Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 4 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Aggressive Street Pushers back in De Wallen?
Posted: 2016-10-01, 1:57 pm

Braveinca
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Hello, all and firstly happy weekend everyone.

In light of the recent attack in De Wallen, I would like to get recent visitors thoughts on the general safety walking around solo after 10pm in the RLD. From what I gather there is less of a local Police presence due to cut backs. Apparently the local Police station that was situated close to De Wallen has been transfered to Nieuwezijdsvoorburgwal. I recall in the earlier years circa 2001 / 2003 there was an agressive presence of street drug dealers harassing tourists. Many of these from what I remember where of African / Surinam origin.

Some say the bars are closing earlier resulting in more drunk agressive people hanging about.
This problem seemed to be under control around 2012 and just want to know what the general atmosphere is like now as I travelling solo soon.

Here is a video I saw of two young british lads saying how they were harassed

http://www.at5.nl/video/128742
Re: Aggressive Street Pushers back in De Wallen?
Posted: 2016-10-01, 7:15 pm

george47 Power Kat
I go 5 or 6 times a year spread out evenly. So I see every season and any changes. It has always felt safe to me and slightly safer in recent years. There used to always be an incident going on but I haven't seen any "action" for a long time. Typically I hear the word "charlie" (coke) whispered to me perhaps twice each 4 day visit. Around 10 years ago I probably heard it 100 times. I am rarely out past midnight so can't comment on the early hours. My last trip was August.
Posted: 2016-10-01, 9:19 pm

grimnul Power Kat
These guys are definitely around, but I've never really felt threatened by them. I just ignore them and keep walking, they've never given me trouble. I honestly have really never felt unsafe in Amsterdam.

The key is with this sort of thing is not to look like a victim. Walk with confidence, don't project vulnerability. These types, if they're going to hassle someone, are looking for an easy target. They don't want to mess with someone who looks like they could put up a fight.
Posted: 2016-10-02, 6:28 am

IQ
I was there in June, July, and September this year. I regularly prowled around the midnight hours up until 2am or so when the crowds have thinned out. The street dealers were there and usually mumbled at me as I walked past. I ignored them and usually it was not a problem. On my latest trip late one night a dealer grabbed my elbow trying to make his point that he could get "anything I wanted." I sternly told him "don't touch me" and he backed off quickly. So while he was somewhat aggressive he also responded to my telling him off.

I did not see much police presence, only twice saw bicycle polizei. Keep in mind the entire RLD is under heavy video surveillance. When crimes happen the cops can pretty easily track down the perps.

In general I felt safe enough. However, I did take precautions when planning to be in the RLD late at night: I left my wallet and passport in the hotel, never got too high, and always tried to look like I knew my way around.

The coffee shops all close at 1am and the bars were open at least that late.

In summary I took basic street-savvy precautions and I never had a serious incident. I'm 180cm, fit, but not imposing in the slightest.
 [ 4 posts ] 

Jump to: