Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 7 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Budget grub and brew in the RLD?
Posted: 2005-10-31, 7:48 pm

Luther Head
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
I know we have a lot of heavy hitters on the board who don't have to worry too much about financial considerations when in Mokum and good for them. I still hope that I may be one of them one fine day. But just as many of us have to watch our euros, so with that in mind, I'd like to get a thread going about cheap eats and brew.
My offering for food is a Chinese buffet on the Zeedijk called the Dim Sum. It is about 75-100 metres on the right side as you walk from de Waag. It's all you can eat for 7.50. It's best to go at a time when they are well-stocked (today at 2pm seemed to be a good time) and it is a tad on the greasy side, but you sure can fill your belly for very little money. They also have a lot of varieties of dumplings.
Before or after that, depending on your preference, head over to the Hill Street Blues Bar on Warmoestraat for a smoke and some cheap pints. The normal price is 2.90, but between 6-9pm every night they have Happy Hour and a pint is 2.30. I'm sure other bars in the RLD have Happy Hours and if you know of them and the hours, please let us know.
An other new find for me is CoCo's on Haarlemerstraat, as you walk out to Barney's. They offer pints of Grolsch in frosted mugs for 2.30 between 5-6pm and 9-10pm. They also offer all you can eat ribs for I think 13.50, but I can't speak to how good they are. They also have a pool table upstairs.
Any other suggestions?
Re: Budget grub and brew in the RLD?
Posted: 2005-10-31, 8:52 pm

ignatbandit
I could live on wholesome FEBO! They even have delicious items for 50 cents!

If anyone is strapped for cash, head for FEBO. They will welcome with open arms!

Even a branch in the RLD!
Posted: 2005-10-31, 9:25 pm

freakpa
Febo raised their prices on krokets from 1E to 1.25E. Still not bad for those addictive buggers.
Posted: 2005-11-01, 1:03 am

dambuster2
Thanks for the tips. Was over in Mokum a couple of weeks back. I found it cheap compared to London, so I didn't have to resort to budget options most of the time. However, I hope to head over again in the New Year. After the Christmas/New Year costs, I'm sure I'll be on a tighter budget.

Apart from living of krokets and patates, Maoz felafels are a good deal and healthier for you, too. Never tried them over there, but I saw the prices were pretty good and you get free all you can eat salad with it. Found a couple of Indonesian takeaways/snack bars. One on Nieuwmarkt had curry broodjes for around 2.75. Ok, not in the RLD, but there's another Indonesian takeaway on Prinsengracht, Jordaan, just down from Noordermarkt. They did a lunchtime special of two curries and rice for around 4.50 I think.

Back around the RLD, I liked the look of a Surinamese Chinese restaurant on Zeedijk I think. Prices looked reasonable, but that wasn't what attracted me to it. Never tried Surinamese food before. However, I never got around to trying this cuisine. Will be sure to on my next trip. Anyone can give me any pointers of what sort of food it is ? I'm very familiar with Caribbean cuisine, but Surinamese Chinese sounds like fusion food.

Anyone know of any budget Thai or Indian places ?
Posted: 2005-11-01, 3:31 am

StarrDluX
i like falafel.

i am drunk.

falafel would be yummy.

Posted: 2005-11-01, 3:45 am

curiious
Enzo's is a soup place that has 25 or so varieties of soup available every week, on Kerkstraat. 5 Euro is enough soup for 2 people and comes with a couple different bread rolls. I ate there all the time, it's delicious, and every day they have another 3 or 4 new soups up, I probably tried 40+ different types of soups there. Nice on a cold day to pick up some hot soup and eat it on a bench about a block away, sitting and looking at the canal.
If you are headed to Enzos, it's only a few blocks away from that Albert Hijn supermarket on the Singel Canal, but there's a larger better stocked one across the street from the royal palace. It's easy to buy groceries at Albert Hijn (fill out that little card to get the plastic card and the cheaper prices for groceries. only takes a minute.) or pastries at various bakeries all over town or soup from enzos. quite affordable. Cheapest beer is (I think) a pint of amstel for 1,50 at dutch flowers on the singel canal.
Posted: 2005-11-01, 5:13 am

weasel9x9Supporting Member
Supporting Member
The food in CoCo's is very good. They serve a great rack of ribs. Menu of about a dozen choices for dinner. Very busy place, lots of Aussies. Saw one trade his rugby jersy for a shirt off a very hot woman--She stood right up on the table and peeled it off showing her healthy rack of ribs to the crowd! Gotta like guys who can talk women out of their clothing!

Weasel

[ 7 posts ] 

Jump to: