Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 24 posts ]  1, 2  Next
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Ban on tourist purchases of weed?
Posted: 2010-01-22, 1:03 am

keithp
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Someone recently told Holland was placing a ban on purchases of weed by non-residents or non-citizens? Is this true?

Posted: 2010-01-22, 3:01 am

PlayItAgainSamSupporting Member
Supporting Member
It certainly wasn't true in late November/ early December.... I got blasted on Chocolope from Green Place, not to mention vaped a bunch of Amnesia Haze at Amnesia...
Re: Ban on tourist purchases of weed?
Posted: 2010-01-22, 11:07 am

jgramos Moderator
It was pretty much the same as PlayItAgainSam said 10 -- 14 days ago as well! ;-)

Peace

Posted: 2010-01-22, 4:44 pm

block
There is indeed some truth in it. The southern region around Maastricht passed some scheme last summer that would make coffeeshops in the area "members only" The plan was to have only Dutch citizens as members. They figured that by doing this it would eliminate folks from Belgium and Germany coming into town and thus becoming what they call "drug tourists" The scheme was supposed to take effect January 1 and I have not been able to confirm whether or not it is actually being enforced although I have heard that it is not. The mayor of Maastricht was the brilliant mind that thought this idea up and now I notice he was forced to resign a few days back because of a scandel.

I am not nearly as smart as former Mayor Leers but it sorta occurred to me that if they made coffeeshops into members only then it would force everything into a "black market"....but once again I catch myself and tell myself that politicians are probably the smartest people on earth and I am just a peon and I need to keep my thoughts to myself......Wished I were sitting at Hunters thinking about all this

Miles Davis
Posted: 2010-01-22, 5:11 pm

jgramos Moderator
With the way the laws were meant to be set in Maastricht, surely it was never going to work because people who couldn't prove they were locals would just go out of town to buy their weed.....and for those "drug tourists" from neighbouring countries, it wouldn't be too far out of their way to go to an area where they could buy weed!

Peace

Posted: 2010-01-22, 5:55 pm

block
I sure wished I could get a confirmation as to whether Maastricht has dropped this plan or not.

Miles Davis
Posted: 2010-01-22, 6:56 pm

jgramos Moderator
Me too....I'll try finding out through a few avenues. I'll post if I can find out.

Peace

Posted: 2010-01-22, 7:17 pm

block
Thanks...

Miles Davis
Posted: 2010-01-23, 2:35 am

Degenerate76
Quote:
The plan was to have only Dutch citizens as members. They figured that by doing this it would eliminate folks from Belgium and Germany coming into town and thus becoming what they call "drug tourists"

Totally contrary to EU law - they cannot discriminate in favour of locals against other EU citizens.
Posted: 2010-01-23, 1:50 pm

Thepacifist
I find it funny how a lot of Americans and people who've never been there keep telling me how tourists can't do this and that. It's not gonna happen to Amsterdam imo, if it ever did, that would be a very sad day. They'd lose so much money.

Posted: 2010-01-23, 3:36 pm

Royale_w_cheese
Quote:
I find it funny how a lot of Americans and people who've never been there keep telling me how tourists can't do this and that.

I come across people like that all the time. "oh the streets are littered with junkies that you have to walk over" or "the city is falling apart due to all druggies" ect,ect,ect....

My reply is always the same "So when were you last there? , oh you mean you've never been there!"

Some people are just sheep.
Posted: 2010-01-23, 4:18 pm

block
Although it is contrary to EU law the scheme was indeed in place and set to be implemented on January 1. The fact that it flies in the face of EU rules was discussed as well. Most folks on this board never visit Maastricht or the Limburg region for that matter but believe me there has been a plan to go Members only in Maastricht. This is not something some American thought he heard. This scheme was indeed real. To my knowledge there was never any talk of trying it in Amsterdam this was for the Limburg Region only. Any furthermore the last time I checked Bergan op Zoom (sp?) has shut down all their shops to combat the drug tourists I have not hear from my friends in that area in awhile but shops there closed their doors back in late summer so I am not sure what the status is in that area.

http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2 ... s_pass.php

Miles Davis
Posted: 2010-01-23, 5:21 pm

aldo
Quote:

"Totally contrary to EU law - they cannot discriminate in favour of locals against other EU citizens."

Oh really? Look, we are speaking about weed and not about normal goods.
Posted: 2010-01-23, 9:28 pm

block
As i recall the scheme was to create "members only" coffeeshops. Someone might have a better understanding but what I have read was by being a "members only" you would be required to obtain a membership and the process would take about two weeks. These memberships would indeed be open to other EU citizens as well as the Dutch. Under the members only scheme you would have to present your membership card and this would allow you to purchase up the 3 grams each day. Your card would be swiped upon purchasing your gear and indicate the amount of your purchase. If you left shop "A" and went to shop "B" and attempted to purchase another 3 grams the card swipe would alert the dealer that you had already reached your daily limit. Again,this has not been mentioned in the context with Amsterdams coffeeshops only the Limburg region in far south and I am not even sure that it is being enforced....still waiting on someone to visit Maastricht and give a first hand account.

Miles Davis
Posted: 2010-01-23, 10:31 pm

jgramos Moderator
Don't know too much about it block, but if they're going to limit each person to 3g per day, then the current allowance made by politie throughout Holland allowing you to carry 5 g's would be used in some districts but not maastricht, so if you were travelling fron one area of Holland to another, and went through Maastridht you'd be in trouble if you got stopped there!?

Peace

Posted: 2010-01-24, 8:30 am

Andreea19
They cannot discriminate in favour of Duch citizens against other EU citizens.
And if they do this is no waaayyy to track the sales of the coffeeshops.They will need
to make another department just for this :P hahaa
Posted: 2010-01-24, 1:43 pm

martineSupporting Member
Supporting Member
What might be possible, would be to limit the 'membership' of these coffee shops to people able to provide evidence of permanent local residence. Then there is no case of descrimination against people from different EU countries or anywhere else, as if people become local residents regardless of nationality, they can then avail of membership.
I can only imagine in Ireland or the UK if you could drive across a border to smoke weed, there would be convoys of boy-racers setting off every weekend on their road-trips...which needless to say would cause problems.
IMHO - this, if it ever comes to pass, will be limited to border areas to discourage casual cross-border weed tourism.
Posted: 2010-01-24, 2:01 pm

jgramos Moderator
Let's hope so Martine!

Peace

Posted: 2010-01-25, 4:14 pm

DogsAfirePower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
What, specifically, are the "problems" brought about by the "drug tourists"?

the dogs
Posted: 2010-01-25, 4:50 pm

jgramos Moderator
"What, specifically, are the "problems" brought about by the "drug tourists"?"

From my understanding of what I've read in different places and heard from locals when I've bene in the South of Holland, the "problems" brought by the "drug tourists" are as follows:

(1) Usually they go to several coffeeshops in a town and pick up 5g's in each coffeeshop.....therefore if they stop at 6 coffeeshops, they'll have 30g on themselves, and the law in the Netherlands is no more than 5g's. So if caught walking around with more than 5g's you're in trouble.

(2) The transportation of over 5g's of cannabis within the Netherlands is also illegal.

(3) The transportation of any amount of cannabis across the border of the Netherlands is drug smuggling.

However, surely the "drug toursists" are not a new thing......surely they've existed happily for years! If so, a law like this will dent the trade that the coffeeshops currently have, which may cause coffeeshop closures, unemployment, etc....which isn't any good for anyone!

Peace

[ 24 posts ]  1, 2  Next

Jump to: