Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 18 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Nice AMS hotel near RLD with larger room for 2
Posted: 2019-04-18, 4:48 am

neurosynthPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
When I go to Amsterdam I usually stay alone, and typically in a RLD hotel with a small medium priced room. (Hotel CC in recent years.)

This time I'm bringing a girlfriend along, and I'd like something that isn't like living in a space capsule.

In terms of expense we can afford something nice but not crazy. On a scale of 1-10 like a 7 or 8.

Suggestions?

Posted: 2019-04-18, 12:39 pm

officematt2002
It should be easy finding something online. I use booking.com although others may have their preferences. City Hotel on PrinsHendrikskaade is one of my favourites but I find it is popular and you need to book a bit ahead of time. Less than ten minute walk to the RLD.
Re: Nice AMS hotel near RLD with larger room for 2
Posted: 2019-04-18, 7:03 pm

grimnul Power Kat
I always stay at the Grand Hotel Amrath. Perfect location, very comfortable rooms (plus a free minibar!), and it’s fairly reasonable. I usually book through Expedia, Amrath has a deal with Expedia, I believe, their nightly rate is comparable to a 3-star hotel despite being 5-stars.
Posted: 2019-04-18, 7:57 pm

neurosynthPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
Thanks for the feedback, and any more is welcome.

I'm pretty good at using the various online tools, but hearing from individuals one recognizes on a board like this gives a different kind of insight.

cheers!

Posted: 2019-04-18, 7:57 pm

neurosynthPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX

I'm pretty good at using the various online tools, but hearing from individuals one recognizes on a board like this gives a different kind of insight.

cheers!

Posted: 2019-04-18, 8:17 pm

bendover1004
I prefer an apartment and you can pick some decent ones up for around the price of a hotel, also like the boat option as well
Posted: 2019-04-19, 5:53 pm

neurosynthPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
By apt. do you mean Airbnb.com?

Posted: 2019-04-20, 7:13 pm

bendover1004
I’ve used air bnb but there are several others as well
Posted: 2019-04-20, 7:14 pm

officematt2002
neurosynth wrote:

cheers!

Free minibar! I’ll have to check it out next time (not just for that but also because I’ve walked by this place dozens of times). Looks nice with big rooms as well.
Posted: 2019-04-21, 4:42 pm

drizzle
Wife and I stayed in the Amrath once and it was fantastic. The building itself is really interesting with a lot of history and neat features. The service was good and the cocktails first class. We got a good deal booking it as a ‘mystery’ hotel on last minute.com It’s such a distinctive place that we exactly where it was (spend 5 minutes looking at the Amrath website and you’ll know all you need.) we are going to try and get it again in June.
Posted: 2019-04-22, 8:12 pm

neurosynthPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely check it out.

Posted: 2019-04-23, 11:08 pm

retro Power Kat
I'd also recommend the City hotel. Few minutes walk from the centre, buffet style breakfast. If you book directly with the hotel you get a 10% discount. Cityhotelamsterdam.com
Posted: 2019-04-24, 3:06 am

weasel9x9Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Neuro,

I've stayed on and off at the Victoria for nearly 20 years. Business hotel, no surprises.
Dead smack in the middle of everything, just across from Centraal station, but prices are all over the place. I've had the suites that face north over the Damrak and the harbor, and the view is great.
Immediately south is the Arts'hotel. nicer, but more expensive. Great bar on the second floor with remarkable views of Prins Henrikade.
Both are on most of the websites, and sometimes at very low prices. Anything below 200E is good, and sometimes you can get them on short notice under 100E.
The Krasnapolsky is also nice, but a little more expensive. I've been there a dozen times. The Kras apartments are great, and very reasonably priced, but I think you need a week minimum stay.
The Sheraton Pulitzer in the Jordaan is VERY nice, but regularly goes for 300E. A block south of the Westkerk, can't beat the location .

Unless somebody else is paying my bill, I don't stay in the hotels anymore, and prefer apartments. My all-time favorite, AmsterdamChoice.com apartment is now long term rental only.
I've had very good luck on airbnb and Tripadvisor with apartments and houseboats. You have spent enough time in Amsterdam that you don't need the help of Hotel staff. There are several houseboats on Airbnb at the north end of the Prinsengracht that are very nice. I'm staying in a houseboat in May just across the Ij from the back of Centraal Station, and can't recommend the area enough. 5 minute free ferry to Amsterdam Central, but once you are on the North island, it is like a little Dutch town. Same for the NDSM dock area, just a 15 minute ferry ride. There are several rentals in the area, including a very cheap Park Inn with GREAT views back to the city. Avoid the Botel at all costs. I wouldn't recommend the area for a first time visitor, but when you know your way around, there is something magical about taking the ferries home at the end of an adventurous day.

Weasel

Posted: 2019-04-24, 11:13 am

neurosynthPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
Thanks Retro! And especially thanks to weasel9x9 for the quick virtual tour of nicer RLD hotels and non-hotel options. Like I mentioned I usually just get a little space capsule of a room if it’s just me. But at this point I know the rest quite well. First time with a girlfriend in tow. Will only be enjoying one of the two famous paid vices, but I’m sure she will keep me happily distracted in that regard. Especially in conjunction with our botany experiments! We both have work stuff in different parts of EU for a couple weeks, but will converge on AMS for an extended weekend before flying back. Life is good!

Posted: 2019-04-28, 8:43 pm

IQ
Hey Neuro,

I've stayed a few times at Inntel Centre which is close to the central station and not far from Amnesia, my favorite coffee shop. It's a pretty straightforward place with good value for the price. Very clean, nice linens, good breakfast.

A bit farther afield, but I also enjoyed the Amsterdam Hilton on a couple of occasions. It's south of Vondelpark, so the location may not suit you. On the other hand it is right on a canal with a small marina. In the evenings I would smoke a joint down by the boats. The windows open and I would sit in the window seats and enjoy a smoke in my room. Also, John and Yoko had their "Bed-In for Peace" there 50 years ago last month. The Hilton does tend to be pricey, but when I stayed there it's because I found a good price online.
Posted: 2019-04-29, 4:21 am

420 Power Kat
Hey Neuro

I did the same thing a few months ago and brought a GF to AMS for the first time. We stayed at the Hotel L'Europe for the first few nights and then after two weeks returned to stay at the Inntel. Depending on your price range most of the NH Hotels have larger rooms. The Inntel was a great option and location.

I will be there in three weeks,,staying at the Barbizon Palace for $200 and then Die Port Van Clieve for about $150 on the back side.

Cheers

Posted: 2019-04-30, 2:09 am

neurosynthPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
Hey IQ and 420, this is all good info! I had forgotten that I actually stayed at the Hilton once when I had to book at the last minute. I wanted to be in the RLD so that was a little bit of a hassle, but it was otherwise a quite pleasant stay. One night I found a frisky little number at the Candy Club and took her back to the Hilton. Good times!

Posted: 2019-05-28, 2:01 am

neurosynthPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions. I thought I'd close the loop by letting you know that I ended up going with one of the first suggestions, Grand Hotel Amrath. We were able to get a Junior Suite for a good price for 4 days, and it's about twice the size of a regular room for $50 more a day.

looking forward to July. It's been too long!

neurosynth

[ 18 posts ] 

Jump to: