Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
Post new topic  Board index » Miscellaneous » General Discussion / Off-Topic  Page 1 of 1
 [ 6 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
London 2012: Has it changed your opinion on the British people?
Posted: 2012-08-13, 7:01 pm

Gerrard 8
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Following the roaring success of the Olympics in London this year it's got me wondering whether the games have given people outside of the home nations a different view on British people?

Brits (and rightly so in some quarters) get bad press for their drunken behaviour abroad, football hooliganism and general disregard for their surroundings and the people who reside there. I have family in Amsterdam and talking to them, friends of theirs and just people in general dread the whole British stag do culture descending and causing no end of problems. People like my self have nothing to do with these morons but we seem to be tarred with the same brush. I personally think that the Olympics have shown the real mentality of Brits instead of these pockets of drunken stags/hooligans. The support for not just our own but every nationality who competed, whether they be German or Argentine, Bolt or Ennis. Our own media and I'm sure international media outlets included wrote off our chances of pulling off a flawless event, but we proved them wrong. It's the one, and maybe only, time that England, Scotland & Wales stuck together as one unit to give the world the greatest show on earth!

I hope it's only improved our reputation around the world and maybe, just maybe we can shed this stereotype image of pissed up hooligans and have proven we are much more about us than that!

Posted: 2012-08-13, 7:59 pm

Carice Liefde Power Kat
I think those JO have been a great success for the sport itself and for London reputation as well as english reputation. From where I am, I can tell you that some people (not everyone of course) in France are very jealous about how successfull those two weeks of competition were, fools they are I can say too. They are jealous not only in terms of organization, security, business development around and in sports, but also because Paris missed the whole organization of this big event. The criticism has raised before the games opened, but now it seems that it has slowed down, and it's better like that. Yes, London Olympic Games were just fantastic !

I was stunned by the spirit of the athletes themselves : I was very moved by Ennis medal gold as well as the performance of Clancy and his team. Andy Murray has also finally succeeded during his final at Wimbledon. Opening ceremony was huge, and the final yesterday was superb too. It gave a good image of the english people.

Generally I do not care where the Olympics take place, it can either in North America or in the South Africa or in Eastern Europe, the most important is to see athletes at their best. The rest can be political, one thing remains the same : athletes try to overcome their limits and most of the time they do it and it's a total entertainment.

Personnally I didn't have the image of hooligans, or it's not the main thing I was thinking about knowing London will organize this event, far from it. I was just certain London would be a very good place to be and see those games.
Re: London 2012: Has it changed your opinion on the British people?
Posted: 2012-08-14, 12:47 am

gezellig
Fair play LDN/Britain delivered a good games, which was let's face it totally unexpected given the lead up to it. And weighed in with a shed load of medals. So kudos for that.

But now it's all over I find it a bit embarrasing. Had the news on today and it's all "We've delivered the best ever games" and all that patting themselves/ourselves on the back. Just comes across as big headed. That's for other poeple/nations to say. Just my opinion.

But now it's like a credit card bill. We've had a good holiday, great memories and all, but now we got to pay for it...
Posted: 2012-08-21, 8:36 pm

lilji
When I've been abroad or backpacking I usualy play up the fact I'm Scottish and from Glasgow when I see people being a bit wary of me being British. It does seem to work.

however, I live in London, love England and usualy I play down my Scottishness as I hate the overly proud patriotism you find.I realy enjoyed being in amongst the olympic events tho and hopefully next time I'm in the dam I can say I'm a Londoner. without some suspicion :p
Posted: 2012-08-25, 4:37 pm

bauhaus
gezellig wrote:
But now it's like a credit card bill. We've had a good holiday, great memories and all, but now we got to pay for it...

Indeedy. I have to say that I overcame my cynicism to a certain degree, even though I didn't bother watching any of the ceremonies. None of it was overly embarrasing, put it that way, well apart from some of the African competitors absconding. It was good that the football matches were spread throughout the country as it meant that it wasn't just London that benefitted from the revenues. The same should have been done for a lot of the other sports, given that we will all be paying for it for decades to come.
Posted: 2012-08-30, 12:06 am

SVU18 Power Kat
Thought they did a brilliant job with the games.

But sometimes I wish the legal drinking age in Amsterdam was 30.. Those young lads from GB sort of take the place over. They don't hold their alcohol very well..

[ 6 posts ] 

Jump to: