Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 7 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Making international collect call from NL - how?
Posted: 2012-05-06, 3:24 am

BlutoBlutarsky Admin
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
I'm in Amsterdam and need to contact my credit card company (in the US) as they blocked my card for no apparent reason, even though I told them where I'd be. This is a recurring theme with them (Capital One)... complete cunts. There is a (US) number I am supposed to call collect from overseas, but I can't figure out how to do this from my Dutch mobile phone. Many searches eventually turned up a number, 0800 0101, for making collect calls but that's only for calling Dutch phone numbers... I tried it. Is there a different number I can use for international, or another way? It's a bit surprising to not be able to find the answer by now but, then again, I'm searching using English words, which isn't going to help.

I can just call them and pay for the call, of course, but that's rather annoying considering they're already wasting my time to begin with.

Posted: 2012-05-06, 7:04 am

MiamiDaveSupporting Member
Supporting Member
You can try calling AT&T and see if they will place a collect call for you.

From the NL 0800 022 9111
Re: Making international collect call from NL - how?
Posted: 2012-05-06, 11:08 am

Anglofil
(Slightly off-topic) I always thought it was expensive to make a call from the telephone in the hotel room, but last time I stayed at the Rho (my favv hotel) I asked the polite man in the reception about how expensive it really is.
I said, given that a call back home to my folks would cost 1 euro per minute with my mobile phone, how much cheaper would you the Rho charged me if I use the phone in room 321?
He answered politely that, -Oh it is much cheaper so please go ahead and use our phone.
On my departure, I was slightly chocked as I was charged 50 euro för a 40 minute call! I protested and referred the promised 'much cheaper'. But, I had to pay.
Posted: 2012-05-06, 3:00 pm

BlutoBlutarsky Admin
Nevermind, I broke down and called from my Dutch mobile... still cheaper than doing the same thing with my US phone. But if anyone knows the best way to do this, maybe someone else might find it useful. I searched but still couldn't figure out how to dial the operator... lol. I didn't try calling AT&T as suggested though... I'm not a customer so didn't think they would be inclined to help me, right?

Anglofil wrote:
(Slightly off-topic) I always thought it was expensive to make a call from the telephone in the hotel room, but last time I stayed at the Rho (my favv hotel) I asked the polite man in the reception about how expensive it really is.
I said, given that a call back home to my folks would cost 1 euro per minute with my mobile phone, how much cheaper would you the Rho charged me if I use the phone in room 321?
He answered politely that, -Oh it is much cheaper so please go ahead and use our phone.
On my departure, I was slightly chocked as I was charged 50 euro för a 40 minute call! I protested and referred the promised 'much cheaper'. But, I had to pay.

That's shitty. I guess I just had an opposite experience... I stayed at the Hotel Sint Nicolaas (on Spuistraat, near Centraal Station) a few weeks ago and asked about using the phone in my room. They told me I'd have to pay a deposit and advised me that it would run out very fast, even for local calls, so basically discouraged me from doing it... how refreshing! I really liked this place... staff were very nice for the most part, lobby bar open until 4am or so and housekeeping didn't bother me once when I had the "do not disturb" up (if they do, it's a dealbreaker for me and is why I try to avoid staying in NH hotels e.g. Barbizon & Kras)... I was there a week. Free, fast wi-fi connection with a strong signal too. Would definitely stay there again.

Posted: 2012-05-06, 5:16 pm

spanner

I think this is the toll free number to get in touch with an operator in the Netherlands than you can have her/him make the collect call for you.

I read that from a landline you can dial 0170 which connects you to an international operator which you than give the name, country & number to.

I also read that most mobile phone service providers do not allow you to make collect calls from those types of phones.
Posted: 2012-05-06, 5:26 pm

BlutoBlutarsky Admin
Spanner - thanks for the info.

spanner wrote:
I also read that most mobile phone service providers do not allow you to make collect calls from those types of phones.

Well, that figures.

I guess Skype may be the best option for international calls then... need to figure that out later.

Thanks all.

Posted: 2012-05-07, 6:24 am

burn out
1. any call to a 1-800 number on skype is free. (I used the WIFI at my hotel on my iphone)

2. I had to call Wells Fargo regarding my ATM card withdrawal limit. I used a pay phone at my hotel (WIFI was down) and dialed the international collect call number. That was also free.

3. I have had minor issue with Capital One myself in the past so I know what it's like . At least they do not charge a fee for international transactions.
 [ 7 posts ] 

Jump to: