Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 6 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Are credit cards widely accepted in Amsterdam
Posted: 2016-09-16, 6:38 pm

Blakedd420
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Traveling to Amsterdam soon are credit cards widely accepted in Amsterdam? And if so is it signature cards that are used or do I need some sort of pin?
Re: Are credit cards widely accepted in Amsterdam
Posted: 2016-09-17, 3:31 am

nyc diesel
You'll have no problem at 99% of the places. Chip credit cards are the standard. A few merchants may ask for ID.

I even went to a "real" Dutch fast food joint near Leidesplein quite often and they accepted bitcoin.
Posted: 2016-09-18, 11:47 pm

Blakedd420
Cool so no pin for credit cards to use them?? My buddy says they don't do signature and all credit cards require a pin to be able to use them in Europe but that dosent seem right
Posted: 2016-09-19, 2:23 am

nyc diesel
I think your friend may be incorrect, but I haven't been in the Netherlands since 11/2015.

I'm sure you can do a quick google on it, but as a US resident I have no problem using any of my credit cards or ATM cards anywhere in Amsterdam. I even bought an Ajax ticket for their match vs. Excelsior last week via the Ajax website using a US credit card and the transaction went through---and much cheaper than using Ajax's English-language site.
Posted: 2016-09-19, 12:57 pm

Blakedd420
Thanks. Yea what he had said didn't make any sense. Thanks nyc diesel. Also anyone have problems with being pick pocketed or mugged in Amsterdam?
Posted: 2016-09-20, 11:57 pm

dirk diggler
Most all merchants that deal with tourists will accept credit cards both chip and magnetic strip.
Two notable exceptions are Dutch Rail which will only accepts chip & pin credit cards (US uses chip & signature), and the Albert Heijn Supermarkets which only accept local debit cards.

There are a few merchants that have gone cashless. I spotted a couple of small stores with signs on their door in the 9 streets district, the new Film Center, and the new Foodhallen market.
 [ 6 posts ] 

Jump to: