Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 39 posts ]  1, 2  Next
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Back in Amsterdam
Posted: 2017-11-11, 5:30 pm

DogsAfirePower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
At last.

A long series of months, culminating with an intense few weeks to meet some very hard and very visible deadlines at work has finally ended. My team needed to produce results that could be understood by business mangers. Frequency plots and spreadsheets are fine, but they don't do a good job of conveying why the business is going to make more money by continuing a particular line of research. I honestly didn't know if we would be able to do it. Two different paths of investigation showed promise but had difficulty with repeatability. Literally in the last few days available, it worked. In fact, both methods worked. The task was then to translate the science into boardroom discussion material.

At the same time seemingly dozens of other distractions were going on. In particular, early in the year I had agreed to fly to Bahrain to give a week long school regarding the instruments we make. It was material that I hadn't looked at for two years and I had to do a little work to remember most of the details. The timing was tight enough that I emailed the last few PowerPoint slides to my boss for his presentation to higher ups from Amsterdam between flights on my way to Bahrain.

I arrived back in Amsterdam yesterday morning and I frequently do, I went to the Grand Cafe near the Arrivals 3 area at Schiphol airport. My arrival times when I fly through Amsterdam are almost always in the morning. I can't get into a hotel room until the afternoon (very often 3:00), so there is no hurry.

As I was sitting at my table, I was surprised to see a very different style of suitcase as a group of people approached the restaurant. Instead of the normal solid colors (or sometimes polka dots), it featured what was clearly a very professionally done picture of a beautiful woman with equally beautiful long, flowing blonde hair.

Model suitcaseC.jpg
Model suitcaseC.jpg [ 949.97 KiB ]

Imagine my further surprise then, when I looked up to see that the woman standing beside the suitcase was the one on the suitcase. This wider view of my earlier picture below only shows her from behind but I saw her from the front and there is going to be no question at the baggage pickup whose suitcase it is. Nice way to start a vacation.

Model suitcase2.jpg
Model suitcase2.jpg [ 573.51 KiB ]
The one that got away
Posted: 2017-11-12, 2:20 am

DogsAfirePower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
This is only my first full day here and I'm still short on sleep. I'm not really ready to get fully in the spirit of seeing the girls yet.

But it couldn't hurt to have a walk around, could it? It is a completely new scene to me these days and I have to rework my mental maps. There seems to be a fad among the window girls of wearing oversized fake glasses. As expected, nothing was particularly catching my attention when I suddenly found myself on OZA, headed toward Agniezka's room. I was torn. I wasn't really ready to enjoy the time if she was there. But if she indeed was there, I should jump at the chance. I have what I call my "open curtain rule" which is that if you pass a window where the curtain is open and you know the girl on the other side of the glass is a certain thing, then forget whatever else you are doing and go in.

My mind can quickly go a dozen different places though, and I was deep in some other thought when I realized I was halfway past Agniezka's window. She gave me a little wave and I smiled back at her, but I didn't really think I was up to it and I kept on walking. No more than 10 meters later I invoked the open curtain rule. I turned and headed back to her room only to see her open the door for another guy. She saw me headed toward her and gave me a "Too bad buddy. You had your chance" look.

I had to laugh. I did one of those snap your fingers and point maneuvers that says "You got me", which she saw, and turned back the other way as she closed the door.

That, good sirs, is the reason for the open curtain policy in the first place. Your opportunity can vanish in seconds. Will I ever see the curtain open again while I'm here?

the dogs
Re: Back in Amsterdam
Posted: 2017-11-12, 2:29 am

weasel9x9Supporting Member
Supporting Member
The rule in Amsterdam:

You snooze, you lose!
Never pass up the chance to visit an old friend.

This should be an interesting report.

Weasel

Posted: 2017-11-12, 4:48 am

grimnul Power Kat
Yup. Especially with Agnieszka, if I see her curtain open, I am making a beeline to her door and god help you if you get in my way.
Posted: 2017-11-12, 11:05 am

DogsAfirePower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
grimnul wrote:
Yup. Especially with Agnieszka, if I see her curtain open, I am making a beeline to her door and god help you if you get in my way.

Is that who that was...
The guy was wasting no time getting in her door.

dogs
Posted: 2017-11-12, 3:43 pm

grimnul Power Kat
Nah, wasn't me. I'm back home now, grappling with asshole bureaucrats who won't allow me to do any renovations on my new property that hasn't been updated in 30 years for no apparent reason. Envy me.
Posted: 2017-11-14, 9:25 am

The Kman
Quote:
Imagine my further surprise then, when I looked up to see that the woman standing beside the suitcase was the one on the suitcase.

Those suitcases are a bit of a trend of late. I saw a place in one of the millions of shopping malls in Dubai last August taking orders for them. You provide the image in any format and they will provide the end product. I think it is just a large printed sticker that is professionally applied from what I could see, I'm open to being corrected. In any event, it would make suitcase identification at airports a lot easier.
Posted: 2017-11-14, 1:31 pm

DogsAfirePower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
Sounds like a vinyl wrap. I have a friend who knows about doing vinyl. They will wrap your entire car for you if you want. Looks good too.

the dogs
Striking out
Posted: 2017-11-14, 7:54 pm

DogsAfirePower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
I really have only two girls remaining working with whom I have an established relationship. So I have to try something new to keep options available. From the reports here it seemed that Ella and Veronica are highly regarded in areas that interest me, so I put them on the list to look for. I have also been looking for Simona, as we have at least been together before and she seems to be getting good reports lately too.

Haven't seen any of them. Well, maybe I did see Ella, but it was before I knew what I was looking for. Quite cute, if I have the right one.

I have also been getting rejected a lot. It only takes a fraction a second. The instant that eye contact is made, they immediately look away. Hell no! I'm not fucking my grandpa! Some won't make eye contact. A few will even shake their head no. Can't blame them really. And it needs to remain their choice as well. I just don't remember getting rejected quiiiiiiite this often before.

I did get to see Agnieszka after losing her to another guy by seconds the day before. I'll post a report on that shortly and put a link in this thread. I have seen Haley too. I have a report written longhand that still needs to be transcribed and edited. Both girls were outstanding. Sometimes the magic happens and sometimes it doesn't. This time the magic has been happening. I could have called it good yesterday and gone home, as far as girls are concerned, and I would have been happy. It has been a good visit. Who knows, perhaps it is my last.

Headed out to Baba again tonight. I met a young black dude there last evening and he was interesting enough that we agreed to talk a bit more tonight. Very outgoing and with a strong curiosity about everything. Very genuine too. I got some good pictures at Baba last night too. I'll post them on my thread on the weed board when I get them processed viewtopic.php?f=29&t=25402.

the dogs
Posted: 2017-11-15, 5:44 pm

DogsAfirePower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
I finally met Veronica. Her curtain had been closed all day and I finally saw the curtain open. She was on her phone and I knocked lightly. When she answered the door she made a sound like "oh my god, not another one..." Unfortunately she is leaving work today at 5 and the last guy left after 4:30. At least I know what she looks like now. She gave me her schedule for tomorrow. That girl stays busy. There are just a couple of time slots remaining. All I want is a meet and greet session anyway. My time too is mostly spoken for tomorrow.

the dogs
Posted: 2017-11-17, 3:04 am

DogsAfirePower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
My fucking feet and my fucking lower fucking legs all fucking hate me.

I have forced endless walks upon them. They have revolted and I ignored them. I forced them onward. I have no idea what sort of torture they will have in store for me during the flight.

I have found that having an adventure and documenting it at the same time can be quite at odds from time to time. I'm not doing too bad at recording details longhand and I have a lot of pictures in the can, maybe some night scenes. A lot of street art at NDSM. Very different from Spuistraat though.

I have to return to the real world. I'm gruesomely tired but I still have to do a final repack. I'm pushing weight limits. I'll get over it. My fucking feet and fucking legs had better fucking get over it. Overall, I couldn't have asked for anything more

Except time
More time

the dogs
Posted: 2017-11-17, 3:49 am

ebbtide
What a great post. Thank you. There are some fine writers in this forum.

ebb
Posted: 2017-11-17, 5:09 pm

Supporting Member
I can hear your legs and feet all the way from here.
They are trying to tell you something.
Do you know what they are telling you?

"Get a bike. Get a bike. GET A BIKE!"

Weasel

Posted: 2017-11-18, 12:40 am

grimnul Power Kat
I know this feeling. I'm not so young anymore, after one of these long trips I do, my body is just broken. Everything hurts. Usually wind up getting sick afterwards too, due to jetlag, recycled airplane air, and just being run down. Price we pay to do what we do. We all of us fly too close to the sun.
Posted: 2017-11-18, 11:31 pm

DogsAfirePower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
Exactly the case here grimnul. I'm getting too old which my body reminds about constantly. As for sick, the reason I am in Amsterdam is because I have just spent a week in Bahrain conducting a week-long training. The training was held in a small conference room and two of my students were coughing, hacking and sneezing the entire time. I kept saying to myself, I had better not get sick from these two. All this work to get to my vacation in Amsterdam, and I end up sick.

Well I did fight it off until Wednesday, but I could feel myself slipping. I was able to patch myself up again for the three hour long last day going away session with Haley on Thursday though. Wouldn't have missed that for anything. But I let it all go afterward. Trying not to cough too much on the passengers near me on the airplanes.

Today I still hurt, my legs still feel like wood, my nose is stuffed and I generally feel like shit. But I had a great welcome home from my very understanding (well, very tolerant anyway) girlfriend, who knows about Haley, Agnieszka, et al (and has an account at ignatzmice) and that made things feel a lot better.

I have a lot of pictures to process and thoughts to collect.

the dogs
Posted: 2017-11-19, 12:43 am

Supporting Member
Great Little Feat Song

"Old Folks Boogie"

Well you know
That you're over the hill
When your mind makes a promise
That your body can't fill!

Weasel

Posted: 2017-11-20, 12:30 am

DogsAfirePower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
I ran into this guy in Amsterdam. Seemed to know a lot about certain portions of the city.
We hung out a bunch and he told me a few stories about other people he had helped guide through the city. Sounded like they had fun, the way he told it.

Maskshop Venice Devil2.jpg
Maskshop Venice Devil2.jpg [ 869.99 KiB ]
Then and now
Posted: 2017-11-20, 1:33 am

DogsAfirePower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
I encountered the black and white portion of this photo shortly before leaving on my trip. I thought I would try a now/then blend. There was a large advertising thing and a dumpster right where I would have liked to stand for the photo, but it worked out OK.

I wish the people of my country could remember this a little better

De Waag Then and Now.jpg
De Waag Then and Now.jpg [ 523.37 KiB ]
Posted: 2017-11-21, 12:49 pm

HCSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Great stuff dogs. More photos please.

Love the “open curtain rule”.

Sad seeing that fence.