Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
Post new topic  Board index » Amsterdam & Netherlands » Other Cities :: the Netherlands  Page 1 of 1
 [ 4 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Eindhoven and Utrecht station luggage lockers
Posted: 2007-03-08, 12:17 am

Mr Magoo
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
I got stuck with my luggage in Eindhoven last year because the brand new lockers at the station didnt accept any normal kind of money (cash, creditcard) - only some kind of local bank card. There was a Visa card option but it didnt work. No cash option at all. Station staff were mildly sympathetic but unable/unwilling to help.

There was no manned left-luggage facility, only the autmatic lockers.

Anybody know if:
1. Its (recently) possible to store luggage at Eindhoven without a local bank card
2. Same question about Utrecht (where I've never yet been)

Reason is... an opportunity is appearing for a short lay-over (pun intended) for 2-3 hours on a journey passing through either Utrecht or Eindhoven, but I'd need to stash the luggage before venturing out of the station.

I have searched around a fair bit, and there are probably other places I can ask about the lockers, but I'm hoping someone on here has firsthand knowledge.

My trips to or thru the Wonderful Netherlands are so few and brief these days that I need to plan carefully.

Thanks
Re: Eindhoven and Utrecht station luggage lockers
Posted: 2007-03-08, 2:05 am

Forza...Germania!
See PM.

Grtz,

Forza
Re: Eindhoven and Utrecht station luggage lockers
Posted: 2007-03-08, 12:14 pm

paniked Power Kat
those lockers (and things like public parking meters, some vending machines) use Chipknip -- if you have a credit or debit card that has an embedded chip (most cards are using chip-and-PINsecurity these days) you should be able to load money on to it. You may need to ask your bank how to do this because I don't think that chip upload machines are necessarily common everywhere (in NL they are usually near or next to the cash machine).

Whereas a transaction paid for by PIN must connect to the bank network to verify your payment (like a virtual cheque), the chip works just like a virtual cash wallet. The device (locker, parking meter, vending machine) reads the balance on the chip and, provided it is sufficient, debits the chip.

I didn't realize that all the dining facilities at my work were chip-only until I was standing in the queue with my food...cash was no good and no PIN facilities available, a bit of an embarassing lesson :)

u kunt chippen en pinnen!
-paniked

Posted: 2007-03-08, 2:04 pm

bomo
Quote from the NS website

"On many stations there are electronic luggage lockers in various sizes. These cost around Euro 4.00 onwards for 24 hours."

Given the size of Utrecht station I would imagine it must have - in front of the Burger King would be most likely (I spent a few weeks commuting into Bijlmer from the NH Utrecht last year).
Post new topic  Board index » Amsterdam & Netherlands » Other Cities :: the Netherlands  Page 1 of 1
 [ 4 posts ] 

Jump to: