Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 4 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
The Bulldog
Posted: 2005-10-25, 9:26 pm

jhereg
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
I have reservations to stay at the Bulldog in their dorms. has anyone been there? how is it?
i've heard sometimes there is action in the dorms. is this true?
just wanting to know what i should expect.
Thanks in advance
Re: The Bulldog
Posted: 2005-10-26, 2:23 am

curiious
"just wanting to know what i should expect."

The bulldog, huh? I guess you probably are staying at the one on Oudezijds Voorburgwal.

Well, you'll need a little currency in euros when you get there. So...While here in the center city square by the royal palace and the national monument you can go to any of the atm's or money exchange places and take a 5% loss on their currency exchange rate, still, better than the hotel's front desk or the airports. If you are not exchanging much money there's not much you can do but take the loss. Many have before you, these money changing stores are a massive industry there. Fees for travelers checks, currency conversion fees, unfavorable currency conversion ratios, even Visa will charge you a 5% currency conversion fee, most US banks charge 5-6% currency conversion fees, etc. Don't like losing that 5%? Take the loss or get yr cash to a kantonal bank in switzerland and change your currency there for best currency exchange ratio. DON'T change your money into euro at a US airport. Worst rate ever.

Getting there: Well you could do what 95% of tourists do and take a 50 Euro taxi from the airport to the hotel and then pay another 50 euro to have a taxi take you back to the airport when you're done. Or... save $50+ in your first hour in amsterdam by avoiding taxis. If flying in, you can get to central station by buying a train ticket from a help table inside Schipol airport for around 3 euro or so, and then going downstairs to catch the train from the station inside Schipol. Short trainride (15 minutes) and people can tell you which stop is yours but i think it's obvious and probably the first stop or the second. You can easily walk to the Bulldog from central station by walking up Damrak until you get to the square with the royal palace and the national monument. Then go down the street with the Hotel Krasnapolsky (huge, can't miss it) on the corner, and you should get to a canal in a block or so. Go left on the canal and it's a few blocks up on the left. Saves you taxi fare, and it's quite a scenic and short walk... and then you could take that money a few blocks north of Bulldog to oude kerk and spend it on dollebegijn straat. A much more sensible use for it.

"action in the dorms"?
no idea, but it is in the heart of the red light district...lots of nice girls in the neighborhood.

I suggest bringing a small locking briefcase you could fit in a locker and keep your plastic cards & passport inside the case inside one of the lockers at the hotel. Or when you get there consider upgrading from a dorm bed to a private room for 1. You can get a room for 1 for just a little less than any other hotel, worth considering.

I've been there, I didn't stay there, but I had a look around and saw the rooms. Most of their rooms are good if you have a group of friends you can all share a room, a lot of backpacker groups stay there. I think they have lockers with padlocks for what that's worth ... If you are by yourself, aren't bringing much worth stealing, or have a large group that can share a room it's ok. Nice location. I like hotel rooms with private bathrooms & in-room safes and if you look around you can find them for not much more than the bulldog charges for a private room for 1 (perhaps $10/night more.) But lots of people are happy there and you already have reservations so ... the bulldog is in the heart of the RLD, it's very central & can be easily reached with a short walk from central station, if you want to go out at night you are right in the heart of downtown.
Posted: 2005-10-26, 4:48 am

jhereg
Thanks for the advice. first part of the week i'll be in Denmark on business but ihave wed-fri in adam. hopefully it will be a good adventure. train sounds good quick and efficient.
Thanks again
Posted: 2005-10-31, 12:57 pm

zsdeadbaby
Hi folks.
Stayed at the Bulldog twice now, and both times seemed clean & secure.
Dorm action: not a chance, unless you're lucky (?) enough to meet someone in there. Not even sure if they have mixed dorms...
Don't fancy your chances of smuggling a girl in - staff on the desk 24hrs, and you need to flash a pass to get in.
On the upside, they're always open, allow smoking in the bar which also has pool & eurosport (usually) as well as aircon.
They're reasonably priced too, and right in the middle of things, the only problem is the breakfast runs 8 - 10 (from memory) and is a bit too soon.

While you're there, treat yourself: in the afternoon go out, turn left, walk up to the OudeKerk (church) then turn right over the canal. Just over the canal keep going straight on. About halfway along the 'alley' look to your right for a horny looking young brunette, with ample cleavage. If she winks, and is called Nadia get straight in there with cash akimbo.

Wanna go back now....

Enjoy
 [ 4 posts ] 

Jump to: