Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 12 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
7%-15% of window girls have HIV virus according to a website
Posted: 2016-08-29, 6:43 pm

Braveinca
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
to be fair this website looks crap and no statistical back up,

has anyone heard of any unfortunate reports of hiv virus contraction? or read a compelling online article?

I dont belive it myself so opinions are welcome
Re: 7%-15% of window girls have HIV virus according to a website
Posted: 2016-08-29, 8:13 pm

Shinken69 Power Kat
https://www.iom.int/jahia/webdav/shared/shared/mainsite/events/docs/eu_consultation/country_report_netherlands.pdf

Quote:
Commercial sex workers are another group at risk for HIV infection. Anonymous unlinked HIV surveys show that the HIV prevalence is high among transgender and drug-using sex workers. HIV prevalence is relatively low among female sex workers, who never injected drugs. The majority of the HIV positives in these surveys were not aware of their HIV infection. Although municipal public health services carry out outreach activities in this group and the active HIV testing policy is also aimed at sex workers, women involved in commercial sex work remain a vulnerable hard-to-reach group.

I never like accepting stats without seeing details of how the study was conducted.
Has anyone seen any better studies?

Last edited by Shinken69 on 2016-08-29, 11:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Posted: 2016-08-29, 8:16 pm

grimnul Power Kat
There's no way that's true. Just statistically, with the number of people who these girls are seeing, even with condoms, you'd be hearing stories about tourists coming home with HIV weekly. Hell, at least one person who posts here regularly should statistically have contracted HIV by now if those numbers were anywhere near accurate.

I remember watching a video a while back, it was a documentary about window girls and prostitution in De Wallen, I think it was something something someone here posted, but I can't remember which specific video it was now. They interviewed a lady who worked in a clinic that did check ups for prostitutes, and she said that in all her years working there, she'd seen only one case of HIV, it was incredibly rare.

This just smacks of propaganda. Sounds like another one of those ridiculous "90% of all girls are trafficked" statistics that feminist and anti-prostitution types are always throwing around.
Posted: 2016-08-29, 8:37 pm

Shinken69 Power Kat
Something else to consider.

Quote:
Sex and HIV transmission
Having sex with a person with HIV increases your risk of contracting the virus. HIV may be transmitted both anally and vaginally during sexual intercourse. According to the CDC, the risk of infection for receptive penile or vaginal sex is 8 per 10,000 exposures. For insertive penile-vaginal sex, the risk of infection lowers to 4 out of 10,000 exposures.

Receptive anal intercourse with a partner who is HIV-positive is the sex act that’s most likely to spread the virus. For every 10,000 instances of receptive anal intercourse with a partner who has HIV, the virus is likely to be transmitted 138 times.

Insertive anal intercourse poses a lower risk, with 11 infections per 10,000 exposures. All forms of oral sex are considered low risk. And sharing sexual aids carries a negligible risk of transmission.

It’s important to always protect yourself during sex. If you’re going to have sexual contact with another person, using condoms is the best way to prevent the spread of HIV and other sexually transmitted infections. Condoms act as barriers against semen and vaginal fluids. Latex condoms provide better protection than other types, such as lambskin condoms. Never use a homemade condom.

Sex with a condom is not 100 percent risk-free. Misuse and breakage can be problems. If you’re sexually active, you and your partner should consider getting HIV tests. This can help you understand your risk of spreading or getting the virus. If your partner has HIV and you don’t, the CDC reports that using condoms may lower your risk of getting the virus by 80 percent,

If your partner has HIV and gets antiretroviral therapy, it can reduce the risk of transmission by up to 96 percent. Combining condoms with antiretroviral therapy can provide even more protection.

Posted: 2016-08-29, 11:22 pm

george47 Power Kat
Braveinca wrote:
to be fair this website looks crap and no statistical back up,

Which website?
Posted: 2016-08-30, 1:49 am

grimnul Power Kat
I mean, it says prevalence of HIV is high amongst transgender sex workers and sex workers who use (injected) drugs. Isn't that the case in those particular groups outside of sex work anyway? It seems like all that study really says is that using injected drugs or engaging in homosexual anal sex (and I mean in no way to be bigoted here, the study specifies that receiving anal sex is far more risky than giving) increases your risk of infection.

Well, no shit.

If anything, the studies seem to suggest that protected, heterosexual sex with female sex workers who are not using injected drugs has a virtually negligible risk of infection. To me, really the only "x factor" that we don't really have control over as mongers is whether these girls are using heroin. I'd suspect likely very few are, though of course we have no way of knowing.
Posted: 2016-09-01, 3:00 am

weasel9x9Supporting Member
Supporting Member
That is total bullshit.
Active IV drug abusing male prostitutes (the group with the highest HIV rates) have nowhere near that level of infection. The Netherlands has a very aggressive public health service, with the ability to monitor window girls without question. An HIV positive worker would not be able to continue working in a regulated window.

Weasel

Posted: 2016-09-01, 11:17 am

Shinken69 Power Kat
Here is a more recent study conducted by the National Institute for Public Health and the Environment.
It outlines in detail the context of the study, how it was conducted and the statistical treatment applied.
It puts HIV rates among female sex workers at 0.1%.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4552148/

Posted: 2016-09-01, 1:25 pm

george47 Power Kat
Shinken69 wrote:
Here is a more recent study conducted by the National Institute for Public Health and the Environment.
It outlines in detail the context of the study, how it was conducted and the statistical treatment applied.

I stopped reading it when it said selling of sex is illegal in Belgium. Pretty sure that's wrong so I wouldn't trust the rest of it. I am sure though that HIV rates among sex workers in Holland are pretty low and much lower still amongst the window girls, especially the ones with a Dutch education.
Posted: 2016-09-01, 6:09 pm

AlCaponedLondoner
weasel9x9 wrote:
That is total bullshit.
Active IV drug abusing male prostitutes (the group with the highest HIV rates) have nowhere near that level of infection. The Netherlands has a very aggressive public health service, with the ability to monitor window girls without question. An HIV positive worker would not be able to continue working in a regulated window.

Weasel

How are the girls monitored? Surely an infected girl, be it a basic std or even hiv be able to taken certain steps to avoid detection.
Posted: 2016-09-01, 7:29 pm

Shinken69 Power Kat
george47 wrote:
Shinken69 wrote:

I stopped reading it when it said selling of sex is illegal in Belgium. Pretty sure that's wrong so I wouldn't trust the rest of it. I am sure though that HIV rates among sex workers in Holland are pretty low and much lower still amongst the window girls, especially the ones with a Dutch education.

The report references the Belgian penal code. I presume the are thinking about brothels.
Don't throw the baby out with the bath water. The legal status of prodtitution doesn't affect the numbers.

Posted: 2016-09-01, 7:31 pm

Shinken69 Power Kat
AlCaponedLondoner wrote:
weasel9x9 wrote:
That is total bullshit.

Weasel

How are the girls monitored? Surely an infected girl, be it a basic std or even hiv be able to taken certain steps to avoid detection.

The report uses anonymous data from STI clinics. There is no mandatory screening for sex workers.

[ 12 posts ] 

Jump to: