Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 3 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
New Flybe route from Doncaster Sheffield Airport to Schipol
Posted: 2016-05-22, 5:41 pm

Aldebran LinkbatSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Well it's not that new, I think it started back in March.....

http://www.flybe.com/offers/

For anyone in the South Yorkshire area who might be interested, Flybe now have one flight per day from Doncaster Sheffield to Schipol, 11:30 departure. Arrival in Schipol is 13:40 which is convenient for typical hotel check-in times. And yes, it lands on "that" runway with the 15-minute taxi to the gate, although it did go to an actual gate (H) unlike some other flights I've been on that require a bus-shuttle to the terminal.

The return flight from Schipol is at 14:15, with a 14:30 arrival in Doncaster Sheffield. From take-off to landing is only about 45 minutes, so with the 1 hr time difference, on the way back you technically land before you take-off (like most Schipol to UK routes I suppose), LOL.

Public transport connections at the UK end aren't great going out (the airport doesn't have a train station and the only reliable bus connection is the X19 at 08:40 from Doncaster train station) but the airport itself is extremely chilled at that time of day with few other flights. Based on a flight last Wednesday - no queue at the check-in / baggage drop. A couple of people in front of me at security. Only 30~ people on the flight so plenty of room to spread out.

The flights cost me £55 return (includes small cabin bag only) with another £44 for checked baggage, so £99 return total including my suitcase.

The aircraft are Embraer 195s (nice modern 100-seat jets with 2-by-2 seating and decent legroom).

I hope it turns into a viable route; it's well worth giving it a go if you live in that part of the country!

Posted: 2016-05-22, 6:22 pm

glasgowguy_69
Good flight times. As you say, the flight to Amsterdam is good based on the average check-in time at hotels and given that check out times are normally noon, you can essentially just check out and head straight to airport without any waiting around time.

Posted: 2016-06-05, 3:13 pm

mjclfc
we use humberside as they do three flights a day very close to where we live
 [ 3 posts ] 

Jump to: