Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 23 posts ]  1, 2  Next
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Mongering in India
Posted: 2006-12-07, 9:22 am

untiringlovable
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
I am a frequent traveller to India and in case anyone needs any info for SW scene in India, pls let me know.
Re: Mongering in India
Posted: 2006-12-08, 10:18 am

TripSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Is there a scene besides the SW ( streetwalker ) scene that is user friendly for the casual, English speaking " western " tourist ?

Could you give us a brief overview for Bombay and Calcuta ?

Thanks
Posted: 2006-12-08, 1:27 pm

withnail Power Kat
am i the only person who finds the expression 'mongering' repugnant?

withnail
Posted: 2006-12-08, 4:22 pm

neurosynthPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
My understanding is that HIV rates among sex workers in India is unusually high. But I've never been there or have direct experience. And, of course, it's good policy to act as if every non-monogamous sexual encounter is an HIV risk...regardless of location.

Withnail...you obviously have very good English language skills, but is it your first language? I wonder if this would explain your strong reactions to some rather mild phrases. In any case "monger" is a perfectly fine word. Also its use in this context is a bit odd because monger usually means a seller, but applied to commercial sex it's usually applied to the buyer.
Posted: 2006-12-08, 4:39 pm

withnail Power Kat
how did i know that you would appear here? qu'el surprise! wherever theres an argument to be had, eh?

withnail
mind your language
Posted: 2006-12-08, 5:39 pm

paniked Power Kat
neurosynth,

the primary definitions of "monger", from the Latin, mango meaning 'salesman':
Quote:
1. a person who is involved with something in a petty or contemptible way (usually used in combination): a gossipmonger

2. Chiefly British. a dealer in or trader of a commodity (usually used in combination): fishmonger.

the point is not the validity or appropriateness of the word itself in this context or any other, it is the choice of the word. personally I, too, find it crude and unrefined particularly when there are plenty of other terms that suffice (particularly when there is no content that has actually been offered publicly by the original poster). we here are not about contemptible behaviour, nor portraying what others may see as contemptible about RLD activities as such, therefore it would be welcome if people avoid reinforcing such stereotypes by using crass terms like this (the same reason why the former part of the combination term being referenced here is not permitted -- and you know what I mean).

please don't argue for the sake of it.

-paniked

Posted: 2006-12-08, 7:33 pm

Yooroo Monger
Uh-oh!

Why then, kindly chop off the back end of my user name.
Re: mind your language
Posted: 2006-12-08, 8:49 pm

COOTERSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Cooter < sitting in the corner being good..... :0)

Posted: 2006-12-09, 2:28 am

neurosynthPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
Withnail and Paniked,

I was trying to figure out why perfectly reasonable people (like us) would react so differently to a simple word. That's not an argument. It's trying to understand differences.

I still think English as a second language may have something to do with it.

(And please don't take that as a put down or something. It's not meant that way at all...especially since I know maybe 3 words of Dutch and freely admit my skills in any language other than English are weaker than weak!)

Or maybe it's a cultural difference. A typical American attitude is that free speech is inviolate, and If someone speaks in a "crude and unrefined" way there is no need to attack them for it. They have already publicly labeled themselves for what they are, and that is penalty enough.

Anyway, I do appreciate your hard work and good intentions in keeping ignatzmice.com the best board of its kind. Thanks!

Neurosynth
Posted: 2006-12-09, 6:32 am

Boaby
The word, in this context, is "whoremonger" so by withnail's (and the board's) already stated respect criteria perhaps he's right. With a firmer grasp on semantics as well.
Posted: 2006-12-09, 12:57 pm

TripSupporting Member
Supporting Member
The term mongering never quite floated my boat either- it does not capture the true spirit of what this lifestyle means to me. We often call it a hobby but it is more than a hobby to me. I don't quite like to call this behavior hunting either although it does encompass elements of hunting.

I am at a loss for a tidy synonym for the term mongering. Punter falls short too IMO.

Oh well, my simple mind will have to be content with the description " I make sexytime with window hostess. "

I suppose it is somewhat of a patient- provider theraputic encounter. Not all service providers provide satisfactory therapy. Even when one finds a proper therapist one must return again and again to benefit from the experience. The more therapy I get, the more I need.

Someone please give us a pleasant term to describe our behavior.

I am an addict, nurse- I need my medicine please.

Feel free to chime in on this thread as well as relate some info on the scene in various locations in India. I suppose we are all just playboys. Intercontinental Playboys.
Posted: 2006-12-09, 1:28 pm

fredSupporting Member
Supporting Member
"kindly chop off the back end of my user name."

YoMo, it's been done long time ago.

Regards,
Fred being proactive

P.S. You missed our gathering yesterday! Miss Alicia Silverstone might have gone home. I hope she'll return after the New Year to entertain us.
Posted: 2006-12-09, 1:41 pm

Wim Admin
Trip
The official Dutch expression still is 'hoerenloper' , of course used by women, but certainly also by men (television) who only suggest they score their sexual escapades in the çircuits which are considered as normal. Prostitution is almost a daily issue on any channel on TV.
Because it's interesting.
More official is 'Prostituant' , it's the direct approach, what's wrong with that ?
Punter (expression from the UK) , is 'find your luck by chance' , not bad.

Let's make it Playboy , you are right , but 'a playboy' is a qualification that women use to apply when they don't want to disqualify the person as a 'hoerenloper' .

cheers from Wim
( get that airfare and you'll be welcomed in Withnails 'Punters home' , we need to make the Belgian tour !)
Posted: 2006-12-09, 5:19 pm

skipexcaliburSupporting Member
Supporting Member
withnail,

I certainly agree with your sentiments regarding the term. It always seemed, to me, to sound degrading. I'm sure that with a little creativity folks could come up with a number of better adjectives, adverbs or clever phrases.

By the way, I think you do exceedingly well with your "second" language.

Cheers,

Skip
Posted: 2006-12-09, 5:41 pm

neurosynthPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
A common slang term stateside is "john".

An entirely sanitized phrase might be "commercial sex consumer".

"Hobby" and "hobbyst" always struck me as an indication of being in some kind of denial, but that's just my take on it.
Posted: 2006-12-09, 10:11 pm

Mr.Plug
Well, I've always liked the word "monger" for this hobby.

Yeah, it sounds a little degenerate and antisocial, but thats probably the way we (as mongers or mongerers) are perceived by society.

The word makes me feel like the dog that I am when I'm out hunting in the Wallen or Sukhumvit, or when being a sex maniac in the FKK clubs.

I'm proud to go "mongering" in a foreign country. No political correctness here for me!

withnail, you can be a punter
Trip, you can be a playboy / addict
Wim, you are a hoerenloper
neuro, you can be a john
paniked, you are a, um..... pot head! (:))

Me, I'm a monger!!! (ha ha)

-- Mr. Plug

p.s. - Trip - it sounds like you need to go on a "mongering" trip ASAP!!!
Posted: 2006-12-10, 11:52 am

TripSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Phuck it- it's all semantics. All the shoes and all the hats seem to fit proper.

God how I wish I was on tour at present.

Hi Mr. Plug, as always you are there to deliver a few pearls of wisdom. You and I must " monger " on a proper tour someday. Something with a bit of Asian persuasion or maybe a bit of Tica Time.

PS- Your PS observation could not be more accurate. Happy Holidays Plug, say hello to our amigo 420 when you see him.

Hello Wim,

With regret I must inform you that I will not be able to crash at Withnail's punter pad this NYE God knows if I could make it I would. A good friend of mine calls Texas his first sphere of influence and New Orleans his second sphere of influence. The same is true in my case. If it is possible for one to have a third sphere of influence than the NL. is officially my third sphere of influence. You gents carry on without me this NYE. I will miss " yall's " collective company.

PS- Wim, when next we meet I think we must fly the rocket towards the German border, I fancy a sauna. Hopefully Sabrina will come to her senses and return to the NL or Captain Trip will indeed be tempted to sail his ship into the Antwerp harbor.

Over and Out

PPS- Re: the term " Playboy " owner and publisher, Hugh Hefner, of Playboy Magazine wrote a multi- page article ( manifest ? ) on the Playboy Lifestyle- a mission statement of sorts. I am not sure what year he published this article, nor did I ever have a chance to read the article, wish I had access to the essay. For Hef, being a Playboy is about an attitude, philosophy, lifestyle as well as behavior. At it's core it is about freedom and fun and sexual spirit. I subscribe to this philosophy and lifestyle. When I grow up ( LOL ) and turn 80 years of age as Hef just did I want to be making sexytime with at least three different playboy bunnies. My bunnies will not look like Hef's bunnies but I am sure I will be jacked up on vitamin V.

Over and Out for real this time
Posted: 2006-12-11, 11:40 am

paniked Power Kat
Quote:
A typical American attitude is that free speech is inviolate, and If someone speaks in a "crude and unrefined" way there is no need to attack them for it.

all that was said was that we didn't like it and didn't care for it. full stop.

and English is most definitely my first language, so you can stop wondering about that now.

-paniked

Posted: 2007-01-16, 5:48 pm

Thaipan
Quote:
am i the only person who finds the expression 'mongering' repugnant?

withnail

Yes! I agree with you, it is a term that I have never liked. But will we ever get back to the topic of shagging :-) in India?

Posted: 2007-01-18, 8:08 pm

MikeDeHavillandSupporting Member
Supporting Member
As explained to me, that "whoremonger" is a wordplay on "warmonger", and yes we are both selling the idea of it, and involved in it in (by polite society standards, not our own enlightened standards) a "petty and contemptible way".

As a piece of reverse snobbery I quite like it.

I find "wife" and "inspections" thoroughly detestible however, but that's my taste.

I am actually here for some info on Mumbai as it happens, not an argument, so I will ask for the info at the end of the thread.

Ta.

Mike.
 [ 23 posts ]  1, 2  Next

Jump to: