Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 4 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
TAXI'S???
Posted: 2005-11-01, 12:16 am

stanno88
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
going 9-12 december first time for a cheeky weekend,
on this site theres a lot of stuff about taxi drivers charging you to visit a club, can i ask what its about because i dont understand it?

can you tell me what there is to worry about taxi drivers?

cheers

p.s
can you get almost anywhere on public transport? (trams, buses, trains) while speaking english
Re: TAXI'S???
Posted: 2005-11-01, 12:31 am

AustonSupporting Member
Supporting Member
stanno88 –

A few answers to your questions…if you ask a taxi driver to take you to certain clubs, the entry fee will be higher if the club pays the taxi service a kickback for each patron they bring. You can get around this by asking for a taxi to take you to a location nearby (such as a restaurant or hotel) and then walk from there to the club.

But, the trams are a great way to get just about anywhere, so that’s probably your best option. You can even get a tram map online ahead of time and plot your route using the address of the club via any online mapping service.

And speaking English won’t be a problem, as it seems it’s spoken by nearly everyone there. I’ve been there many times and never had a problem getting around very easily.

Enjoy your trip!

- Auston
Posted: 2005-11-01, 3:28 am

curiious
almost everybody (99%) speaks english.
take the train from basement of schipol to central station for around 3,50 Euro. Take the tram from central to your hotel, or just walk if it's close. Or take a taxi for 50 Euro.

Getting around town: I always liked walking, unless I just wanted to get somewhere quick, and then I'd take the tram, you can buy those big tram tickets at your hotel or central station that cost 6,50 Euro and are good for 10 trips or so across town.
Posted: 2005-11-11, 2:48 am

CalicoJack
My experience of taxis in the 'Dam is extremely positive. I've had some great rides (oo-er).

Most of the big roads in the 'Dam have a central tram track, a dual carriageway straddling it for regular vehicles, bordered by cycle lanes. The big silver Mercedes taxis seem to be the only vehicles allowed to use all three, sometimes simultaneously, at 50kph+!

I had a great taxi ride back to Schipol on my last-but-one trip. We ordered a taxi from the hotel, and around 15 minutes later a large black Merc screeched to a halt outside reception. A tall, elegeant, gorgeous thirtysomething woman unfolded herself from the drivers seat and sashayed into the reception area: "Taxi for airport?". She was stunning! It was a James Bond experience, hurtling down the A10 at 140kph whilst she chatted on her phone in one beautifully manicured hand, whilst she used the other one to swerve around the busy traffic.

Only in Amsterdam! I should have got her number for next time...
 [ 4 posts ] 

Jump to: