Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 78 posts ]  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Re: Amsterdam Pubs and Bars thread!
Posted: 2013-09-22, 5:16 pm

BlutoBlutarsky Admin
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
HC wrote:
Great list tony. All my favourites covered except Wynand Fockink if that counts as a pub/bar.

Oh, I'd say it definitely counts. I love that place! Opened in 1679 according to their website and looks it. The staff are great and are happy to teach you all about the history of jenever (the predecessor to modern day gin), suggest various varieties to try, etc. One time when it wasn't too busy they took me in back for a private tour of the facilities. Just a great little place. Most of the booze is distilled right there on premises. If you're in the mood for something traditional, go for a kopstoot (headbutt), which is a shot of jenever with a beer (pilsener) chaser. They also have an extensive selection of schnapps. I recommend the citroen brandewijn (something a bit similar to limoncello, but much nicer in my opinion.) It is only open from 3pm - 9pm. Definitely check this place out if you haven't been.

br1965 wrote:
Re Pleinzicht I'm surprised you haven't stepped in for re-fueling between sessions. Good little bar. Sells De Koninck and plays some good heavy blues. Charismatic barman.

You mean the guy with a great moustache and tattoos on his head? Yeah, he's hilarious... really brings a fun atmosphere to the place. I was in there just the other day and he was working. I'd also recommend this place be added to the list.

Edit: I see it's already on the list. They have De Koninck (as noted), Carlsberg, Heineken and one other thing I can't remember on tap as well as your standard selection of hard booze. Corner Oudezijds Voorburgwal and Oudekennissteeg. I don't think they have a website. They don't have wifi either and this is on purpose. I overheard the barman explaining to some girl that, these days, if there's wifi, everyone has their faces buried in their tablets/smartphones and they find it antisocial, so they choose not to offer it. I actually find this charming. Music is always at a pleasant volume and consists of mostly blues-based rock, which is perfect for me. Non of that hip hop shite (sorry guys!) Yeah, definitely one of my favourite spots.

SVU18 wrote:
Molly Malones

http://www.mollyinamsterdam.com

Oudezijds Kolk 9 1012 AL Amsterdam

Not a great selection of beers, the usual suspects.

But nice safe irish pub , family owned. Great food and has a nice mix of locals and tourists.

Yup, I like this place too. I always thought the old Irish guy who sometimes works behind the bar owned it but then someone here posted a while back that it's owned by Israelis who also own the Hotel France next door. I don't know. Anyway, I agree, really quality food and a nice atmosphere.

Posted: 2013-09-23, 9:53 am

HCSupporting Member
Supporting Member
That's the guy Bluto. Although the tattoos are either a recent adornment or you'd had too many Konincks when you noted them :-)

Glad to hear he's still there.
Posted: 2013-09-23, 10:50 am

BlutoBlutarsky Admin
HC wrote:
That's the guy Bluto. Although the tattoos are either a recent adornment or you'd had too many Konincks when you noted them :-)

Yup, that's the guy but that video was taken in 2008. I definitely didn't imagine the tattoos so I guess he got them between then and now. He's had them for a while, it seems like.

Posted: 2013-09-25, 11:46 am

HCSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Don't remember the tats but haven't been over in 2 years :-(

Shame to read in another post about t' Koggeschip closing down. Used to pop in there between laps of the Singel District. They served Westmalle tripel!!

I'll make 't Arendsnest my new watering hole in that area. In De Wildeman is reserved for end of the day drinking as I usually leave there in a sorry state.
Posted: 2013-09-25, 8:13 pm

Mister Mingeater
BlutoBlutarsky wrote:
HC wrote:

Yup, that's the guy but that video was taken in 2008. I definitely didn't imagine the tattoos so I guess he got them between then and now. He's had them for a while, it seems like.

You didn't imagine the tats, Bert (that's his name) got the one on the left side of his head done 3 or 4 years ago, it is a cartoon cariacature of him as a small boy on a scooter which relates historically to him and the biker background to the bar. The one on the right side of his head is from early this year and is a Microsoft Windows logo / Amsterdam RLD Windows styled theme with some personal dates and stuff inked in.
I've known him for donkeys years and a fine bloke he is too, he married one of the barmaids Jolanda (a.k.a (YoYo the light red/blonde haired one) in May and the tat on the right is also to do with that.
In fact I will be slurpin ale in there in a few days time - can't wait.
Cheers,
Mr M

Posted: 2013-10-03, 8:40 pm

alelover45Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Well done Tony!
A very comprehensive list of pubs...not an easy task in this city.
Nice to see t'arendsnest and Gollem listed... My two favorites.
The only addition I'd make to this list is the Drink N Sink (warmoestraat 58).
As "dive" as it gets... But a cool little pub.
Thanks for your efforts!
Naroc,
-ale

Posted: 2013-10-04, 1:09 pm

tonymunch Power Kat
alelover45 wrote:
Well done Tony!
A very comprehensive list of pubs...not an easy task in this city.
Nice to see t'arendsnest and Gollem listed... My two favorites.
The only addition I'd make to this list is the Drink N Sink (warmoestraat 58).
As "dive" as it gets... But a cool little pub.
Thanks for your efforts!
Naroc,
-ale

thanks a lot, i'm glad its appreciated!

i'll update the main thread with the additions when i get a chance!

Posted: 2013-10-09, 9:46 pm

tonymunch Power Kat
updated the main page with three new pubs (two suggested in the thread). thanks!

Posted: 2013-11-21, 6:54 pm

tonymunch Power Kat
updated the details for Cafe De Zotte and Cafe Soundgarden.

De Zotte is well worth checking out - especially if you are in Liedseplein and don't want to drink in one of the pubs round the square. good beer selection, good music.

Posted: 2014-01-25, 7:26 pm

lungofun
I like the bottle, next door to cafe420. Smoking is fine and stays open late - 3 or 4am. Playing G'N'R when I was in there so for me that's a winner!
Posted: 2014-02-13, 5:58 am

Mr.Plug
Great info everybody. I've been to most of these, and some of my favorites are Cafe Pleinzicht,
Cafe Belgique, De Bekeerde Suster, and Het Elfde Gebod.

Great to see that these places are still the classics that I remember.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the windmill brewery, http://www.brouwerijhetij.nl/homepage/h ... dejaars-2/

Whenever I'm lucky enough to get to A'dam, making a pilgrimage to this brewery always turns out to be a highlight of my trip. An 8% Zatte followed by a 9% Columbus is about as good as it gets on a nice late afternoon on the East side of our favorite city.

Mr. Plug
Posted: 2014-03-15, 2:59 pm

loolz Power Kat
If you guys were to take a window girl to one of these pubs for a quick drink, which would you choose?
Posted: 2014-03-15, 3:03 pm

stix
Noticed a new bar on molensteeg old mill I think it's called, looks like it's a few old kamers knocked together, seems fairly cheap and cheerful somewhere more for stag groups than a relaxing drink
Posted: 2014-03-24, 4:01 pm

kingconan
Susies Saloon during happy hour is always good (pints of Heineken for 3E)
Royal Taste
Old Sailor
In de Wildeman
Posted: 2014-04-07, 3:02 am

Davidag
What about Slaintes Irish Pub behind the old church, 2 happy hours daily, great staff and food.
Posted: 2014-05-27, 11:06 am

elgonzoSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Here is one that has not been mentioned yet.

http://www.arendsnest.nl/

Posted: 2014-08-09, 8:06 pm

BlutoBlutarsky Admin
tonymunch wrote:
Cafe Pleinzicht
can't find a URL, know nothing about this place. theres a guy that works here with a mad moustache and has tattoos on his head apparently.

HC wrote:
Re Pleinzicht I'm surprised you haven't stepped in for re-fueling between sessions. Good little bar. Sells De Koninck and plays some good heavy blues. Charismatic barman.

Mister Mingeater wrote:
BlutoBlutarsky wrote:
HC wrote:

You didn't imagine the tats, Bert (that's his name) got the one on the left side of his head done 3 or 4 years ago, it is a cartoon cariacature of him as a small boy on a scooter which relates historically to him and the biker background to the bar. The one on the right side of his head is from early this year and is a Microsoft Windows logo / Amsterdam RLD Windows styled theme with some personal dates and stuff inked in.
I've known him for donkeys years and a fine bloke he is too, he married one of the barmaids Jolanda (a.k.a (YoYo the light red/blonde haired one) in May and the tat on the right is also to do with that.
In fact I will be slurpin ale in there in a few days time - can't wait.
Cheers,
Mr M

I was in Café Pleinzicht this afternoon. I regret to inform anyone who doesn't know that Bert passed away about three weeks ago. Cancer. His picture is now up on the wall of fame. I'm really bummed out right now. He was the best barman in Amsterdam and pretty much the identity of that place. I had many pleasant chats with him over the years and, generally, if I was walking by the place and saw that he was working, I'd always go in, even if I wasn't really in the mood for a beer.

Café Pleinzicht is great. Today a hen party came in (about 15 or 20 British girls, screaming the moment they walked in the door) and the barmaid immediately and very calmly asked them to go someplace else. "Are you serious?" Oh yes. I love this place. They play blues and blues-based rock (my favourite music) at a reasonable volume and don't tolerate assholes. A lot of locals go there. I consider it a diamond in the rough as far as RLD pubs go.

I'm not sure if I can return now. It's just really sad seeing Bert's picture on the wall and knowing he's not coming back. :-(

Posted: 2014-08-09, 10:45 pm

Mister Mingeater
Hello Blu,
thank you for sharing this unfortunate news, I am shocked and much saddened, back in April he seemed fine.
For certain the place won't be the same but life and the bar carries on - I also have good times there with both the sisters who run it and I enjoy the vibe, so will be back in there for sure in a few weeks.
As a tribute here is a vid of the man himself in action as we knew him http://youtu.be/_ws_nc7RjnM hope you enjoy it - with sound too!
R.I.P. big man
Respect form Mr M

Posted: 2014-08-29, 6:56 pm

HCSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Oh my what sad news. Can't imagine he was much older than me!

I've always visit Pleinzicht when in Amsterdam. My kind of place but it won't be the same now :-(
Posted: 2014-09-03, 8:39 am

ststephen56
Not exactly a bar and a bit out of the center, but I've really enjoyed visiting 't IJ brewery. When the weather is nice and everyone is sitting outside on the picnic tables under the windmill it's fun to meet people and soak up the pleasant atmosphere. I wouldn't light up here, but it was dead simple to walk to the canal and puff and come right back to your table.

Here's a link: http://www.brouwerijhetij.nl/splash-page-nl/
 [ 78 posts ]  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jump to: