Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 51 posts ]  Previous  1, 2, 3
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Re: UFC Sportsbar/coffeeshop open really late in Amsterdam maybe?/Ajax tickets?
Posted: 2016-11-11, 10:10 pm

lightmeup
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
haha no, but my fourfold just became a threefold. Weidman, Nurogamedov and McGregor are still fighting so the bet stands, Cerrone is just void now. then separate bet as an outsider on Woodley to get wonderboy. I don't see many champions priced at 13/8 so it's a calculated risk. If everything comes down to the last fight as to if I make money or not I could even lay some money on Alvarez, especially if the price goes further out... currently at 5/4, not bad at all. Eddie by KO or TKO is 9/2.
Posted: 2016-11-13, 8:08 am

grimnul Power Kat
Fantastic fight.

Great movement and TDD by Wonderboy outside of the first round. Woodley did a very good job exploding to close distance, caught Wonderboy with a great shot in the 4th. Didn't like how he kept putting his back to the fence, I guess he was trying to use it to lure Wonderboy in, he did clinch and reverse him and press him against the cage off a punch at one point. Just seems like a bad habit. He did that against Rory too and Rory picked him apart. That's also where he got caught against Marquardt back in Strikeforce and KO'd. Definitely a no-no in Muay Thai. My instructor would give me shit if I was letting him corner me too much.

Very even fight. A draw was a good call, I think. Woodley won the overall "fight", but Wonderboy scored a lot of points, so if you're judging as a sport, I think he wins. I guess it kind of fucks you if you had money on that fight, though.
Posted: 2016-11-13, 8:51 am

grimnul Power Kat
Well, Conor/Alvarez went about how I thought it would. Eddie is a very similar fighter to Chad Mendes, a little bigger, maybe a little less one-punch power. He's been around a long time, taken a lot of damage. He does tend to get dropped a lot, Michael Chandler dropped him in Bellator several times in both their fights. He's tough and recovers well, but Conor just has a different kind of power. Conor looked very sharp and his TDD was on point. He was landing those shots pretty much at will. Eddie's a solid boxer and wrestler, but not particularly special at either. I just think to beat Conor you need to be better than solid, you need to excel. Well-rounded guys that are good but not great at everything are going to have a tough time, I think. I think you need a guy who is exceptionally good at one thing and is able to impose that one thing on Conor. Nate did that with his jiu jitsu.

The bad news, of course, is that if Conor stays at 155, it's Conor/Khabib next most likely. Khabib looked monstrous tonight. Johnson is a very good wrestler, and Khabib beasted him. He's like Demian Maia, doesn't matter who you are, if he gets you to the ground, you're losing (except I think Khabib has better takedowns). Conor needs to land a big shot fast, or Khabib will do the same thing to him. That's a real tough fight for Conor. It's also possible we get Conor/Tony, though. That'd be very interesting. Tony would have a huge size advantage and has that really funky movement and timing. That's a more competitive fight, I think.

Great night of fights. Nasty KO from Romero, though I do wish he lost because he's one of the dirtiest fighters in the sport. Joanna/Karolina was fun. Wonderboy/Woodley was an instant classic. Very good card from top to bottom.

(Note: Bluto, feel free to move this topic to General/Off-topic if we're bothering people. It started out as a legit Amsterdam info thread and sort of meandered off into us nerding out about MMA)
Posted: 2016-11-13, 11:50 am

AlCaponedLondoner
grimnul wrote:
Well, Conor/Alvarez went about how I thought it would. Eddie is a very similar fighter to Chad Mendes, a little bigger, maybe a little less one-punch power. He's been around a long time, taken a lot of damage. He does tend to get dropped a lot, Michael Chandler dropped him in Bellator several times in both their fights. He's tough and recovers well, but Conor just has a different kind of power. Conor looked very sharp and his TDD was on point. He was landing those shots pretty much at will. Eddie's a solid boxer and wrestler, but not particularly special at either. I just think to beat Conor you need to be better than solid, you need to excel. Well-rounded guys that are good but not great at everything are going to have a tough time, I think. I think you need a guy who is exceptionally good at one thing and is able to impose that one thing on Conor. Nate did that with his jiu jitsu.

The bad news, of course, is that if Conor stays at 155, it's Conor/Khabib next most likely. Khabib looked monstrous tonight. Johnson is a very good wrestler, and Khabib beasted him. He's like Demian Maia, doesn't matter who you are, if he gets you to the ground, you're losing (except I think Khabib has better takedowns). Conor needs to land a big shot fast, or Khabib will do the same thing to him. That's a real tough fight for Conor. It's also possible we get Conor/Tony, though. That'd be very interesting. Tony would have a huge size advantage and has that really funky movement and timing. That's a more competitive fight, I think.

Great night of fights. Nasty KO from Romero, though I do wish he lost because he's one of the dirtiest fighters in the sport. Joanna/Karolina was fun. Wonderboy/Woodley was an instant classic. Very good card from top to bottom.

(Note: Bluto, feel free to move this topic to General/Off-topic if we're bothering people. It started out as a legit Amsterdam info thread and sort of meandered off into us nerding out about MMA)

Great night of fights, as expected. I have to admit I'm pretty buttheart that Mcgregor won but what can I say? He dominated Alvarez and looked class. Rocked Eddie with every left hook and was too much for him. I just wish Eddie hadn't played Conors game and tried to take it to the ground. Which he attempted twice but were pretty half assed. Just shows what a chin Nate has taking that abuse for 5 rounds.

Mcgregor holding two belts bothers me and I don't think it's fair. It's great marketing and a reason for Conor to call himself the best ever. But he should have defended his featherweight before getting a title shot in another division.

I can't believe you didn't mention Khabibs post fight speech Grimnul! It was brilliant and he spoke 100% truth. Truth doesn't seem to matter in the UFC anymore though. It's about money and trash talk. We would all love to see a Khabib/Conor fight but I don't think it will happen. It's to dangerous to Conors legacy. That being said, Khabib was rocked tonight. So will Conors dangerous left hand be a big problem for him. Ground game and its over... no discussion necesary. He make pro fighters look like amateurs it really is amazing.

Loved the Wonderboy/Woodley fight. End was slightly confusing but the right man won in my opinion. Romero is a machine and he will most like end Bispings reign at the top. The polish girls were a huge credit to their country. Edgars recovery was also very immpressive. As was Pennington beating Tate. Shame she's retiring but I think its a good decision.
Posted: 2016-11-13, 2:21 pm

rodney
I think if anyone is going to beat conor they need one of two things. First they need to be of the same size and reach or else they need to be able to take the fight to the ground and keep it there. Of course this is with assuming that the fighter is of a high level. Ferguson or Khabib would therefore be good opponents.
Posted: 2016-11-13, 5:58 pm

lightmeup
Wow, I feel even more fucked up than Eddie Alvarez does today. what a night. Yeah Woodley almost had him in the fourth with the big right hands and the choke but he just couldn't get the finish, Wonderboys movement made woodley freeze up a bit I feel. Conor did the job in style and Nurogomedov also made me a bit of money but I do Worry for Conor if he can't knock Khabib out early, the guy is just scary on the ground.
I put a last minute bet on romero, I'd never seen him before and when I saw him I just turned to my mate and told him to hold the joint while I laid off my weidman bet, the guy is a fucking freak.
Posted: 2016-11-13, 6:54 pm

AlCaponedLondoner
One thing you can say is that Conors trash talk would mean absolutely nothing against Khabib and Ferguson.
Posted: 2016-11-13, 7:02 pm

grimnul Power Kat
Yeah, Khabib did get rocked but he recovered very well. Conor can definitely put him away if he lands something, but I think if Khabib gets rocked, he's going to shoot, and I don't know if Conor can stop him. No one has so far. I think Conor would have to connect perfectly and put him away fast. That's just such a tough fight because again, like Maia, if Khabib gets you down, you've lost the round (if not the fight), period. Conor can absolutely win, it's MMA and every round starts on the feet, but he's at a big disadvantage.

Romero is a scary guy. It's kind of a shame that he's as good as he is, because he's do dirty. He stayed on the stool too long against Kennedy and should've been DQ'd, and was able to take extra time to recover and wound up finishing Keneddy. He grabbed the fence against Jacare to reverse a takedown that probably would've cost him the fight. Just last night he poured water all over himself so the ref had to dry him off and give him extra time to recover. Almost every one of his fights has some sort of controversy. He's also tested positive, though he received only a 6 month suspension because a supplement he had been taking came back as tainted. He's had steroid accusations swirling around him since his Olympic days, though. Also wasn't keen on him showboating while Weidman was in a crumpled heap bleeding from his head.

I've never really been on the Miesha Tate bandwagon. I've never thought she was that good, personally. She's very tough and can gut out wins, but to me, she's like a female Diego Sanchez. I thought Pennington was going to win with her size and boxing. Miesha's striking isn't very good and she's struggled against bigger, stronger opponents with her wrestling. It is always a shame to see a division staple go, though. I'm going to miss watching her bounce around the cage in those little shorts.

I do think the UFC is starting to go down the wrong path, promotionally. The lightweight division is a perfect example of this. Because they decided to do the big money fight in Alvarez/McGregor so Conor could get his second belt, you now have a situation where there are two very deserving top contenders in Ferguson and Khabib, and one of them is gonna get fucked. Khabib is 24-0 and has very legit wins against top guys. Ferguson is on a 9 fight streak and just beat RDA. Both should've gotten a title shot by now, but the UFC decided to let Conor have his way instead. Now you're going to wind up with someone being very upset. It's like I said before, I'm not sure how good Conor actually is for the sport. I think his rise has had some very bad effects on the UFC. I don't blame Conor for promoting himself and trying to make as much money as he can, but I do blame the UFC for putting money over the integrity of the sport. I think this sort of decision making is going to bite them in the ass down the road.

The only fair solution, I think, is to have Conor go back to 145, leave 155 vacant, and let Tony and Khabib fight for the title. I think we all know that's not going to happen, though.
Posted: 2016-11-13, 7:28 pm

AlCaponedLondoner
In terms of money and views Conor has improved the sport massively. But to a lot fans like myself we don't care for all the showboating and bullshit. I just want to see quality fights. Woodley/Wonderboy was a perfect example of how you can be nice and respectful but still make a better fight than a shit talking competition that was Mcgregor/Alvarez.

i don't think Mcgregor is challenged enough in the featherweight division just because of his power. I think lightweight is his division. But, if he wants to stay in the division he has to fight one of those two guys in the near future. Personally I think he'll take a break and Khabib & Ferguson will fight for the interim. Then he'll come back and it'll made up to be a super fight. I don't think he'll fight Nate again. That being said, money talks. If he does drop to featherweight it's gotta be Frankie that fights him.
Posted: 2016-11-13, 9:10 pm

lightmeup
If last night taught us anything, it taught us that Nate Diaz has an iron jaw.
Posted: 2016-11-13, 11:32 pm

grimnul Power Kat
In terms of exposure, Conor is good for the sport, no question. However, it doesn't seem like he's easing all boats so to speak for other fighters. Average pay hasn't gone up, and the UFC has fucked over quite a few other fighters in giving Conor what he wants. I'm afraid that the UFC is going to wind up alienating a lot of fighters in the long run and the sport will suffer for it. I just feel like they're putting all their eggs in the McGregor basket (and to a lesser extent, the Ronda Rousey basket, though she's already said she's not going to be back for long, and thank god for that!) and I'm not sure how wise that is. I like Conor when he's not "in character", but I don't like him when he's in "Mystic Mac" mode. I guess the key is nowadays, if you want to be successful, you need to act like a huge asshole and say outrageous things that are objectively factually untrue.

I think if Conor goes back to 145, Aldo has to be the next fight, assuming the UFC can even get him to fight again at this point. He's the interim champ and just decisively beat Frankie. Honestly, after last night, I don't think we need to see Conor/Frankie. I think it goes exactly the same way as Alvarez/Conor. Frankie is very similar to Eddie, only smaller and with less power. He also, like Eddie, has a tendency to get rocked and recover and rally. Even in the Stephens fight last night that happened. We saw last night that you can't do that against Conor. Relying on your toughness and tenacity to gut out a win against him won't work.
 [ 51 posts ]  Previous  1, 2, 3

Jump to: