Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 12 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
life in amsterdam?
Posted: 2016-10-04, 9:34 pm

josephallen
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
now i know that trips to amsterdam are the best ever, but i want to go live there, is it actually as good? do you get bored or such? and does it get expensive if i went to university there and lets say went "loose" 4-5 days a week? how much would be enough money /month? im really considering moving there since i loved the city and i can move there. better not waste time to do something you love while you can. any help is appreciated, preferably from people living there but everyone is welcome to share their input and thanks.

Posted: 2016-10-05, 2:30 am

Roland Power Kat
Hello,
I do not know your age, standard of living, or your likes and dislikes....having said that:
In my opinion rent is the killer for you. Unless you can find something private (family friend or share) you will be looking at a cheap 850 euros to average 1200 to high of pwards of €1750 per month.
If you are planning to live like a local eat out occasionally, coffee or a couple of beer daily, a few nights out in the evenings, a show or some such,maybe a bit of 420.... I think you can do okay on about 800 to 1200 euros per month.
I budget 1500 euros for spending per month.....and usually spend 40 to 45 euros per day....but I go out 6 nights a week, do not monger and only eat in reasonably priced restaurants.
So expect your range including accommodation to be €1600 to about €2750.
Hope this helps.
Regards, Roland

Posted: 2016-10-05, 9:04 am

josephallen
awesome man thanks for the information :D

Posted: 2016-10-06, 1:08 am

DogsAfirePower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
I heard one Amsterdam resident describe it as "like living in a theme park 365 days a year"

the dogs
Re: life in amsterdam?
Posted: 2016-10-06, 9:11 am

josephallen
wow, that sounds awesome, im definitly gonna go live there

Posted: 2016-10-06, 11:09 pm

Roland Power Kat
I tell people......it is Disneyland for adults.

Posted: 2016-10-09, 9:36 pm

DogsAfirePower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
"Living in a theme park 365 days a year" was not meant to be an endorsement

They get tired of having us tourists around. I live in a tourist area so I get to see it from that side as well. We really only get an insane number of tourists in the summer (our city's population goes up by a factor of 5 - in other words, 4 out of 5 people you see on the street aren't from here). But even for that short time, it's no fun. You want them gone in a short period of time. They don't know where they're going, they're unaware of local custom (and therefore appear inconsiderate), they take our parking places and on and on. Yet they're only here for a few months. In Amsterdam, the invasion goes on day after day and never ends. I can understand why they are not always positively impressed by us tourists.

the dogs
Posted: 2016-10-09, 9:59 pm

grimnul Power Kat
Hell, the tourists drive ME nuts. I mean, at least I try to make sure to be polite and considerate and try not to be completely oblivious, but fuck's sake, people!

Why would you ever think it's ok to stand on the only bridge in the immediate area over a canal, have your girlfriend/buddy/whatever take a picture of you from across the bridge, and expect everyone to just stop so you can get your shot? If you really must be a narcissistic dickhead, take a selfie like every other asshole so at least you're not blocking the entire bridge.

Also, maybe don't stand with a group of your buddies directly fucking in front of some kamers. Some people might wanna get in there, y'know...
Posted: 2016-10-10, 8:03 pm

josephallen
well.. when you put it that way.. i guess im still moving but not into the heart of the city(where all the tourists are) ill move to a place close by..

Posted: 2016-10-12, 3:13 am

Roland Power Kat
Close by will reduce your rent...(of my estimates) by 25 to maybe 40%. Haarlem is beautiful....some of the smaller villages like Hoorn,
Altered, Amstelveen, Zaandam or Purmerend, interesting....but you are no longer in Amsterdam.
Your problem in these places will be more "social" i.e. finding friends or regular social contacts, the distance to Amsterdam and not having Amsterdam friends or strong knowledge of the place that by living there...would actually give you.
There are cheaper neighbourhoods like Diemen or Osdorp but you are in the suburbs.

Posted: 2016-10-12, 3:14 am

Roland Power Kat
Altered should be Almere

Posted: 2016-10-12, 1:59 pm

josephallen
you're absoloutly correct

[ 12 posts ] 

Jump to: