Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 4 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Costa Rica: The Promised Land?
Posted: 2007-12-02, 8:09 pm

steven
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Perhaps.

I spent the nights of November 16, 17, 18, 19, and 20 in San Jose Costa Rica. It was a sight to behold. "Working" is full on legal in this country and the dollar goes far....much like it did in Nederland prior to the implementation of the Euro.

There are several different scenes in Costa Rica, but for the purposes of this brief overview, I'll focus on Central San Jose.

Everything centers around the Blue Marlin Bar in the Hotel Del Rey. It's a clip joint to this seasoned fellow. San Jose can't hold a candle to Amsterdam, but it does have very civilized digs if you know where to look. This Blue Marlin Bar is overrun by arrogant and dollar waving Americans which is a major turn off. However, the ladies in this bar more than make up for the stupidity. If you can speak any Spanish at all, you're going to go far. Practice!

Getting to San Jose is easier than getting to Nederland and cheaper, I dare say. At issue is the reality it's not a good idea to be wandering around after dark in downtown San Jose. It just isn't. *shrug* Doesn't matter because so much "action" is centered in an area where you CAN walk about fairly safely.

The scene there is focused on this Blue Marlin and what we would call Prive Houses....although they are not. Ladies work independtly thru these houses, but it is not legal to "pimp" in Costa Rica so it's just business. These places are called "Massage Parlors." An example is New Fantasy or Zona Blue which were but two doors down from my hotel, Hemingway Inn. Total cost? UNDER $40 for full service and one hour and use of the sauana and steam room.

ANY night at the Blue Marlin Bar inside the Hotel Del Rey is a trip. Easily 6 girls to each man. You will hear "CIEN" which is $100 in English. Just like Amsterdam, it's a starting point. Don't pay it and be stupid.

There is so much more to write about Costa Rica I could go on for days. I don't want to take up too much space and if you want more data, simply ask and I shall supply. There is a website similar to ours for Costa Rica which I cannot provide until after I make a couple more posts. I expect you can google for costaricaticas. Forum reading and participating is no charge. The discount program they offer at a charge has some merit for that part of the world.

Anyway....Costa Rica IS an alternative for us budget guys in terms of lodging costs; air fare; taxi prices; and labor charges. It's not the same as Amsterdam, but there is plenty else to do there outside of San Jose for day trips or over nighters.

A very good place to start is at the Hemingway Inn which is where I stayed and was more than taken care of. Check them out at Hemingway Inn. Again, I cannot provide a link at this time. Google should assist.
Re: Costa Rica: The Promised Land?
Posted: 2007-12-11, 1:51 pm

paniked Power Kat
thanks, steven and welcome to the board! -- you join many of our members who are loyal fans of Costa Rica, would be good of you to add your personal perspective as the basics are pretty thoroughly covered here by 420, Trip and others...

-paniked

Posted: 2007-12-12, 6:07 am

420 Power Kat
Good overview of the downtown area. The clubs like Zona Blue and New Fantasy are bargains compared to Amsterdam and even German sauna clubs.

The ecological beauty of Costa Rica makes up for the lack of historic scenery (like Amsterdam).

Posted: 2007-12-21, 5:53 pm

pascullo
Liked the article, brought back some good memories....I agree that Costa Rica is a viable alternative to a trip to Europe right now. Until the Dollar is revived, Latin America can provide a good and reasonable source of entertainment.......

Pascullo....
 [ 4 posts ] 

Jump to: