Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 4 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Zombie Apocalypse game in Amsterdam (for something different)
Posted: 2017-09-03, 9:41 pm

TurricaN
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Not sure if anyone here knows about this, but thought maybe someone might be interested in case you find yourself doing the same things every time you're in A'dam. ;)

The game is played in a huge room using virtual reality to put your team in all kinds of different locations. Each player is armed with a gun from a choice of three), and you must survive several different zombie attacks as a team. You only progress if at least one player survives.

So I gotta say, this is one of the most intense expierences I've ever had, and the way the technology works is like some kind of magic. Despite being completely blind to the real world (thanks to wearing a head mounted display), you won't run into othe players or walls because you can see digital representations of them in the game! I just can't stress how strangely natural it feels to see other players in the virtual world!

Anyway, the game itself is amazing fun; unlike home VR systems, it really fulfils on the promise of literally being inside a videogame. I've never expierenced anything like it.

Since I booked on my own, I ended up being paired up with another group of four, but playing as a tesm is definitely the best way to do it.

Anyway, it's called "De VR Arcade" and I seriously reccomend giving it a try. You won't be disappointed!
Re: Zombie Apocalypse game in Amsterdam (for something different)
Posted: 2017-09-04, 7:14 pm

glasgowguy_69
This actually sounds pretty good fun for a sober activity and a good way of keeping me out of the bars, coffee shops & windows a while.

A few questions if that's ok -

Where is this?

What's the cost?

What's the average time it lasts?

Thanks

Posted: 2017-09-04, 8:47 pm

TurricaN
It's located north of Central Station. You can take the free ferry from behind the station to Buiksloterweg, then it's about fifteen minutes walking.

The cost is €32.50 per player for a 30 minute game. It's definitely not cheap, but it does also include about 20 mins of other VR games (PC-based Oculus Rift games), which can also be fun if you've never tried VR before. They also have a bar, so you can get a beer to celebrate your victory after finishing the main game too. :)

Despite being expensive, I think it's worth trying at least once just because it's so unlike anything I've ever tried before.

I think it might be best to book in advance, since the capacity is very limited (only five people can play the game at a time).

I found a pretty decent video on YouTube that shows what the game looks like (both in-game environment, and the people playing it in the real world), which you can see here. Perhaps this gives a better idea of what to expect.
Re: Zombie Apocalypse game in Amsterdam (for something different)
Posted: 2017-09-06, 11:59 pm

IQ
It looks pretty cool. Here is their website http://www.devrarcadeamsterdam.nl
 [ 4 posts ] 

Jump to: