Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 8 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Train transfer in Brussels
Posted: 2019-02-25, 4:39 am

weasel9x9Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
So, I'm not sure what happened, but the Thalays reservation that I have from Paris to Amsterdam this May is all screwed up. I now have to take the Thalays from Paris Nord to Brussels Midi, and change to an IC train for a three-hour crawl the rest of the way to Amsterdam.
I've never been to Brussels Midi.
How hard will it be to find the train to Amsterdam, and is it really a three-hour trip?
Can I drink on the IC train? I already feel like I need a drink.
Does the IC have WiFi? My shitty AT&T phone gets horrible data rates in the EU. Voice is OK, when the assholes bother to activate it, but data is universally crap. Without WiFi, i'm screwed.

Thanks,
Weasel. The guy talking into a tin can at the end of a string.

Posted: 2019-02-26, 2:49 am

Gustavus
I like to use the German Rail website (Sorry,I can't post to external links and had to delete the pointer) when researching rail travel. It is great for checking travel throughout Europe and not just for Germany. Punch in the date and time of your expected journey. Click on "Show Details" to see the train ID numbers and the platform numbers.

Brussels Midi (Brussels South Station) is large but well signed. It shouldn't be a problem to find your platform. On TripAdvisor there have been recent complaints about baggage theft at the 3 main Brussels stations. The victims mention that the police don't seem to care. I have no personal knowledge of the thefts, just thought I'd pass it along. Better forewarned and observant, than a victim.

You can certainly eat and drink on the trains. There might be a dining car with expensive food and beverages, but I always bring my own. Once, on a German train, I saw 4 people in a compartment having a candlelight dinner. It looked fun.

Three hours sounds about right. I've taken the trip from Amsterdam to Brussels and it always took longer than the trip in reverse. Dutch Rail had problems with their high-speed trains and so you had to take the slower trains and suffer through at least two changes.

No idea about wifi on the trains.
Re: Train transfer in Brussels
Posted: 2019-02-26, 4:30 am

Supporting Member
Gustavus,

Thank You very much.
Very useful.
I just realized that I am paying 50 Euro more for the privilege of my stop and switch in Brussels, and an additional two hours on the train. Brutal.

Weasel

Posted: 2019-02-27, 3:23 am

Eric
Weasel,

My guess, you're on this train:

https://www.nsinternational.nl/en/train ... y-brussels

Catering
Rail catering is present on board Intercity Brussels. You can purchase a limited range of hot and cold drinks and snacks. For meals, we refer you to the wide selection on offer at the stations.

Wifi
There is no Wifi on board Intercity Brussel.

I'd find a conductor and get and upgrade to 1st class, looks like about 20euro.

... Eric
Posted: 2019-02-28, 4:53 pm

splodge Power Kat
Brussels midi has a good set up. There's a large screen showing all the departures. Also an excellent food hall selling all sorts of different cuisines. Lots of dodgy characters about so keep your valuables secure. Always feels likes there's loads of pickpockets about.

The journey from Brussels to Amsterdam is about 2 hours I thought but it's been a while. Maybe slightly over two hours but i'll check. I think buying WiFi is an option but not sure about this either. Changing trains is usually an easy process at Brussels midi.

Posted: 2019-02-28, 4:57 pm

splodge Power Kat
I've drank on the trains through Belgium and Holland many times and never had a problem but drinking in the area outside train stations is not allowed. Whereas in Germany it seems on a Friday, or Saturday night everyone is drinking wherever they like lol.

Posted: 2019-03-02, 4:19 am

Supporting Member
Eric and Splodge,

Thanks for the help. The web link is indeed the train that I have to take.
I'm used to DB rail, where it seems like you are required to drink a beer every few minutes.
I kind of like that, so it seems strange everywhere else.
I don't want to create an international incident, but If I have to spend 5 hours on trains, I will need LOTS of drinks!

Weasel
Posted: 2019-03-03, 3:12 pm

splodge Power Kat
Lol. I feel the same. And you're right. Exactly how ive noticed it to be in Germany. Just don't leave 600-700 cigarettes behind like I did on an Antwerp and Brussels journey to Amsterdam. And some other stuff. Someone had a very lucky day. Brussels Midi is well set up for sure. Just keep an eye on your belongings and watch out for dodgy characters. Brussels Nord is a 5 min train ride away but I'm sure you know this already. As stated already I think, the food court is very good. And there's plenty of shops selling Belgian sweets, which is always handy for presents.

[ 8 posts ] 

Jump to: