes, have a smoke on the way and stopping anywhere that looks interesting.
 [ 7 posts ] 

Jump to: