Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 78 posts ]  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Re: Amsterdam Pubs and Bars thread!
Posted: 2014-10-04, 9:46 pm

dustybottoms
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Thanks a million Tony. I've always just randomly walked around looking for pubs and usually ended up landing in places that are overly crowded with tourists and and overcharge for beers. I will definitely be visiting a handful of these during my upcoming trip.

Cheers
DB
Posted: 2014-10-09, 12:15 am

Mister Mingeater
HC wrote:
Oh my what sad news. Can't imagine he was much older than me!

I've always visit Pleinzicht when in Amsterdam. My kind of place but it won't be the same now :-(

I was in there over the last few days for the first time since the death of Bert and it was a bit strange and I was sad to start with. Known him for over 25 years so needed to face up to it and pay my respects.
The shifts that Bert had were totally different with no blues and the music taste was of the replacement barman - OK music, general mix with a beat although he did do music requests for customers.
The staff agreed Bert was unique and well liked, people came from all over the world to see him and they aren't going to try and copy him.
Friday night was busy and fun, Saturday night was very busy like normal with rock and blues, Sunday night when we used to chat, listen to the blues and drink into the night was very different unfortunately.
Still a good watering hole with friendly staff and some real characters for regulars.
Bert was 60 by the way, would have been 61 later this month I think, he lived his life how he wanted and loved his work in the Pleinzicht
Anyway next time back in Mokum I'm at the bar again for sure.
If you knew him go in and grab a beer, tilt your glass towards his photo on the wall and make a toast.
All the best,
Mr M

Posted: 2014-10-11, 1:10 am

dustybottoms
Tony, thanks for putting this list together. Is there a neighborhood or street that is flooded with cool pubs? Not the super touristy ones though.

DB
Posted: 2014-11-03, 1:00 am

channelsurfer
For all of you beer lovers, I've noticed that one of my all time favourite beer bars in the world, the Delirium Cafe in Brussels, has opened a branch in Amsterdam!

http://www.deliriumcafeamsterdam.nl/en/

It's out by the Buimhuis \ Movenpick Hotel on Piet Heinkade and was wondering if anyone has been there yet?

As you'd expect the beer list list looks impressive!

It's definitely on my list to visit on my next trip in early December.
Posted: 2014-11-10, 1:11 pm

HCSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Didn't know this. Thanks for the info.

I visit the Brussels Delirium on my way home every Amsterdam trip.

I hope the Amsterdam one is like the upstairs one in Brussels. Is it the Tap Room they call it? It's only been open once in all my visits. Not much atmosphere but loads of draughts. The draughts downstairs is always the same boring line-up of fruit beers. I usually just drink Tremens.

If you like bottles however, they have EVERYTHING :-)
Posted: 2014-11-22, 8:26 pm

lilji
Mister Mingeater wrote:
Hello Blu,
thank you for sharing this unfortunate news, I am shocked and much saddened, back in April he seemed fine.
For certain the place won't be the same but life and the bar carries on - I also have good times there with both the sisters who run it and I enjoy the vibe, so will be back in there for sure in a few weeks.
As a tribute here is a vid of the man himself in action as we knew him http://youtu.be/_ws_nc7RjnM hope you enjoy it - with sound too!
R.I.P. big man
Respect form Mr M

No way, never been in the place but he used to stand outside in the mornings and I noticed him for his moustache. Even without drinking there or ever speaking to him he was one of the characters of Amsterdam to me.
Posted: 2014-11-25, 3:56 am

Happymonday
Surprised nobody has mentioned 'The Winston' 129 Warmoesstraat. One of the great recommendations picked up from this board a good number of years ago.
-2 bottles of Becks for 5 euros throughout the day
- Good food
- Pool table and smoking area
- Chilled bar staff and cool atmosphere

Smell of good earthy herbs makes my nerves shudder but where were you that cold December, cos we were in the Grasshopper spending guilders..Central Station, charged up like Scarface, Amsterdam ain't a nice place off your face
Posted: 2014-12-12, 8:00 am

tonymunch Power Kat
Happymonday wrote:
Surprised nobody has mentioned 'The Winston' 129 Warmoesstraat. One of the great recommendations picked up from this board a good number of years ago.
-2 bottles of Becks for 5 euros throughout the day
- Good food
- Pool table and smoking area
- Chilled bar staff and cool atmosphere

i'm surprised i didn't add the Winston to the list to be honest, as i've been there a lot with smoking buddies, cos you can smoke and drink in there. and yes, the food is pretty good (typical pub grub type fare).
only issue i have is - don't think their beer is up to much. but then i'm a fussy bugger.

added Cafe Chaos and Cafe l'Affiche to the list on the front page. I love both bars, but don't think they'll be troubling Ignatzmice members anytime soon, as they are a bit off the beaten track. Was in Ams in Nov and spent a lot of time at both bars and had the best time!

Posted: 2014-12-19, 9:52 pm

Stratosphere
Mr and Ms. Stratosphere really loves Cafe De Zon by the church on Nieuwmarkt just down Bloedstraat and to the left. Really cool people working there and we always meet local fun people.
Posted: 2014-12-25, 11:12 pm

stix
I've taken to having a few beers in the royal taste, good central location and you watch the RLD go by and as an added bonus I've seen german Kim and a few other girls having a beer there. Few seats outside in summer

Cafe Corso is good bit further down OZA so close enough to the action but doesn't attract stag do's etc
Posted: 2015-01-30, 12:46 am

tonymunch Power Kat
dustybottoms wrote:
Tony, thanks for putting this list together. Is there a neighborhood or street that is flooded with cool pubs? Not the super touristy ones though.

DB

really sorry i didn't see this back in October. apparently Utrechstraat (slightly west of the Amstel canal) is full of pubs and bars - you can access it not far from the Heineken experience, and it ends in Rembrantsplein.

I've only managed to spend time there once, and unfortunately i was ill and didn't get a chance to check out as many places as I could.

Also, you could check Cafe Zotte and Cafe Chaos, which are on the way out of Leidseplein, away from the tourist area. rarely tourists in these bars, and they are great.

Posted: 2015-02-23, 12:24 am

technolight
Delerium in Amsterdam Yahoooooooooooo , hold on , just realised where they have opened it , why not on the Damrak , not exactly on the tourist route is it , it will be empty , fantastic all the more beer for me.
Posted: 2015-02-25, 8:43 am

coolwhip45
I know they've been mentioned but my favs are Winston, Old Sailor and Excalibur..Can't go wrong with those :)
Posted: 2015-03-10, 12:09 am

channelsurfer
Good news for all of us beer lovers, a new branch of Cafe Gollem has just opened!

It's situated at Amstelstraat 34, just off Rembrandtplein!

The website info is pretty sparse at the moment ( http://cafegollem.nl/amstelstraat/ ), but says it has 30 beers on tap and over 100 in bottles, so plainly well worth a visit!

If anyone has been there, I'd be interested to know what you think.
Posted: 2015-03-12, 11:03 am

HCSupporting Member
Supporting Member
30 beers on tap!!!! That's ambitious. Nearly Delirium and In de Wildeman's offerings combined.

I'll be sure to check it out in May.
Posted: 2015-03-13, 2:46 am

Liam1975
Thanks for the heads up channelsurfer.

Back in Amsterdam next week so will be having a few there!
Posted: 2015-03-13, 10:13 am

mitchum39
I've chatted with Bert every year for about ten years. He was a lovely, friendly man and I'm gutted at the news. He used to have a picture above the bar of the building on fire, a few years ago he moved it to the far wall. He was a great barman, he ran that place with a genial iron rod, woe betide anyone creeping in to use the toilet without buying. RIP Bert.
Posted: 2015-03-15, 7:11 am

willk84
The Bottle Bar next to Cafe420 is awesome. I cant wait to visit the place again next month. The bartenders were always friendly, you can smoke in there and they always play the best soccer matches.
Posted: 2015-03-27, 11:20 pm

elgonzoSupporting Member
Supporting Member
http://lovintrends.com/cities/amsterdam ... -amsterdam
Not many of these mentioned

Posted: 2015-05-16, 9:00 pm

Humbledmike
Anyone have a comprehensive list of bars that you can smoke weed in?

I only know of:

Barneys lounge
stones cafe
 [ 78 posts ]  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jump to: