Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 8 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
NDSM-werf, the NDSM wharf
Posted: 2017-12-08, 4:43 am

DogsAfirePower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
After the street art area on Spuistraat was taken over by developers, I went looking for where the artists had gravitated to. It seems that the NDSM wharf, on the north side of the water, is the place to be. So I dedicated some time to the area on this trip. However, I was unprepared sheer size of the area and I didn't allow enough time to do it justice. I would be surprised if I covered 1/4 of it. I encourage others who have visited this area to contribute to this thread because I really know very little about the place and it looks as though there is more of interest there as well. Perhaps even entertainment. I don't know.

Getting there
It is ridiculously easy to get there. Go to Centraal Station and go all the way through, past all of the train platforms to the IJ side. This is foreign territory for me in Centraal Station. It looks different.

NDSM IJ-zijde2.jpg
NDSM IJ-zijde2.jpg [ 781.1 KiB ]

Go out the other side of the train station and turn left to the ferry docks. Go all the way down until you see a giant bicycle parking area. That is the dock for the NDSM ferry. The ferry runs every half hour and is free. It runs until past 2 am on Friday and Saturday. Bless you Amsterdam.

NDSM Ferry Dock2.jpg
NDSM Ferry Dock2.jpg [ 500.05 KiB ]

NDSM Ferry Times2.jpg
NDSM Ferry Times2.jpg [ 432.33 KiB ]

It's a short trip and provides a different view of the city. Lots of different boats along the way. A nice old building here and there. But then...
Then there was this:

Strange BuildingC2.jpg
Strange BuildingC2.jpg [ 719.1 KiB ]

Whose idea was that? It looks like someone stacked up a bunch of shipping containers of different sizes. Was it made from a giant Lego set? Is this one of the 3-D printed houses I have heard about? And look at the lovely old brick building right next to it. The poor thing must be embarrassed.

When we go to the dock at the NDSM wharf, I saw something else unexpected - a submarine. Tagged with paint, of course.

NDSM Submarine2.jpg
NDSM Submarine2.jpg [ 372.29 KiB ]

Immediately upon disembarking, I encountered the Sexyland location that I posted in my Back in Amsterdam thread. That wasn't what I was there for though, so I bypassed it and headed the direction that I saw a number of other people going. The paintings were everywhere and on a much grander scale than Spuistraat. More like 5 Pointz in New York.
Re: NDSM-werf, the NDSM wharf
Posted: 2017-12-09, 6:48 am

weasel9x9Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Dogs,

Your "Strange Building" is the MVRDV Silodam.
It was the winning entry in an architecture competition about a decade ago.
I cringe to think what the losing designs looked like.
It is a mixed use, mixed income housing development.
Mixed and architecture should not go together.
The older building to the south is the old passenger terminal for ocean going ships, but I think it is currently empty.
I like the Westerdock/Islands area, but some of the new buildings going up there are just awful.

Weasel

Posted: 2017-12-10, 12:39 am

DogsAfirePower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
Thanks Weasel

Competition winner? I thought some slum lord had put the thing together on the cheap out of leftover building supplies. It's hideous. I wonder what the judging was based on. Aesthetics and energy efficiency certainly weren't part of the criteria.

The old terminal must have seen some grand times.

the dogs
Posted: 2017-12-10, 1:14 am

DogsAfirePower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
I don't know of any real way to organize the art. It isn't in any given place. It's sort of scattered everywhere. I didn't have any sort of map, so I just wandered about. It was sort of odd because the NDSM wharf really is a functioning shipping area. As you walk past buildings there is the sound of metal being ground or hammered. Workers drive about in cars while tourists and artists stroll around gawking or eyeing up their next canvas. I saw some people pulling wheeled suitcases and initially thought that they were tourists, but on second thought I think that the suitcases may have been full of cans of paint. I could literally smell the fresh paint in the air.

I guess we can start at Ghostface Killahstraat

NDSM Ghostface Killahstraat2.jpg
NDSM Ghostface Killahstraat2.jpg [ 779.88 KiB ]

NDSM Lizard2.jpg
NDSM Lizard2.jpg [ 961.38 KiB ]

NDSM Coin Collector2.jpg
NDSM Coin Collector2.jpg [ 816.5 KiB ]

NDSM Black People2.jpg
NDSM Black People2.jpg [ 987.76 KiB ]

NDSM Kid2.jpg
NDSM Kid2.jpg [ 900.86 KiB ]

Abstract isn't my cup of tea, but who's to judge street art?

NDSM Abstract2.jpg
NDSM Abstract2.jpg [ 978.26 KiB ]

And we've all heard about playing air guitar, but how many have ever tried ass guitar?

NDSM Ass Guitar2.jpg
NDSM Ass Guitar2.jpg [ 841.11 KiB ]
Posted: 2017-12-12, 4:33 am

DogsAfirePower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
Just about everything that could be painted was painted. Shipping containers, walls, doors, rocks, windows, concrete barriers, storage tanks, trailers, even the concrete surface.

NDSM Shipping Containers2.jpg
NDSM Shipping Containers2.jpg [ 514.68 KiB ]

NDSM Jazeetie2.jpg
NDSM Jazeetie2.jpg [ 768.46 KiB ]

NDSM Anchor Ship2.jpg
NDSM Anchor Ship2.jpg [ 863.93 KiB ]

NDSM Wolf2.jpg
NDSM Wolf2.jpg [ 661.72 KiB ]

NDSM Voodoom2.jpg
NDSM Voodoom2.jpg [ 745.18 KiB ]

NDSM Halloween2.jpg
NDSM Halloween2.jpg [ 625.45 KiB ]

NDSM Behind the Fence2.jpg
NDSM Behind the Fence2.jpg [ 439.81 KiB ]

NDSM Nemo2.jpg
NDSM Nemo2.jpg [ 981.47 KiB ]

NDSM Pals2.jpg
NDSM Pals2.jpg [ 749.52 KiB ]

NDSM Tank2.jpg
NDSM Tank2.jpg [ 907.78 KiB ]

NDSM Sex2.jpg
NDSM Sex2.jpg [ 769.09 KiB ]

NDSM Mr Joe2.jpg
NDSM Mr Joe2.jpg [ 734.4 KiB ]

NDSM Panda2.jpg
NDSM Panda2.jpg [ 895.8 KiB ]

Yet when you turn around, this is what you see

NDSM Industry2.jpg
NDSM Industry2.jpg [ 683.19 KiB ]
Posted: 2017-12-21, 8:30 am

420 Power Kat
Nice pics..I have take the ferry to the Film Museum. A different perspective from the other side.

Posted: 2018-01-09, 1:02 pm

Reacher81
Nice photos and guide to getting there, will definitely go have a look when I’m there next week for the Hearthstone World Champ’s ;)
Posted: 2018-01-12, 3:04 am

officematt2002
I checked this out in December and we had a great time poking about. Some good bars in the area as well. Wish I had more time as there was definitely more to see over there.
 [ 8 posts ] 

Jump to: