Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 51 posts ]  Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Re: UFC Sportsbar/coffeeshop open really late in Amsterdam maybe?/Ajax tickets?
Posted: 2016-11-04, 12:23 pm

lightmeup
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
yeah it's a tough one to call, I think it is a genuine 50/50 hence why I bet the fight would end in under 4.5 rounds, even if there is no KO, both boys have tricky submissions.
Posted: 2016-11-04, 1:50 pm

grimnul Power Kat
There are a ton of X factors, too. As I said, RDA left Kings MMA halfway through his training camp, but Tony is also not training with a standard camp this time. Tony's training up in the mountains throwing rocks around and stuff. Hard to say if that's a good thing or not, given that the fight is actually at elevation. Does kind of seem like he might be pulling the classic BJ Penn "let's go on vacation and call it training", though. RDA is currently training in Mexico City, so the elevation shouldn't be a factor for him.

I just think the biggest thing for me has to be level of experience. RDA beat Benson Henderson, Pettis, Cerrone, Diaz, just mauled a bunch of top guys. Tony hasn't had that level of experience yet, and he did get lit up by Vannata in the first round. On paper, RDA should have the advantage, but you never know in MMA. Plus, it's 2016, so much crazy shit has happened this year. Michael Bisping is a UFC champion. Anything can happen in MMA in 2016.
Posted: 2016-11-04, 8:57 pm

AlCaponedLondoner
grimnul wrote:
There are a ton of X factors, too. As I said, RDA left Kings MMA halfway through his training camp, but Tony is also not training with a standard camp this time. Tony's training up in the mountains throwing rocks around and stuff. Hard to say if that's a good thing or not, given that the fight is actually at elevation. Does kind of seem like he might be pulling the classic BJ Penn "let's go on vacation and call it training", though. RDA is currently training in Mexico City, so the elevation shouldn't be a factor for him.

I just think the biggest thing for me has to be level of experience. RDA beat Benson Henderson, Pettis, Cerrone, Diaz, just mauled a bunch of top guys. Tony hasn't had that level of experience yet, and he did get lit up by Vannata in the first round. On paper, RDA should have the advantage, but you never know in MMA. Plus, it's 2016, so much crazy shit has happened this year. Michael Bisping is a UFC champion. Anything can happen in MMA in 2016.

I just feel like RDA is possibly coming to an end in his MMA career. He is focusing on stuff outside of MMA. Ferguson is a badass and so hungry and confident in himself. I just feel like he'll pull off the win. Common sense dictates RDA though.
Posted: 2016-11-05, 1:45 am

lightmeup
Ok fuck it i'm going to have to say it, I think this fight under USADA testing will show if Dos Anjos was on something when he was killing everyone. There were a lot of rumours but I don't know for sure.
Posted: 2016-11-05, 2:14 am

grimnul Power Kat
Yeah, RDA very well could've been on something. He went from being a distinctly average fighter to an absolute killer seemingly overnight. Hard to say what to attribute that too. Could very well be that the move to Kings MMA really did make that big a difference. Maybe he was on the juice. Who knows?

I believe the Alvarez and Cowboy fights were under USADA, though, and he absolutely destroyed Cowboy. The Alvarez fight didn't say much to me because he got caught and finished pretty early, we didn't see him really get into his groove in that fight.

I do think this fight will tell us a lot about where he stands in his career now. Tony's tough for anyone, if RDA runs right through him, I think he can be champ again.
Posted: 2016-11-05, 2:51 am

lightmeup
yeah sounds like you know your stuff alright Grimnul, I agree with your assessment. I'm secretly hoping for Dos Anjos to get caught with Tonys D'arce Choke, It would be so funny to witness the shame and humiliation on his face to get caught like that. There is something I just don't like about RDA but Tony seems like a guy i'd like to have a beer with.
Posted: 2016-11-05, 3:08 am

grimnul Power Kat
Tony did kind of seem like a huge dick on TUF, but I always take TUF with a grain of salt. Dudes stuck in a house together with other dudes they may have to fight, not much to do, no contact with their families, no surprise that some demons are gonna come out from time to time. Of course they definitely use creative editing to control the narrative a bit, spice things up for TV, too. They always seem to have one or two guys who are the "villains" every season, I imagine a lot of that is just the editors trying to make the show more "compelling" for the casuals.
Posted: 2016-11-05, 3:22 am

lightmeup
no don't get me wrong, he's weird as fuck and a bit crazy but i think he's interesting RDA just bores me.
Posted: 2016-11-06, 7:39 am

grimnul Power Kat
Well, there you go.

RDA looked great in the first round, he was throwing heavy leg kicks, good combinations, backing Tony up, threatening with takedowns. Then round 2 started, Tony got into his groove, and RDA fell apart. Stopped throwing the leg kicks, wasn't putting together combinations, wasn't going for takedowns. Both guys' cardio seemed fine, just looked like RDA was way too predictable and Tony was able to hypnotize and confuse him a bit. Doesn't look like he's championship material anymore, he just looked pretty flat past the first round.

Great fight, though. Pretty fun card overall. Laughed my ass off at Diego just retard-strengthing his way out of that choke. Got a good leglock from Joe Soto, a nasty liver shot KO (Bas would be proud), a spinning backfist KO, a little of everything. Grasso looked pretty good/cute too.
Posted: 2016-11-06, 8:04 am

lightmeup
Yeah I'm a bit gutted that I got it wrong and it went to a decision. It was a good fight and I think that 6 inch reach advantage really helped Ferguson control the fight. They really need to do something about the eye pokes, either ban open palms to the face or just take points off. I was glad to see Dos Anjos lose but I think the referees are too lenient with the eye pokes as they tend to pressure the injured fighter to start fighting again almost immediately. Great cardio from both guys at altitude and I was impressed with the variation and spinning attacks from Ferguson, the way he switches stances mid combination and preserves his reach advantage by bringing the back hand forward is very awkward to deal with.
Posted: 2016-11-06, 6:32 pm

grimnul Power Kat
Yeah, fantastic use of range by Ferguson. RDA was doing well in the first, though, rolling under, coming over the top and landing big shots. Those early leg kicks were nasty, too. I really don't know why he stopped throwing those, I really think that could've drastically changed the fight. Take away Tony's movement and ability to control range.

It was very much and old guard vs. new guard fight. RDA is a typical pressure fighter, which was the dominant "archetype" just a couple years ago. Guys like Aldo, Barao, RDA, come forward, pressure, break guys down with leg kicks and combinations, threaten with takedowns. Now we have guys who've figured out how to deal with that. Guys like Conor, Wonderboy, and Dillashaw who are able to use movement to counter that forward pressure. That's what Tony did too. Movement, controlling range, and unpredictability to stop RDA's pressure. It's very interesting watching the sport evolve like that. In a few years, we'll start to see guys doing something different to counter the new movement "meta".

The eye poke problem in MMA is insane. They really need to change something. The big problem to me is that fighters know they get at least one for free. I'm not accusing Tony of anything here, because that poke looked unintentional and he did voluntarily back up and give RDA space, but some other guys, I'm not so sure. I've seen pokes from guys like Jon Jones and Jake Shields that looked very suspect. The Glover Texeira fight in particular, Jones blatantly stuck his fingers in Glover's eyes a few times. It's something that can very much change the complexion of a fight, and guys get away with doing it. I don't know what the solution is, because inadvertent pokes are always going to happen, and it'd be bad to make it an automatic point deduction and possibly cost guys fights, but something really needs to change.
Posted: 2016-11-06, 8:25 pm

lightmeup
interesting points yeah you know your shit alright, why not just ban open palm strikes to the front of the face? I don't think it'd ruin things too much. When they were saying they were thinking about stopping jon jones style oblique kicks to the knee (to extend fighters careers as they can't fight with shot knees), I nearly lost my mind! As somebody said, "You can elbow me in the face but I can't fuck up your knee a bit?"
I'm just hoping Conor has got the movement to avoid Alvarez' take downs because I feel although he has a good chin, Alvarez is a bit wild and open on the feet and McGregor is really accurate with the straight left and the uppercut isn't bad either. Whether McGregors movement will do him much good against Nurogomedov, I'm not so sure, I will be interested to see how long Michael Johnson can keep their fight standing.
Posted: 2016-11-07, 12:28 am

grimnul Power Kat
Well, Muay Thai guys use an open palm to measure and control distance, so guys coming from a Muay Thai base tend to do it reflexively. It's muscle memory, very difficult to unlearn. Another solution I've seen is to redesign the gloves to be more like the old PRIDE-style gloves, which were more curved and made it harder to fully extend the fingers.

I think Alvarez is at a pretty big disadvantage standing, although if he's able to bully Conor, he might have some success. Conor's movement and control of range is very good, but he does tend to get hit a fair bit. Alvarez, I think, will look to use his wrestling, and I'm really not sure where Conor's TDD is. Nate had trouble taking him down, but the Diaz bros. historically haven't had the best takedowns. They tend to really on either dropping their opponent or hitting a judo throw from the clinch to get the fight to the ground. It's one of the holes in their game, in my opinion. Eddie is a very solid wrestler and is going to be shooting power doubles and single legs from the clinch. I don't know if Conor can stop them or not. He couldn't against Mendes, but that was quite a while ago. His movement and sprawl have likely improved since then.

Khabib... that's a whole different animal. I don't think there's anyone at 155 who's stopping his takedowns. Conor has to be very vigilant about keeping distance, which will also limit his offense. If Khabib gets him down, he's staying down until the round ends. That's a real tough fight for Conor.
Posted: 2016-11-07, 4:45 pm

lightmeup
oh so it's a reflex thing for muay thai guys?, ok. hmmm. it's a tough one, maybe we could invent some kind of goggle that would take a punch ok but also protect the inner eye without protecting from punches or elbows. kind of like an mma contact lens.
Posted: 2016-11-07, 8:32 pm

grimnul Power Kat
Yeah, Muay Thai, it's not really an issue to use an open palm because they wear full gloves, so you can't really poke people. The problem is when they use those techniques in MMA where they wear the fingerless gloves. Obviously, they can't use Muay Thai-style gloves in MMA because that would make grappling impossible.

I think the problem with any kind of goggles or lenses or anything is that the potential is there for them to get pushed into the eye from a strike, which could cause serious damage to the eyeball or the orbital socket. I actually seem to recall a fighter getting a cut on his eye from his contact lense during a fight. I can't remember who it was, though.
Posted: 2016-11-07, 9:09 pm

lightmeup
I was only joking about the lens thing.
Posted: 2016-11-10, 12:16 am

lightmeup
does anyone else think woodley is a good outside bet against wonderboy? i think 11/8 isn't a bad price.
Posted: 2016-11-10, 1:02 am

grimnul Power Kat
That one's tough to call. Wonderboy has a very good style for dealing with wrestlers and trains with Chris Weidman nowadays, so his TDD seems to be very good now. Hendricks is arguably a better wrestler than Woodley (although he has admittedly looked absolutely awful in his last few fights), and he couldn't get Wonderboy down. Neither could Rory. Wonderboy is very good at using his movement to prevent wrestlers from getting in on his hips and has a very good sprawl.

I think Woodley could explode and connect with something big early, but in my opinion, if he doesn't in the first 2 rounds, it's Wonderboy's fight to lose. I think Rory is much more technical than Woodley, as evidenced by the fact that he completely outclassed Woodley, and Wonderboy picked him apart. I could be wrong, but I think Wonderboy's movement and unorthodox techniques are going to give him a big advantage standing, and I don't know if Woodley will be able to take him down consistently. Woodley has the edge in power for sure, but Wonderboy can certainly win by KO too.
Posted: 2016-11-11, 12:20 am

lightmeup
sorry the price is 13/8. I think he could get lucky with a big shot and a badly hurt wonderboy might not be so elusive as usual? he's stong as an ox too that woodley fella and really fucking fast. fast as fuck he is. Wonderboy is a fucking Ninja though. He'd probably fuck up a Ninja.
Posted: 2016-11-11, 8:30 pm

grimnul Power Kat
So, did you happen to put any money on Kelvin being too fat to even bother weighing in?
 [ 51 posts ]  Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Jump to: